Brewday Festival 2013 - Feedback and bugs

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Kaitheel, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Kaitheel Developer

Grab a stein and celebrate Brewday! The shouts of rowdy patrons located near every player city will lead you to The Bar of Brell where new and classic adventures await those thirsty and foolhardy enough to enter. Meanwhile, Otengard Brauer has set up a Beer Garden in the Butcherblock Mountains in celebration of Brewday, but the ale seems to have attracted some goblins. Help him while competing against others in an effort to rid the area of the most goblins. And as you're crawling through the bars and drinking holes throughout Norrath, be sure to keep your eyes peeled for special items of interest to collect!

New features for '13!
    • New Quest - "Rummage for Answers" - Including new Runnyeye event dungeon.
    • New holiday achievements
      • The Great Brewday Pub Crawl
      • Festive Furniture
      • Pub N' Suds
      • Drunk Level: Dwarf
      • Can't Hold Their Liquor
    • New Tradeskill recipe book, "Brewday Accoutrements to Craft IV" sold by Balin Copperfoot in the Bar of Brell. The recipes require holiday harvestables gathered from "Bountiful Brewday gardens" and other low level harvestables as components.
    Returning features:
    • In-game mail to announce the event and summarize location of quest givers.
    • The entrance to the Bar of Brell can be found in Antonica, Commonlands, Haven, Greater Faydark, Timorous Deep and Frostfang Sea.
    • Brews Across Norrath holiday collection found at different bars and drinking holes throughout Norrath.
    • Bountiful Brewday gardens can only be seen when wearing the "Ale Goggles" head equipment. They spawn in Commonlands, Antonica, Greater Faydark, Darklight Wood, Timorous Deep, and Frostfang Sea.
    • Tradeskill recipe books sold by Balin Copperfoot in the Bar of Brell.
      • Brewday High-tech Distilleries
      • Brewday Accoutrements to Craft
      • Brewday Accoutrements to Craft II
      • Brewday Accoutrements to Craft III
    • "Valla Brewhammer's Special Brew" - NOT repeatable
    • "Snoogle's Presentation" - Repeatable, once per year
      • Added “Petamorph Wand: Talking Cabbage” reward choice.
    • "Beers for Brell!" - Repeatable, once per year
      • Added "Petamorph Wand: Frothbark Kobold" reward choice.
    • "Brell's Everlasting Brew" - Repeatable, once per year
      • Jimmy no longer gets drunk at the same rate for every person who visits him, requiring that you pay attention to his responses now.
      • Added "Stonebrunt Brell Totem" reward choice.
    • "Ale Goggles" - Repeatable, once per year
      • Added "Petamorph Wand: Runnyeye goblin" reward choice.
    • “Thurgadin Ice Brew” - Repeatable, once per year
      • Added "Hammer's Wrath Boarcrest Helm" reward choice.
    • “Black Swill for Blackswell” - NOT repeatable
    • “Deep Within Hammerhall” - Repeatable, once per year
      • Added "Mini-Hammerstein" reward choice.
    • Brewday Beer Guardin’: Butcherblock - Repeatable
      • Updated contest score board to show the top 10 scoring characters, and their top score. It will no longer list the same person more than once on the board.
      • Added "Fireworks: Brewday Stein Explosion" new reward choice to Enormous Prize reward choices.
    This event content is currently set to run 03/7/2013 at 12:01 AM PAC time until 03/18/2013 at 11:59 PM PAC time on the live servers.

Please post any feedback and bugs that you encounter with this event in this thread.
    Thank you!

~Kaitheel
  2. Kaitheel Developer

Couple specific things to note:

Brell's Everlasting Brew
    Jimmy no longer gets drunk at the same rate for every person who tries to loosen his lips with alcohol. The years of imbibing have made him less predictable. As you give him drinks, pay attention to his responses for clues as to what to give him next.

Live event achievements
    They are not tied to an event's activation. (As many players have noticed on Live!) This means that when the servers are updated the live event achievements will be listed. It does not matter if the event is active on that server or not.

"Brewday Beer Guardin’: Butcherblock" contest
    The contest score board has been updated. (Just like it was for Erollisi Day.) It should show the top 10 scoring characters, and their top score. It should no longer list the same person more than once. So, if you were already on the score board with 99 points, but you just got 100 points, your score of 100 now replaces your score of 99 and it places you above the players with less points.

~Kaitheel
  3. Bayfia Member

This year's festival sounds pretty awesome. Looking forward to trying everything! And of course, will report anything amiss. :)
  4. Absyntheea Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see! Hope there's new buyables on the in-game merchant.. maybe a flying mount! (Too many petamorph wands IMO though. )
  5. Whilhelmina Well-Known Member

Yuck. I don't like it at all. I asked the barman for tips and all, but the responses are just not helpful at all.
    In the end I just ended up giving drinks at random and throwing in a coffee if he started to become nasty.

Tradeskills:
    All seems fine.
    I like those simple stone items. We lacked plain un-chipped stone tables and the chair/bench with them.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  6. ValleyKing New Member

Wasn't it the new reward for the last year?
    Absyntheea likes this.
  7. Absyntheea Well-Known Member

I have to agree here..

