Did You Know? Arena Champions

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, and New Player Questions' started by ARCHIVED-Blackguard, Feb 9, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-RedRockCandy! Guest

It did 9 years ago, why do you ask?
  2. ARCHIVED-Daelomdel Guest

I like titles.

And I could care less if other people see them or not....

Personal acomplishment 4TW!

This game isn't all about getting recongnition from other people.....
  3. ARCHIVED-retro_guy Guest

I don't do it for the titles, it's the pets and house items I'm after.

And BTW I have titles turned on too.
  4. ARCHIVED-Rocks Guest

I have a request. Could we please receive our champions as a form of "ability" we get or something once we buy/earn them so we don't have to fill up so much space in our inventories? You could even keep the statues they way they are so we can put them in our houses but carrying them around takes up too much space.
  5. ARCHIVED-fornarina Guest

Blackguard,

Did you know I worked very hard to set up an Arena Tournament (the infamous ..::CLASH OF THE GUILDS::.. (link) ) on our Lucan D'Lere server and got lots of interest?
    Did you know it's a Guild Battle competition and matches averaged 17 - 20 spectators each?

Did you know lots people would love to love the arena but can't cause it's seriously flawed and without any point if no one, like I did, take his/her time to set up an event?
    Did you know I tried to attract devs and mods attention on my Torunament as it could have been a huge arena boostin, but not received a single signal of life on Mars?

Did you know it could have been a great "Treasure Chest" story? (I am "humble", it's only that hurts to see these "Did you know..." about arena titles and completely overlook arena true potential... :( ).

Did you know it took me 20 days to gather the teams cause everyone on my server thought "naah, arena stinks" and now I got requests for another torunament, for differtent classes and levels tournaments and people bombards me wit /tells to have an invite to wathc the matches?

Did you know it would really take little love to make the arena a better place and a winning feature of EQ2 and FOR the EQ2 community?

Did you know I tried to just have my event post stickied in the Server Forum and didn't even got an answer? :(

I know, I sound whiny and yes it's wrong: "if only all those who ask for Dev's attention should get it...."

But darn... arena has been overlooked and ignored since launch because of its poor implementation and lack of any purpose.
    Now you are trying to "revive" it with these posts that let people know about rewards...

ugh! you know what's happening now?

Arena are crammed of people playing against a friend in passworded arenas or just soloing CTF with the fastest pet JUST to farm the titles!!!

Is this what you really want for arena?

That's what happening now. Arena full of 1 person matches, all in there farming wins over wins, or exchanging kills just to farm the 1000 wins title or the 10000 kills title. Bleh, sorry :(

And why bleh?

Cause it would have took 2 seconds to just answer one of m private message or put a little spotlight on our event or just , seriously JUST sticking my post in the LDL server board.

I am not doing this for money (I am losing in-game money in this) or glory, as I am such a shy person.

I was so happy in september for the arena coming out, and so disappointed when I got the meaning of it all... so poor :(

So I tried my best to bring the interest in the arena and I am halfway there as in my server now it got attention again and most are understanding that it's not about PvP, but just having fun together in a different kind of environment.

So please, please, instead of postring a long list of "easy farmable titles" with the only results of fostering "solo arenas", please give some loving to those that can help you bringing people in the arena and spread the word about its goodness!

Please, just take a look by yourself.

Guild Teams:
    http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=109&message.id=35809

Announcement Topic:
    http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=109&message.id=34495

Last Match Report:
    http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=109&message.id=36241

The STANDS (Spectators pool):

[IMG]

Guild vs Guild Action!

[IMG]

Sigh.Please, no list of rewards, just give us LIVE RANKINGS (as in: LADDER) and please give those who try to help you a little hand :smileyindifferent:
    (Sorry for poor spelling and grammar. English is not my first language :( )

Ruri Ruri
    of Lucan D'Lere, Arena Mistress for the Court of Truth
    Message Edited by fornarina on 02-14-200612:19 PM
  6. ARCHIVED-Droka Guest

Fornarina:
    I really wish I was on your server just for this. No one uses the arena on Najena. I love the pvp style arena events.
  7. ARCHIVED-evhallion Guest

I would actually like to see a "solo" mode for the arena as well. Something like the Splitpaw arena.
  8. ARCHIVED-Kegofbud Guest

I would like to be able to check how many wins and kills I have - somewhere just outside of the arena. It's nice and all to have rewards, but for a game that tells you what your reward for a quest will be before you do it, why not be able to see your current arena stats from just outside?
  9. ARCHIVED-Will. Guest

Dude, seriously, you might as well just shut them down. The arenas are a waste of bandwidth. The rewards are meaningless outside the arena so why waste time acquiring them? An arena title just means you like to spend your time mindlessly exploiting CTF or trading kills with a bud. Grats on being lame. Furniture? /yawn. New and improved arena champions? Um, you have to actually go to the arena to use them.

