Broker Item Delisting

Discussion in 'General Feedback' started by Sigrdrifa, Jan 7, 2023.

1. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Since the Bug thread for the broker delisting problem was closed, here's a recap and some additional feedback.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

(1) Being forced to re-list items for sale on the broker is physically painful for those of us who have carpal tunnel or other tendonitis injuries. It would be much better if, instead of delisting items that have not had their prices changed for X days, look at when that toon last logged in and after X days of not being logged in, simply stop showing their stuff -- any stuff -- on the broker at all. Then once they log in again, show their stuff again automatically, without forcing us to manually re-list each and every item.

(2) There has, to my knowledge, been no explanation of why this change was made, nor what problem it purports to fix. Please, devs, explain the rationale here.

(3) As far as I can tell from my own toons, the only boxes affected are the big 100-slot no-tax broker boxes that I got for ponying up real cash for Packs. It's NOT the pricing of items in the boxes,stuff listed for 100p has been delisted as often as stuff that's priced in the millions of plat.

(4) Are people who paid US$ for those big boxes being penalized? If so, why? Why is the change not across the board in every broker box? Because if you're gonna penalize my bought boxes, I kinda want a refund. Yes, I know there are no refunds, but this is Just Not Right.
  2. Athenia Well-Known Member

Yeah not really a fan of this for all the reasons listed above, plus now players have to put more time into managing the broker and less time actually playing the game. Our time is limited enough as-is and we should let our focus be into again, actually playing/adventuring.
  3. Zhevally Well-Known Member

The change was made for performance reasons per this thread: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/broker-de-listing-feature.608402/

That said I think 7 days is too short a timer, if it has to be a timer on the item it should be 28 days/4 weeks. I have a lot of stuff that takes more than a week to sell. However pretty much everything that hasn't sold in a month won't sell ever unless I change the price

Secondly, with this feature going in, I would love to see a button to relist every item in a box rather than needing to click each individual item manually.
  4. Louly Well-Known Member

Well that explains why my characters broker prices set to zero.

Doesn't seem a very efficient solution to performance?

I'll be spending all my time cycling through characters to check if they have delisted. :(
  5. girney Active Member

not true. i have had items that have been up for a long time and then someone who needs that shiny buys it. this is a ridiculous "fix" to a nonexistent problem
  6. Geroblue Well-Known Member

My opinion, sounds like someone was bored and came up with this fix to a problem that doesn't exist.
  7. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

These "People" need to listen to the PEOPLE who actually PLAY the game! Just put it back already and forget this fake fix to a fake problem.
  8. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Fantasy game, fantasy problem, fantasy fix?
  9. Tkia Well-Known Member

I'm prepared to believe Caith's statement that it causes performance issues. But looking at that my first question would be why on earth are they pushing broker data to every zone every few seconds? The broker can't even be accessed from most zones, can it? No wonder there's be performance issues! I would have thought the real solution here would be to change the algorithms to not push data around needlessly? How about not pushing it at all until it's requested and caching clientside until a refresh request? Wouldn't that reduce server load? Yes, you'd have to wait longer when you did ask but I'd rather that then the current new maintenance chore of constant clicking to re-list every time you log in.

Sig, it's not just your ptw boxes. I'm getting it in standard armour and salesman crates, so it is across the board. And as it stands it's going to make the broker pretty useless to a lot of people. I list on the broker intermittently when I need to clear space in boxes. List it and forget it. If it sells fine, if not I have better things to do than juggle prices every 5 minutes and I refuse to be pushed into yet another tedious maintenance chore. If this continues I'll simply go back to vendoring everything. This means the old junk that I periodically throw out will never appear for people to grab to fill holes in old collections etc.. Since I doubt I'll be the only one to take this view that could be a lot of stuff getting trashed instead of being passed around. And searching for stuff will get harder as you'll need good timing to look during the limited timeframe stuff is actually there before delisting on players that don't 'play the broker' and constantly monitor their boxes.
  10. Ixian Active Member

All Access has a "use broker anywhere" feature.
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  11. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

And if that has proved to be a problem, just cut off the "use broker from anywhere" feature.
  12. Tkia Well-Known Member

Really? Time to turn it off then.
  13. Dockter Well-Known Member

I agree, this was a terrible system and should have never been put in game.
  14. Benj Well-Known Member

I find the "broker anywhere" feature convenient. I do not find it game breaking (for those who don't have it) or required (for those who do have it). If it disappeared, some of my custom UI settings will change, and I'll click the wrong things by force of habit, but I'll get back to using a "normal" broker quickly enough.
  15. Dockter Well-Known Member

Getting back to the base discussion on this; as I read it, this only affects newly listed stuff and does nothing to remove the ancient stuff that is beyond 50m.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Geroblue like this.
  16. Noknok Member

I can't believe this is added without adding a "relist all" button! Or just connect it to the last login of a character.
    Do they wan't us all to quit the game? I'm not gonna relist a few thousand item stacks every 10 days.
    This will also make people stop list the more rare items as they don't sell as fast. I love to collect those. This will ruin my game.
    I can't believe how many features already got added to this game that force you to login daily in all chars. It's become really alt unfriendly. This might be the last straw for me after a comeback. This game has changed so much for the worse.
  17. Dude Well-Known Member

That's the part I don't understand. Ok, so let's say delisting items after 10 days will help performance. Wouldn't it make sense to delist everything? I mean there's junk in there from years ago. Certainly anything over the purchase cap can't even be bought, so it serves no purpose at all. I don't get it.
  18. Bentenn Well-Known Member

Problem is that its's included in the subscription, that being the broker anywhere function. It didn't used to be and I think it would make a lot of people mad if they were to remove it. I for one have bolt plenty of arrows or bolts mid zone lol.
  19. Bentenn Well-Known Member

The server maintaining a list of items which are pushed to every zone entity every few seconds increases both world and zone server overhead and thus impacts performance.

This being from caith as I'm sure all has seen, but i ask him, what about all of those of us that will just relist everything lol, every 5 days or 7 days, whatever we decide to use an hr of our time for. Will that help your performance. Quit bandaid fixing things and creating more of an issue. I said above it would suck to remove the broker feature every where function, but if it would legit fix the "lag" you say it creates then do it lol. Why would you put in this just annoying feature?? It makes no sense, really at all.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  20. Lemilla Active Member

The broker information being pushed to entities every few seconds might not only be for the broker anywhere functionality. Other things using it likely include:
    • The message in your chat window when something sells
    • Looting also looking for Lore items on your broker to see if you can loot it
    • Smart-loot also looking for items on your broker to see if it should reward it
    • Various scripty things looking for items everywhere in your inventory, including bank and broker, to do stuff. Only example I know which really does this are the 3 gates in Chardock, but the system is there in every zone to use.
    None of these sound like optimized programming to me, but it's probably a result of how the code has grown over the years.
    However, I fully agree that this current delisting implementation is not player friendly and generally a very bad idea. If you want to reduce the amount of information on the broker, delist all the old items (over at least 3 months, and including all those listed before the RoR expac went live), not the newly posted items.