And.. as far as the petamorph wands go.. charged items?? I really am not a fan of charged items as a reward, especially on a quest that is only repeatable once a year. It would have been nice to see more new rewards with substance, instead of charged items.
    Emms and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  8. Absyntheea Well-Known Member

See.. that's what my boyfriend was saying.. I guess he was right. Either that, or it was for sale on the marketplace last year.. not sure. (Still say BOO! to charged items.)
  9. redwoodtreesprite Well-Known Member

Thing is, pets and such can be unpredictable when changing zones and can die a lot too. Plus charmed ones don't last long as well, so the charged wands are useless for them. I would rather barter 200 of a festival token for an unlimited use petamorph wand.
    Emms and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  10. Whilhelmina Well-Known Member

Achievement "Can't Hold Their Liquor":
    The 115 mark is too high. In Erollisi we could run the race in Antonica and commonlands and the areas were huge. Here, it's really really small and if there's at least 2 peoples around, there's no way to reach 115. You should consider dropping the mark to 100.

/Agreed there. I didn't grab the wands for that reason.
  11. Kaitheel Developer

Not as a pet illusion, no. It was one of the 4 previously available plushies from this quest though.

As for Petamorph Wands, I don't like 'em being limited charges either. I'll change that.

~Kaitheel
  12. redwoodtreesprite Well-Known Member

Thank you!!! :D
  13. Kaitheel Developer

These have a much faster respawn time than the Erollisi Day essences did. Please try it out for a while. And keep in mind that the intention on the contest achievements is that they are challenging. They are one of the very few aspects of a holiday event that is not an easy thing to attain.

~Kaitheel
  14. Whilhelmina Well-Known Member

I'm not the best one to try, I'm usually fast and efficient (at least faster than average) and ran 116 on first try. I think it's too high anyway, and I encourage people to come and test it to give their own advices.

I published part of the house items in my "Live Event - brewday 2013" opera house in Qeynos (under Leucosia, medium homes)
    It's getting late so I'll check more tomorrow anyway.

Thanks for the wands!

Could the "Snoogle's Party Keg" be made tradable? I have a bunch of those and always have to char-hop to find the right owner.
  15. Oparis Member

Who is giving this new quest? Is it neccessary to complete other quest before?
  16. Cloudrat Well-Known Member

Please enlighten us as to the reasoning for making a contested run in a holiday event not an easy thing to attain?
  17. Kaitheel Developer

Because not everything has to be.

But allow me to point out, I was speaking of the achievement, not the contest itself.

~Kaitheel
  18. Kaitheel Developer

"Rummage for Answers" is offered by Tellar Blackswell in Bar of Brell, after you've completed "Deep Within Hammerhall".

~Kaitheel
  19. Absyntheea Well-Known Member

Thank you, Kaitheel! That makes them totally worth having! :-D
  20. Cyliena Well-Known Member

Kaitheel, I'm good at these races. I'm not spectacular and I'm usually pushed off of the top ten board by those who are exceptional racers with insane scores I can never understand, but it is extremely rare that I don't score in at least the enormous prize level.

These race achievements are seriously frustrating me. I'm not saying they're unattainable. I have personally seen two people get it on Test while taking breaks between races and from the leaderboard six people have so far achieved them (no idea if any of those six are alts of each other). So obviously it's possible. There's two primary factors that I think are leading to my frustration:

1. I haven't confirmed this yet with the Brewday race, but for the Erollisi Day race players with the two ground mount speed AAs and access to a guild hall mount buffer amenity had a huge advantage over those who did not have one or both of those AAs. It put them at a constant 150% run speed. On Test my character is not high enough adventuring level for the Shadows AA and only has one rank in the tradeskill AA, which gives her a measly +2% bonus.

2. This race and its scoring system is not designed for more than one person to be running the race. I'm sorry, but even as a mostly solo player I recognize that this is an MMO and it is unrealistic to expect that no other players will be present in a non-instanced zone.

Here's the huge difference between the Erollisi and Brewday races: Erollisi Day has a LOT more real estate with hearts on it, and it is highly feasible for at least two people to run the race together and be successful. Brewday has a very small area, and while you are correct that the goblins respawn quickly, the mugs do not. Nor does the speed buff from the mug last long given their respawn rate. If you are racing against at least one other person most of the time you will feel like you're digging through slog and will constantly be bumping into the other person.

What proof do I have that this is an issue? Pickett and I tested it out a couple of times together, along with solo runs.

Our high scores from solo runs prior to running the race together was 94 (Pickett) and 109 (me). We then ran one race together and scored 71 (Pickett) and 89 (me). We decided to see our scores plummeting was a fluke or not and ran another together. We scored 70 (Pickett) and 89 (me). In our experience, at least one other person being present can drop your score by 15-20.

After Pickett logged out I continued to try and get the achievement, but now I'm throwing in the towel (for the record, I was able to get the Erollisi Day achievement on a char without mount speed AAs like my Test char is with my graphics on extreme quality). Here are the remainder of my scores:

Second Solo Run: 110
    Third Solo Run: 105 (at this point I turned my graphics down to extreme performance because I was desperate to get the darn achievement.. I forgot to adjust particle distance though and couldn't see the mugs until I got really close to them, so this score was my bad)
    Fourth Solo Run: 102 (still really low graphics, ran at about 70FPS, and particles were adjusted correctly, however another player started their race partway into me doing this race)
    Final Solo Run: 111 (kept low graphics and was at 70FPS in first person)

Since this feels like an essay, I guess I should write a conclusion.

In conclusion, while the goal is achievable for a small portion of the population, it is just out of reach for the average high performing part of the population. As the achievement grants absolutely nothing except points which do absolutely nothing, it seems reasonable to try lowering it little by little until people think it is a reasonable challenge instead of a I-need-to-be-hyped-up-on-horse-testosterone challenge.

The End. :p
    Finora and Absyntheea like this.