The bottom line is this: The arena offers people nothing of any real value.

So, assuming you don't want to throw in the towel here are some suggestions:
    1. Implement something similar to the PvP rules to give people xp and loot for arena matches.
    2. Make the rewards useful outside the arena, i.e. gear. (Gladiator's Net, Trident of Victory, whatever)
    3. Allow people to register teams just like they would register a guild.
    4. (Can teams bet each other on matches a la /duelbet? If not that's #4.)
    5. Implement ladders for teams and individuals.
    Other uses for the arena:
    1. Give Sumixum a quest series, maybe as simple as a series of arena matches vs. NPCs.
    2. Add an instance with a ring event (a wave of lions, a wave of gladiators, the arena champion, oh my!).
    All in all, the arena--as is--is a lot of wasted effort. You can either change it or trash it. Your choice.

-Will
  10. ARCHIVED-Priestbane Guest

Rocks: Your arena pets work for you when in your house, in your bank, or on your person.
  11. ARCHIVED-WarSheol Guest

I used to have a lot of fun in the Arena while it was in Beta it was a blast.

But since Beta of DoF I have not seen many Champions on the live server including my favorite the Moppet Master.

I play on Antonia Bayle server and can never find any matches at all now.

it would be nice if the Arena's where made more desirable overall and have some one in them to actualy fight against.

Just my thoughts and opinions, feel free to disagree.
  12. ARCHIVED-Finora Guest

/chuckle
    Redrock, why do you always make these posts? You have no way of knowing what 'everyone' else is doing. Only what you yourself and what friends you might have do. Don't make sweeping generallizations, it just makes you look silly.
    And even if some don't have all the name stuff on, what does it matter? The people who actually care about titles have them on and will see any you earn and choose to wear. If they have them turned off, they obviously didn't really care about them in the first place. /shrug
    Anyway, from what I hear the arena is fun, not my thing. But maybe I'll make my husband come fight me one time to see just how badly a berserker will beat a mystic. =)
  13. ARCHIVED-trovan2 Guest

I love arenas, but sadly i can't find anyone on my server (Oasis) to play with me. (Feel free to contact me though lol)
    Personally, Saying "the arena is a waste of time and effort" is from a negative person that does not understand other peoples opinions. I THINK ARENA IS FUN and yet others do not, all opinion. (sorry to get off topic, but I spend my EQ2 time gathering fluff items because they can't be nerfed and their fun!)
    Also, I would love to see some new things for the arena (HINT HINT SONY!!).
    And as the titles go, I continually get compliments on my arena titles (and mine are ON!).
  14. ARCHIVED-CodeRed Guest

Personally, I think this is one of the great features in EQ2 that DoF brought in...

It'd be a pity for SoE to just forget about it's implementation in the game. I'll give the SoE Game Designer Developer that got stuck with creating the Arena a huge kudos since this is on of the best features (as said above) in EverQuest 2 (TM) at the present moment in my humble opinion.

In fact, I've just reactivated my account (went dorment around ~september time due to a lack of interest in the game[never got into DoF features due to real life conflicts coming up, though I did preorder it and got it on first day shipping!])... And from exploring DoF you can tell that my favorite feature so far is the Arena! Then again I haven't truly experienced everything and I tend to waste all my in the Arena trying to master various tactics.

The arena is an awsome place to just relax and have a few "friendly" matches with various people on the server. The sad part about that is I have to literally beg people [I currently reside on Mistmoore though I'm thinking about moving to a server that contains more constant Area fights] to just join me in a quick CTF or DeathMatch Bezerk style with 1 flag or ~10 kills (they won't go into long matches :sad:) and normally I can only sell them on the champion part, though real toon fighting is also very fun!

As well as being fun for just having "friendly" matches, the arena also offers adventures to better themselves by collecting various add-on champions that are unavailable via purchase and require quests to be completed to access them. This is a great, yet annoying, catch that was added to the arena. What would be truly cool is if you could study or capture any animal ingame and use it as an Arena champion. (I know I'm going out on the hook here with a pokemon styled proposal... But, hell It'd be cool to not have any restrictions on champions!)

