Direct X 11 issues

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Raeven, Feb 14, 2024.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Good luck, mate! We'll see ya again when we see ya! :D

Uwk
    Raeven likes this.
  2. Tkia Well-Known Member

Nope. It's still determined that I need DX11.1.
    I have the same card that is now working for Thoreandon, the latest drivers for it and the windows updates that should supply whatever DX11 is available for Win7. My system works fine with the EQ DX11 client.
    All critical updates for win7 are installed. I even did the troubleshooting on the ones hat had failed and got those in. I also tried playing with the Test DX libraries - removing them, throwing in old ones, anything to force Test to repatch them. Same with the client file - none of it made any difference to the error and I'm now out of ideas of things to even try.
    Raeven and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Can Win8.0 and 8.1 machines handle DirectX 11.0 and 12.0? If so, WHY ARE WE EVEN BOTHERING WITH THIS???

Seriously? WHY 11.1?? It's ridiculous! :mad:

If we can't have Win8.x folks on anything other than specifically 11.1, well...um...I'm sorry, but can't they upgrade, too? All the rest of us seem to need to... :-/

Uwk
    who sincerely hopes it's not just "to be different than all the rest out there! :D" nonsense... X-P
    Geroblue, Raeven and KauaiJim like this.
  4. Bunji Developer

The team is still looking into Win7 support. I'll update this thread once I know more.
    Raeven, Siren, Breanna and 3 others like this.
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Thank you! :D

Fingers crossed! :)

Uwk
    Raeven and Breanna like this.
  6. Tkia Well-Known Member

Thanks Bunji.

Just out of curiosity, is there any possibility whatsoever that any part of the new DX11 code could have mistakenly got into the new live client that was pushed last week? I ask because since then I haven't been able to get into live at all and the client just silently drops out at exactly the same point that the Test client throws up its 'needs DX11.1' error. Just coincidence I hope, but I can't help but wonder ...
  7. Bunji Developer

No, the DX11 code is isolated to Test atm. This includes patcher files.

There was a patcher issue recently though. I would suggest trying to delete your "LaunchPad.libs" folder and then rerun the patcher and see if that helps.
  8. Tkia Well-Known Member

Happy to give that a go, but my patcher seems fine and I can reproduce my issue by calling the client directly and it does not behave as it normally does in those circumstances. :(
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

DX11? Not DX11.1? :-/

There are loads of difference, apparently... :-/

Uwk
    proud owner of a DX11 computer, but...
    Raeven and Geroblue like this.
  10. Tkia Well-Known Member

That was a generic reference point not a technical detail. Stop jumping at shadows.
  11. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I never down loaded DX11.1
    I have either 11 or 12, and it works
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

No, apparently there IS a difference to the devs (hence, the need for specificity), or we wouldn't be having this conversation across several threads.

Uwk
    Raeven likes this.
  13. Tkia Well-Known Member

All of which was irrelevant to the specific query I raised.
    Raeven likes this.
  14. Arandar Well-Known Member

DX11 and DX12 are part of the core Windows operating system, there's nothing to download. Updates to it are provided through the standard Windows Update mechanism. What EQ2 currently requires is that your GPU and the drivers for that GPU support DirectX feature level 11_1. Only Windows 8.1 and later supports the driver model that is required for 11_1.

A few edge cases aside, the most common reasons that people are having issues are one or more of the following:

1. Using Windows 7. That version of Windows does not provide the required driver support, even if the GPU is capable of supporting DirectX 11.1. There is nothing you can download to fix this, your only option there is to upgrade. And people definitely should.

2. Using an older GPU which supports feature level 11_0 but not 11_1. There is nothing you can do to fix this aside from upgrading the GPU to a more recent model.

3. Using outdated drivers for a GPU that should otherwise support 11_1. Some folks who've been posting troubleshooting information here seem to have never updated their video drivers since they bought their computer. In some unfortunate cases, the system OEM or GPU vendor simply stopped releasing updated drivers for their graphics card.
  15. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

well, good for you, you are very knowledgeable, I am just a simple housewife, playing on an 8 year old Laptop, and all I know is I can now play on the " Public Test Server" again.
    The reason why I said something about downloading is the fact that I had to DOWNLOAD the upgrade in order to play Final Fantasy, or maybe that was unnecessary.
    I agree people should upgrade, if they can afford it ( hardware), sooner or later they will be left behind, even if they just barely make it this time.
  16. Arandar Well-Known Member

I didn't intend to be dismissive, just wanted anyone who comes across these posts to understand that's there's nothing they can download to currently get the Test build to work on Windows 7 or older graphics cards that don't support 11_1 features (downloading the latest graphics drivers for your GPU is always a good thing, though). That said, the devs have said they're looking on a way to still support Windows 7, so we'll have to wait and see.
    Raeven, Sturmlocke and SolarFaire like this.
  17. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

Arandar, I did not mean it that way, good job explaining everything.
    I was overjoyed when I was able to only log onto my Character selection and I was even more happy when I got into the world and it did not feel any different than before, on the old settings, and yes it looks really nice.
    I said before the programmers of Darkpaw will figure it out, but I keep my fingers crossed that it will work out for everybody.
    Raeven and Sturmlocke like this.
  18. Bunji Developer

Will be pushing some more changes tonight to support Win7.
  19. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Nice summary there, very well explained! One last ditch effort if all else fails, tested two gpus with DX11.0 feature level and so far they actually work with Linux+Proton and EQ2-DX11 on test (YMMV): https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...irect-x-11-issues.614648/page-12#post-6758895

Don't think that will be necessary now that Bunji said they're working on Win7 support though. Windows 7 will outlive everything else that came after it similar to how the Playstation 3 is still going strong and even online for the most part.

Makes me wonder if Mac and Linux will become an officially supported or recommended platform one day if numbers continue to rise. According to Steam statistics, Win7 is around 0.57% gaming usage, Mac is 1.32% and Linux is rising at around the 2% mark for the gaming distros and around 4-5% desktop (the last one is Statcounter without ChromeOS which is counted separately even though technically it's still just Linux like Android).
  20. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Win7 was, is, and always shall be, glorious. :D

Uwk
    Geroblue likes this.