Don't Miss This Summer's Ethereal Weapons Drops!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roshen, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Natasha Member

I 'earn' the money I use to pay for my account, does that count?
    Belenos likes this.
  2. Catnmouse New Member

I feel your pain about gear snubbing, but if you don't try to get better gear you will never advance. It take steps to get the gear. Do the advanced solos get all the gear you can or master craft some gear, then try to get into some heroic groups. I am not very lucky when it comes to getting ethereals. Look for a friendly guild that welcomes grouping and get involved.
    Kokos
  3. Belenos Well-Known Member

You know my favorite whine of all? The whine of one of these "Uber" players (who makes a few thousand plat each week from SLR) about how much plat he will have to pay me (or someone else) for a krono on the broker.

I just smile, take his plat, and then give him his own plat back in exchange for his attunable ethereal weapon! :p

Sorry, but I could not resist! Irony of this magnitude is impossible to ignore!
    Charlice and hwy101 like this.
  4. Breta Well-Known Member

I have high hopes for priest 2h in next waves. 1h is terrible choice dps wise.
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

RNG is *random*. These are not meant to be "one ethereal weapon for every toon" either. They're supposed to be rare.

"Random" means that its possible for one person to go hundreds of times without getting the coveted drop, while another gets it three times running. Over *large* sample numbers, the observed drop rate will closely approximate whatever percentage the devs have set.

What everyone here is basically saying is "I haven't got my ethereal yet and that's wrong". But it's actually not wrong. You may want it instantly, but what makes uber weapons really desirable is their rarity. Remember the days when raiders would stand in Qeynos Harbor (and I'm sure elsewhere) AFK all day, just posing with their Qeynos Defender? People envied the heck out of them, and they gloried in it.

A game designer has two ways to go with a uber item: either make it very rare and let the RNG do its thing, or put it at the end of a long and painful questline like the Qeynos Defender.

I think I may have mentioned this before, but you have to have things to look forward to. The point is AN-TICI.... PATION!
    Charlice and Sambril like this.
  6. Enigma Active Member

This event just favors botters nothing else to it..
    hwy101 and Neiloch like this.
  7. Yoply New Member

I always laugh when new ethereal weapons are launched with a cry from the dev's
    of "Dropping in-game, don't miss out!"

I've been playing since launch and of course since they introduced ethereal drops.
    but even though I run Heroics etc .I have never yet seen one drop never mind winning the roll.
    now some might say this is just bad luck or i'm just a having a moan, far from it. I'm not too
    bothered if I have a ethereal or not ( having never had one I've never missed not having one)

Would we all like to see a fairer system in place instead of the present system of random drops helping
    the few and, of course, the feeling that the same people just seem to win more than one and have to
    sell it to the "Uber" players......oh the sweet irony

Personally, I would prefer a system that after you win a ethereal weapon you have a marker attached
    to your toon that prevents you winning/buying another and the percentage for them dropping is
    slightly increased for everyone else, even then I don't think I'd win one but I would feel a little fairer.

I know what I think, even though I'm a old addict who keeps coming back for more, I will never
    win one of these items because i just don't have the time to spare and i wont buy one out of
    principle. so listen up Daybreak, this promotion is a total waste of time to alot of your playerbase
    who are in the same situation as myself, it will only favour the few, but in the spirit of fairness...

well played to them.
    Natasha likes this.
  8. quaill New Member

Seriously......a bunch of whiners. I play a few hours a week mainly only on weekends because i'm gone for 14+ hours a day throughout the week. I play a RP toon that quests at lower levels, if i can find a group awesome if I can't almost everything is soloable now anyways. I play my main toon and get groups all the time. Just look for an active guild. I know the game has died down a lot but there are still guilds out there that group. Also make sure you are geared out well in yellow gear/ jewlery, then blue then green. Look for things rather than sitting around crying that no one is grouping.
  9. DarkE New Member

A couple things..

First, has it been confirmed that these drop in event heroic? During the podcast that question was asked and there was never definitive answer. I assume heroic zones includes event heroic but I want to be sure so I don't waste my time in those zones if not. Has anyone found one in event heroic yet?

