Celebrate Ten Years of EverQuest II at the Heroes’ Festival!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Afista_DG, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Nah, I eventually got credit, currency, etc. (and I hope the others did, too!), but it took at least half an hour, if not longer, of button-pressing (until I wised up and pretty much just let Auto-Attack have its way with the beast; didn't even need to be there in person behind the keyboard, probably; it was recommended in chat that I go off and "do laundry" or whatever...literally) to actually accomplish this against an opponent that was 52 levels and 85 levels, respectively, below us. I should've been able to sneeze on the thing all by myself, defeat it, then go on to the progressively tougher combats, enjoying the increasing "danger" involved and feeling more heroic with each progressively more difficult task to accomplish/enemy to be vanquished/etc. Instead, the main impression I got was immense amounts of frustration for an achievement and a handful of something that can't be used for anything else (I love the Tinkerfest cogs! You can spend them and/or make stuff with them [which entails painful choices, sometimes ;->]!). Meh. Not fun. :-/

Uwk
  2. Mozil Active Member

I missed that you were soloing it. No, soloing them is completely against the spirit of the event and making them quick solo-able fights would just allow a few raid-geared level 95s to swoop in and constantly ruin a fun, light-hearted community event for everyone else.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Might get faster repops up then (concept!), or they could stick with their own level 95 thing. And anyone should be able to actually do something against anything (having it respond to the number of folks involved in wailing on it would be part of that, as was suggested); if I'm dumb enough to go solo up against a level 70 Epic thing that requires a raid group to tackle and it sneezes on me and I die, that's my problem. It should be able to deal with any play style. ;->

The problem is, it may have been reacting to the fact that we were way "too high-level" for it, but I doubt that going up against the level 10 thing with, say, a level 15 would produce any other results (wailing on it for a half an hour even with other people helping). So, no, I'm not going to bother trying this again, because it's a waste of time for me.

Uwk
  4. Mozil Active Member

They don't deal any damage.

The system is scaled to all levels aside from the accuracy bug, your level is irrelevant.

If you were there with a bunch of people and it still took you half an hour then, first of all, that's the third or fourth time you've changed the scenario we're discussing and I'm starting to get dizzy, and second of all I have no idea what on earth y'all were doing out there because on Permafrost I've never seen one of any level last more than maybe five-ten minutes. Fifteen if there aren't many people helping or half of them are afk-autoattacking.

But at this point it's starting to seem like you're only responding so you can continue to repeat yourself about how not fun it is and you're not doing it anymore, which is not a conversation that interests me.
    Malfaer and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  5. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

The only time I had a death while fighting the puppets was well...My raid friend had to tell me what was killing me cuz I kept running back and going splat. There is a bracelet that actually damages other people in an area of effect (Aspect of Dragon - very funny if you think about that). So one of the puppet dragons didn't kill but the dang bracelet.
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Initially, it was just me with my level 62 Fury, trying to cast spells at it and doing absolutely nothing to it but weapon damage. Eventually, probably 15+ minutes into it, someone took pity on me (Kuulel, again my apologies for mangling the spelling!) and came in with her level 95 toon (she may have been a Fury as well, I was too busy looking at the numbers to even glance her way) and her level 95 Merc, who was throwing many combos at its head, and presumably other body parts. It still took us a good 15 minutes or so, or so it seemed, to finally bring the stupid thing down. Hence, not fun for me, hence, I won't participate in it further, and hence, y'all can go on and do so without me. Just sayin'. ;->

Uwk
  7. Merriel Well-Known Member

Yep, I had a few characters taking damage, but the worst was when I took a lvl 6 character to do Baelon. I used my summon recruit bauble on my main account to summon her there. The level 6 character took a hit from someone's bracelent and went down instantly. Unfortunately the revive spot in the Fear Creep is not completely mob free and she was instantly killed twice more the instant she revived. I had to take my character on my main account to the revive spot, clear the area, then revive the lvl 6 character, then took my main account character back to Baelon and burn another use from my summon bauble just to bring her back to him. Repeated this twice, before whomever was using the bracelet removed it or whatever, and she was able to finish out the fight. :D

Uwk, I solo'd Darathar on my level 95 brigand the first day of this event, and yes, the fight took much longer than I would have expected, as they buffed the HP on these mobs. While I understand that they buffed the HP on them to make the fights last long enough so others can participate without having the selfish idiots that like to spawn camp mobs to keep others from being able to enjoy them...I also realize it is an issue later on during the event, when they hype has died down and you don't have nearly as many people going after these very same mobs.

Was doing Baelon on one character with a few others and the fight took so long he reset before we could take him down.
  8. Merriel Well-Known Member

Ok, noticed some other things mentioned in earlier posts here, and there are a few things I took notice of.

The little icon that showed the numbers building up...I noticed with my mages and my fury, if I did not have my ranged auto attack on, those numbers did not go up at all, and in fact, the buff would disappear. It leaves me to suspect that spells don't matter against these beasts...all that matters is the auto attack function. Even with my melee characters, I noticed that the numbers increased with just the autoattack function on, and surprisingly seemed to increase more rapidly when I was not casting, than when I was casting. Unfortunately, I did not realize this through several characters, so I do not know if those who didn't get credit...if it was due to having their auto-attack on or not. This is something that should be tested, though.

The other thing I found very odd, is that when I went up against these beasts with my conjuror, her power bar dropped quite rapidly and she had to use all three shard of essence in each fight to continue being able to cast...where with my necromancer and my fury, I cast continuously and it seemed they did not use any power up at all, as the bar stayed blue throughout the entire fights. I noticed, with my fury, the only numbers I saw fly up were green, no red numbers to indicate damage being done except maybe an occasional 5k about (of which I presume is when her wand would hit via auto-attack). I hadn't paid attention to the numbers for my conjuror or necro so am not sure if the same can be said for them.
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah! Usually, I don't bother looking at the Combat Channel stuff (I have it on a separate tab), since I presume I'm going to be doing some damage; I usually just pay attention to the critter's health bar (and mine!) and only really panic if my power bar is plummeting and I don't seem to be doing as much damage to the critter as it's doing to me. As long as it's on par... ;->

It almost seems as if these puppet things are designed for auto-attackers and that's it; anyone relying on spells (even a "raid" [6 folks], if it's nothing but spell-casters 'cause that's all you can find at the time...) is gonna be SOL against them. Good thing they don't damage right back, but still. :-/

Uwk
  10. Spindle Well-Known Member

We've had a total blast the past two days fighting these puppets! Such a flashback to EQ with "puppet check" hitting the chat channel and all the locations responding with caravan status reports. All levels of players with all levels of gear cuz, ya know, it's just a fun event for all players.

Having been side-tracked by RL all week it was just a joy to log on yesterday am and start running the Festival. The whole experience has made us appreciate the EQ2 community, devs and players, so much more than usual ))

Thanks to all!
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Merriel like this.