DDoS Again? AB Lagging/Down

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Miscai, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

Rifuul likes this.
  2. Meneltel Well-Known Member

What is sad is there seems to be nothing they can do but wait it out. All they seem to do is look into it, not solve it. If this is doable by many computers, cant they do it back at them? What do I know about computers, I just play them.
  3. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

and see?
    THIS. is what happens when the crying infant is given EVERYTHING it whines about (which of course is everything it sees)
    It grows into adulthood thinking it can whine/tantrum to gets its way,...
    rinse/repeat over several generations, and so many lack the assertiveness to stand up for principles,...
  4. suka Well-Known Member

5. Nemnoch Member

SOE was a pile of ****, they went bankrupt because they ran their games into the ground EQNext was going to be a cahs grab to pull them out, and they even ****** that up, by not working on it... like at all. Daybreak inherited a ******* burning ship, and they're doing their best to make it hold water.
    Meneltel likes this.
  6. Kham Active Member

The problem is daybreak is to cheap to buy the software and hardware to prevent this from happening, let alone pay for someone on the staff who is good enough and has the toolsd / capability of tracking them down. once the ddos is in its pretty much crippling with not alot that can be done to cut it off.

that being said, when a guy gives you 24 hour notice that this is going to happen again, and you sit idle, well, this is what you get. i hope they plan on compensating the players with this with maybe a 1 day extension on the double eth coins and possibly a double status weekend.
    Tierisch likes this.
  7. Francoise Member

On Twitter: Daybreak Games @DaybreakGames 6m6 minutes ago
    We are looking into an issue impacting logins and servers across our games. Thank you for your patience.
  8. Moonlit_Evening Well-Known Member

HoF has really bad lagging as well, they perhaps need to look into the issue in order to figure out how to combat the DDoS attack. I speak from an IT pov, though have yet to properly learn about network Security, really though, the DDoS is a dick move.
  9. Soober New Member

can we unlock shotguns for eq2 as well?
    Edelphia and Rifuul like this.
  10. Ursa Minor Well-Known Member

Feel free to offer your services at a price you deem fair, if you think you can engineer an effective defense against a syn attack.

This game is not like a web page, where static content can be widely distributed and cached, so it can be served up from multiple independent servers. It relies on a connection to a persistent software image, so that players can interact with each other and the environment. That by design means a single point of attack, which has to be accessible from the internet.

There's no way the game can have multiple, distributed instances of a zone that are kept in synch, so a player's connection can be routed from one to another in case access is disrupted at one node. At least, it can't be done on the money that DBG has available; we aren't paying them that much. It's not quick to change between instances when a zone has spawned multiple instances, and it's darn sure that the mob you just killed in layer one is not going to be there in layer two when you switch over.
    Nixer, Ishuna, Vladislav and 2 others like this.
  11. suka Well-Known Member

kk we will just wait. they have to sleep sometimes- now if i had a little mouse with lethal poison in it's nails and could just go over the wires to him, problem solved

of course the mouse would have to start by chewing every wire in every computer in his house
  12. suka Well-Known Member

this is a DDOS attack- not a hack. there is a big difference. with a DDOS attack, a bunch of computers are trying to access the servers at the same time. your accounts are safe
    Nixer likes this.
  13. Lojaak Well-Known Member

Suka, I read it as more of a metaphor, I don't think he literally meant a crying baby.
  14. Ursa Minor Well-Known Member

It's not a hack. The perp has no access to data. A denial of service attack is defined as blocking access so no one can get in. The perp is not trying to get in, just obstruct the door.
    Nixer, Ishuna, Feldon and 4 others like this.
  15. Nemnoch Member

That's not how this works. A DDOS attack isn't a "hack" grow a ******* brain or google it. Jesus Christ
    Nixer, Feldon, suka and 1 other person like this.
  16. suka Well-Known Member

i don't recall sony doing much better. and i think the devs do an awesome job in the face of all of this.
    Prissetta and Moonlit_Evening like this.
  17. Rifuul Anashti's Goon Squad

Miraculously, it seems a few folks have not been booted somehow...
    [IMG]
  18. Shadowyn New Member

Everyone has a free moment - I think googling to try and understand what is happening and why might be a great use of time. Here is a good place to start. I particularly like the final paragraph.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/04/20/why-lizard-squad-and-others-target-game-servers-with-ddos-attacks/

19. Moonlit_Evening Well-Known Member

I agree with Suka.
    suka and Prissetta like this.
  20. Nemnoch Member

Maybe not awesome, but better than SOE. Daybreak has been desperately trying to make these games profitable. They also need to update all this ancient hardware though at some point.