Direct X 11 issues

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Raeven, Feb 14, 2024.

1. Bunji Developer

More Win7 support should be on Test now.
  2. Tkia Well-Known Member

Thanks Bunji. That has solved something as my Test installation has finally stopped screaming for DX11.1. Yay!

Unfortunately my Test install is now exhibiting exactly the same problem as all 3 of my Live installations :( Launhpad works fine and patches (as proven by download of new client to fix previous error) but when I hit 'play' to call the client I get a window opened but never populated that just silently closes again. This is 100% reproducible when calling the client binary directly which seems to exonerate the launchpad as being the problem?

I can't help but think that the new clients are looking for something in another file somewhere that has outdated information in it or something. But I'd appreciate any clues as to which file(s) that might be as nothing I have played with so far has had any effect. This all seems to stem from changes in the client pushed last live patch so what got changed in that which might account for this behaviour?
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  3. Arclite Well-Known Member

I asked this question before and may be it got overlooked or ignored so trying again.

Are we going to get native 4k UI support with dx11 update?
  4. Bunji Developer

There's no UI updates with DX11, the UI should looks the same.
  5. Arandar Well-Known Member

It would be nice if Darkpaw partnered with the guy who created DarqUI and incorporate it into the game as a standard option.
    Geroblue likes this.
  6. Evilary Well-Known Member

Not all of us like the Darqui. There are some aspects that are nice but overall it would just create a whole lot more work for the team keeping it updated along with their default.
  7. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Yeah, in terms of UI, I would like to see native 4k support one day too. I don't like using any addons at all, it's all vanilla here. Thx @Bunji for answering that good question. IIRC EQ1 already got an UI engine overhaul / upgrade some time ago, and there was some discussion about doing an entire UI upgrade to more modern standards. The UI in EQ2 is really nice visually and it offers a ton of options right out of the box, but I too would like to see it get some options to scale well with 4k displays. Just some feedback for future upgrades. +1 for the idea
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Siren like this.
  8. Elden Ring New Member

the only thing i really want to see is the game running on more than 1 cpu core
  9. Arclite Well-Known Member

Thank you for letting us know.

Kinda sad though. I am hoping that there is some plans to add this later on.

Paying for an add on just does not cut it for me and the windows scaling fix is never consistent for me as for some reason the UI defaults to small scale after each restart of the game.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Thanks so much! :D It's working again for me, finally; was able to test (heh!) it out a bit yesterday early afternoon just before heading out the door, and more extensively last night/this morning when I got back. :)

Just a few very minor quibbles, relatively: didn't really help my FPS there much at all, and the game's taking slightly more memory resources; that, and the maps one brings up of an outdoor area one is in still look very sepia-toned, with the "rays" from any compass rose superimposed in the background, like what you get when you're about to travel to another zone. :-/

The "enclosed" cities like Qeynos, Freeport, and Neriak are fine, maps still the same, but places like New Halas, Gorowyn, and Kelethin, not so much. :-/

Uwk
    just happy as a kitteh clam that I can finally get IN on my old, comfy, ergonomically-placed Win7! :)
    Siren likes this.
  11. Shunio Member

when will dx11 actually be on live server?
  12. Tkia Well-Known Member

Um, just a rough guess but when it fully works?
    Yareth and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  13. Tkia Well-Known Member

Good news finally - I can now access Test on Win 7 with a GTX750 Ti so the latest DX11 implementation now seems to work here for 11_0. :cool:. I'll run around in it later to see how it behaves but first I have to deal with all the Live event stuff on live that I've been locked out of for over a week before it all gets turned off.

For dev benefit: the problem of client dropping silently back to desktop when launched appears to be caused by something in the eq2_recent.ini file. Deleting that and letting it rebuild from default fixes the problem. Unfortunately it also loses every customised setting I have ever configured in the last 20 years which is going to take forever to sort out. :oops:

I tried adding in the 5 new settings from the rebuilt file in case it was one of those causing the issue, but no joy. I'm not keen on the thought of going through all the lines with different settings or the 64 additional setting lines I have in there one by one to try and track it down. Any clues from a coder as to what setting it's been happy with for 20 years but has taken exception to in the latest client version would be appreciated. :D

Edit: the problem setting in the eq2_recent.ini is the line:
    software_cursor_enabled true
    this needs to be deleted or set to false.
    And I'm off to /bug it now ...
  14. Dude Well-Known Member

15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Well, since I got Public Test working again on my beloved Win7 desktop, I'm happier; there are some glitches still, but hopefully not insurmountable ones ("Well, we fixed that issue you were having with the map visuals, but now you can't get back in the game ever again. Sorry! /giggle :D")...

Uwk
    kitteh fingers crossed
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Still having glitching issues with the "outdoor" maps at any point being nothing but sepia-tone and compass-rose rays splayed across, instead of their more "naturalistic" views we've had in the past (The Commonlands, for example, being a nice melange of savanna, water features, occasional areas with trees, etc., all in the expected colors in the past, and now, no matter how they're accessed, just being monotone), but still just happy to get in at all, and willing to cross my kitteh fingers that things can be normalized.

Uwk
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

To clarify: all maps have the exact same appearance as they do when you're going from Point A on one continent (by whatever means; doesn't seem to matter if it's a World Bell, Fast Travel, whatever) to Point B on another continent, rather than having an "overhead view" of the map of the region you're currently in, like a very high altitude plane or even a satellite view, with all the grass or sand or forest or hills or water features or whatever clearly delineated, each with its own color, etc.

Also: last night, trying to finish up Brewday on Public Test and start a bit of Bristlebane's Day, when I was frequently the ONLY one in a given zone, my FPS rate was bouncing around like a sugared-up Gnome toddler on a jiggle cube, from single digits (0, on occasion) back up to high double digits at least, like I've come to expect on every other server I'm on. If this is what DirectX 11.0 (PLEASE say it's 11.0, o devs... >:-/) does to my computer, perhaps cumulatively, I'll have to limit my play time and cash expenditures for it...at least until I can get Linux in one of its flavors on my machine.

Uwk
  18. Krizani Active Member

I posted this in Players Supporting Players and I'm not getting any responses - I thought I'd stick it here because this has been such an active thread with lots of you wonderful tech-y folks checking in.

Anyway, I'm looking at several options for a ready-made computer since mine went pretty obsolete a while back (up till now we've always built our own, but this looks easier at this point) and the trade-off seems to be a slightly better CPU and worse graphics card in one and a slightly worse CPU and significantly better graphics card in the other. Oh, and both have Win 11 installed.

Opinions? Both CPUs come in above minimum but certainly not to recommended (and a big thanks to the person who linked to the UserBenchmark site, it's very handy :))
    Siren and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  19. Arandar Well-Known Member

That's tough to answer, specific information about both the CPUs and GPUs would be useful. In general, as long as you have reasonable settings, the game isn't too demanding on either. Now, if you're wanting to crank everything up to extreme / maximum settings your choice of hardware will have more of an impact.
  20. Krizani Active Member

I remember reading quite a while back that with this game engine the CPU was the most important, followed, of course, by GPU. I don't know if that's changed or not with various upgrades to the engine over the years. I do like to run with max textures and character textures which is working okay right now with my creaky old comp, but all that is about to change ;)