Second, and this is just my opinion, these items should be heirloom. Being tradeable encourages people to need on an item that is not for their class, robbing the class in group that actually needs it, just to sell it. I've seen 1 drop out of about 100 zones which was the mage ethereal. There was 1 mage in the group so naturally 4 of us chose greed congratulating the mage. Unfortunately the 1 random person in the group, an assassin, chooses need and tried to take it. Luckily he lost and the item went to the mage where it belonged. I then called him out on it and he left group and logged out and has all of his alts blocked on eq2u. Some may say this is our fault, and in a way I agree. Never again will I trust anyone I am unfamiliar with. But situation like this could easily be reduced, if not prevented, by making these items heirloom. If you want to sell them or if you get a class ethereal that no one needs then SLR in auction. These items are hard enough to find so an additional 1/6 roll after you finally find one just seems crazy to me, unless of course you are with people you trust, but that can take even longer to find one if you have to wait for friends to log on just to run the zones. Just my opinion from experience, I'm fine with it either way.
    Sydnye likes this.
  10. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

At this stage of the game's lifespan... being max level ain't racing to the finish line...

Seriously, the majority of the player base has at least one toon at max level, probably more. Focusing on level 100 development isn't unreasonable, in fact it's completely reasonable and the best use of limited developer time in terms of creating content that's going to reach the most amount of people.

Despite what a lot of people think, the majority of the player base is playing at end game, and the majority are in fact able to complete heroic content if they so choose to.
    Neiloch likes this.
  11. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

Gratz to the top 5%, mere mortals will never see them drop.
  12. Ludovicus New Member

Over 100 runs in various Heroics and events and all we ever get are Master spells I mean Cmon now
  13. Adonic New Member

Captain's Log:

Day 5. Been grouping in heroics all day for 4 days now. No sign of these ethereal weapons. Not even 1. I fear the madness will overcome my party and I, driving us to eat our mounts or even worse, each other.

Adonic
    Sydnye, Belenos, Wintir and 5 others like this.
  14. Grif Member

same here as I posted in another thread. My guild run's anywhere from 2-5 heroic's daily plus a lot of member's pug. not 1 ethereal has been seen. why in aom is drop chance different than tov? in tov everyone had own personal ethereal chance crate's on every quest plus 2 crate's for hkc. you could even do the daily battleground's quest which had ethereal chance crate on every max level toon. I did 7 a day. now in aom the whole group only has a chance on the last name? so either add crate's back or make it possible for an ethereal to drop off any name in heroic's and not just last. maybe also choose a random name in contested zone's for it to drop off of and randomly change it. by this time in tov we had atleast 6 people with an ethereal. that many member's x heroic's run x day's ethereal's available seem's fair. at this point in aom we have done the same and not 1 drop.
  15. Karsa Active Member

Lol
    Wish they give us a heritage or sig quest that lets you earn a ethereal but till again I guess it's 'beam me up Scotty'
    Wintir and Neiloch like this.
  16. Crychtonn Active Member

Congratulations DBG on the most epic failure for a promotion in quite some time!
    Devilz and Tru of Guk like this.
  17. Throkar New Member

Was looking forward to the ethereals but after reading about the horrible drop rates I decided to take a summerbreak from EQ2 for other games.
    CoLD MeTaL likes this.
  18. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

I would 100% rather have a long quest to get something than a RNG chance at something. The RNG just makes me qant to quit.
  19. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Now that I am over the fact these things drop stupidly infrequent my favorite part is all the 'defenders' looking quite silly in hindsight. Almost every concern voiced has been proven true and some new ones have even came up with not a single reasonable defense for making them this rare. Its been proven to be a bad promotion, bad for getting groups going long term, bad for people being 'excited' about items since ALL the effects missed the mark through various means, just a big mess.

Excitedly anticipating these items is like 'anticipating' winning the mega millions jackpot. People tend to only anticipate things that are likely to happen, not extremely unlikely. If you anticipate something happening over a long amount of time with bated breath when its chances are 1% or lower well.....I have nothing 'polite' to say about your state.
  20. Jagerbomb New Member

Even if you are in an instance that drops an ethereal, you have a 1 in 6 chance of winning it in the lotto, and that's provided your class can even use said weapon =/