Direct X 11 issues

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Raeven, Feb 14, 2024.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Iirc, this game has always been about CPU, since SONY decided, in its infinite wisdom, that single core CPUs would just get better and better and better and better and in about 2-3 years after this -- landmark decision -- that ranked right up there with Betamax, everyone pretty much agreed (except for SONY) that GPUs and multi-cores were the only way to fly. :-/

Since SOE/DBG was a subsidiary of SONY, we had to go along with it. :-/

What I recall of EQ1, a good CPU would be all that's needed for the artwork (16-bit?), and I'm not sure they've made the game mechanics/display/etc. too much more complex over the years, but I could be wrong.

Uwk
    The Unsentimental One
  2. Arandar Well-Known Member

Broadly speaking, that's true. The game engine was designed in an era where the thinking was clockspeed alone was the thing that would determine performance, and (as far as I know) is still primarily single-threaded where the client just sits in a big loop processing input and network events without delegating much, if any, work to other threads.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

FEEDBACK: If/when we finally iron out all the kinks in this (fix the maps, etc.), would it be possible for us to get our Fog of War back as an option for our maps? Or does one of the third-party companies still do that for us?

I mean, I have a bunch of old veterans, especially on Public Test, who've already gotten quite a few tally marks racked up in the View Unexplored Locations daily loyalty bit, and it'd save time to figure out what, exactly, they haven't Explored yet. :)

Uwk