If SoE is will to make the Arena worth fighting in, please consider adding these or a variant of these suggestions to allow the Arena to become successful:
    More useful prizes [gear,special housing?,etc..]
    Experience gains (using mains)
    Champions leveling [all currently stuck at 20]
    Ladder-styled statistics [Use this as a station players feature?]
    More competition options [Possibly to attract a gaming ladder website?]
    Lasty, a SERVER LINKED ARENA for guilds, countries etc.. To prove that they are infact the **best** guild in the game!

I can understand the hesitation for implementing these features, since I'm sure you'll have located your resources on a project else where to ease the Kingdom of Sky release. But, please I beg of you do not let the Arena feature disappear into the night's sky with players believing it is worthless. You owe it to your player base, as well as the developer who developed the arena to figure out a way to increase the traffic in the Arena. If you are looking for a quick way to do that, it'd have to be to support PLAYER COMPETITIONS / TOURNAMENTS with stickies or official responses or just a webpage like Star Wars: Galaxies (TM) player events have. (In fact, you could use the last suggestion for all player hosted events!)
  15. ARCHIVED-Red_Rock_Candy Guest

The problem with the Arena is that it does not progress your character. Many people that play MMORPGs are only going to want to do things that advance their toons. Even at 60 you have the type that wants to do nothing but farm. Next time you ask somebody to join you in the Arena and they refuse, ask them why. I can promise you they are doing something else at that time, either leveling, questing, raiding for gear, farming, or tradeskilling. "Time waster within a time waster" features are often going to be overlooked because of the nature of most MMORPG players, they dont want to just do things for the fun of it. However if SOE set up tournys with large sums of plat or fabled and even mythical items then you can be sure more people will play in the Arena.
  16. ARCHIVED-Syndic Guest

How do you know that most people turn it off? Every screenshot that I have viewed has had titles on. Personally I thought that titles were a little long so when going through the options was glad to see the vertical option which lists titles above and below the name, therefore taking up alot less space. My friends still keep the horizontal titles, not sure how they survive though.

Personally I think the vertical option should be the default but as long as mine are setup this way it will stay on.
  17. ARCHIVED-KerowynnKaotic Guest

• Experience gains - Don't hold your breath - would be farmed.
    • Champions leveling - I could have swore they were going to do this but found it to be "un-fair" to lowbies or something ..
    • Ladder-styled statistics - *nods* They seriously do need a way to keep track of the wins/losses.
    • SERVER LINKED ARENA - I do wonder how hard this would be to put into place. ....
      • Maybe even if it was a linked arena where you could only use Champions; there would have to be some locks on being able to trade items and such. Can't go moving items off of the "home" server and all that .. But, this would be a very big step into making the arena function as a whole instead of the mostly wasted space it is currently. Main point of the game for most people is to show how uber they are. Could even turn it into a plat sink. Charge a flat rate to be a contestant as well as a small fee to view. ... Could even add some spice in for the spectators in allowing them to "bet" on the outcome but instead of winning coin, they could be given a token to change in for "fan items" .. ya know those silly things you can buy at the statiums .. Collectable Team Items and such .. Simple "Red" or "Blue" "Team" Hats / Banners / Cups / etc ..
  18. ARCHIVED-Red_Rock_Candy Guest

Most screens I see have titles turned off, I guess it might be just me and selected memory. Personally, like I said, I keep titles turned on. Most hard core raiders keep them off, and I can see why, when you got 24 people fighting together all you see are four part names on your screen.

Something that bugs me. In other threads I have people spouting off about how they don't care about my character, I get people telling me that only how their character looks is important, now I have YOU guys telling me that other peoples accomplishments mean something to you, that you want to see them. Hahaha oh man... so what is it for real, why is it I'm fighting with jerk offs in another thread that don't care about anyone else but themselves then in this thread I've got you guys that actually give a flying fart about other people and what they do, don't get me wrong I think its great you are like this. I just want to know why I'm the bad guy in both fights, can you please ****ing tell me? Is the EQII community split down the middle and I sit somewhere in the center?

EDIT: I edited this to keep you guessing about what I really said.
    Message Edited by Red_Rock_Candy on 02-15-200602:02 PM
  19. ARCHIVED-trovan2 Guest

The reason that a lot of screen shots show no titles is because the person probably presses "F10" twice so that all the windows and text is not in the way .... just a suggestion ...

I like titles!
  20. ARCHIVED-Red_Rock_Candy Guest

I'm talking about guild raid pictures where only names are seen, no titles.