Blue token system flawed (IMO)

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Pipsissiwa, May 3, 2013.

1. Mermut Well-Known Member

The heroic components can be purchased for 100 blue coins and 50k status per.. and the base tempered (fabled) items are slightly below the quality of the legendary group drops from CoE. It appears the tempered items were 'balanced' around the assumption that you used a refined rare for the regular item, upgraded it to tempered and then experimented on it 5 times to make it worthwhile.
  2. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Sucky game design would be ignoring the fact that many people have several crafting alts and balancing distribution for that population. Sucky game design is the fact that someone made it so we could easily raise so many crafting alts. It puts the current team in the position of trying to please everyone and not take anything away. I don't like it either, but this is the way things are now. You may as well add a few crafters if you want to get things done faster. You can even skip the epics and faction grinds.

I'm of the opinion that other classes shouldn't be making my stuff (furniture) and I don't like making other people's stuff. I rolled a carpenter to make furniture, not armor or weapons. I can deal with holiday recipes being the way they are. I'd rather not see new carpenter recipes go artisan just because a couple of people feel like they missed out on something, when they really didn't. That's bad design.

When you look at things from the perspective of brokering items, non-carpenters have it pretty easy. With their smaller selection of goods, it's easier to figure out what's going to sell. It's different with furniture because everyone has different tastes. Anyone could want anything from our vast selection of goods. When new items are introduced, it's a brief chance to make a litlte extra change. I don't think it's fair to take that away.
  3. Taysa Well-Known Member

Honestly, it's this type of attitude that's effectively killing off crafting.

Carpenters make decorating possible, ergo, they should get the best stuff, right? Forget the best, they should be the only class that gets any (fluff) stuff.

No. It doesn't take more effort or work to level a carpenter. Leveling a carpenter isn't harder than leveling a weaponsmith, or an alchemist, or a provisioner. There is no "prestige" about it. You go through the same process as any other tradeskill class. Just because you feel special because you can make pretty furniture for your house doesn't make the class "prestige" or "priviledged." Calling yourself that is just arrogant. Just because the decorating community relies on carpenters doesn't make them "prestige." (And honestly, I have yet to meet an avid decorator who doesn't have their own carpenter.)

I have one TS class. That's a carpenter. So don't mistake me as some jealous non-carpenter who wants to make pretty things too. I can already make every carpenter item in the game, save for bunch of these new ones because of the silly token requirement to buy them. But to place yourself above any other tradeskiller is ridiculous.
  4. Gregore Active Member

The quest gloves and items available to purchase with the blue coinc both suck. This was a total waste of time for me. I won't be bringing my other four end game tradeskillers through this questline. They can get the travel bell usage from doing the adventure questline, which at least rewards you with a fairly decent charm for your time and effort.
  5. Deveryn Well-Known Member

For all intents and purposes, the carpenter class is the only independent class and it has its own play style attached to it. The community has elevated its importance. I think the word prestige comes from the way folks in that community carry themselves and how they scream bloody murder whenever they don't get something in an update.
  6. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

Loved it, in the process of setting up my Necro's island with the grave yard and all the other Halloween style items that. Already have the torturer err relaxation chamber done, not if I can just get some body parts and plushie zombies
    Feara, Deveryn and Pipsissiwa like this.
  7. Wookin New Member

I'm glad that the gravestones appeal to some people, and will be fun for their projects. I'm just sad that I haven't yet found a "Yay" thing in the GU yet.

Maybe they could do a trade-reactants-for-coins kind of thing like they did with obols and before that with shards.
  8. Feara Well-Known Member

Why yes, yes we do, please and thank you.
  9. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Pro tip: Instead of just saying "_____ and _____ suck", perhaps you could explain why (in detail) you believe they suck, and furthermore, how they might be improved. o_O

Unless, of course, you aren't interested in providing constructive feedback.
  10. Alenna Well-Known Member

and how many months of dailies are you going to have to do to get the recipes?
  11. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I don't know. It's not like I'm in any kind of rush.
    Spindle likes this.
  12. Alenna Well-Known Member

I think that is what some people are not happy with especially those that don't have 9+ crafters at 95 the dailies will take months for them. I have 3 crafters at 95 soon I hope to have 4 and it will still take me a while to get the rest of the coins for my carp's books(she's the one i"m trying to get to 95.) I think they should give some other options to get the coins so that we can have the recipies before the next expansion hits. ;)
    Pipsissiwa likes this.
  13. Rotherian Well-Known Member

What confuses me is that, if they provided a way to get them faster, some of the same people (not all, mind you, but some) would complain that there wasn't enough content to last until the next expansion*.

* Note: This is an assumption based upon the prior reaction of a portion of the player base in similar circumstances.
    Deveryn likes this.
  14. Pipsissiwa Well-Known Member

Personally, I'm not sure making it so people can only get tokens by doing a tradeskill apprentice quest on several toons once per day constitutes significant 'content' anyway.......
  15. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Ok. Pretend you have a single developer working for you (that also works development for PvP). Outline your plan for keeping both tradeskillers and PvPers occupied for the next 6+ months. I await your answer with keen interest.
  16. Taysa Well-Known Member

Those same people also cite as logging in just to do dailies and log out a part of the problem. Dailies are neither fun nor engaging.
    Pipsissiwa likes this.
  17. Pipsissiwa Well-Known Member

You misunderstand what I was saying. What I meant was that making something slow to achieve by making us only able to do a quick daily repeatable isn't 'content to last till the next expansion'. So saying that with extra ways to earn tokens people will moan there isn't enough to last isn't really an issue, as they will run out long before either way. Both adventurers and tradeskillers will run out of stuff to do _long_ before the next expansion or GU - most of us mere mortals will be bored of logging in just to do a daily tradeskill probably pretty quickly too. The only thing keeping me personally logging in will as always be my guildie friends and decorating my many, many homes, not a daily repeatable which is all there is to do months down the line.

Making content is very hard,I completely appreciate that but there has been a slow shift towards daily repeatables in recent years, for faction and now for currency, that gets boring very, very fast (at least for me) and feels like lazy design and player 'busy work'. Personally I am sick of it, and the thought that the only way I can get the items available to me is to put in 3 months of tedious 'do the same thing every day', yet again, and this time for fluff recipes, even if it doesn't take long, makes a game (which is supposed be a fun diversion from life and work) into a job. Thats why none of my toons have amazing gear - I got bored running the same zones over and over pretty fast too. This is why I am a carpenter :) This is also why I hate raiding, but thats another thread. This is all only my opinion, but it is a valid as any other.
  18. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I had a look at the list. With the way I'm dividing the recipes (having the same crafters make the same items as in previous tiers), it shouldn't take more than 2-3 months to learn everything.

When people propose some kind of developer action to rectify a situation, I usually have a suggestion that takes people less time than trying to get the devs to even consider whatever it is they're requesting. This case is no exception. Level more crafters. It takes almost no time at all. If it means so much, don't just sit back and wait for coins to be handed out. Just look at what happened to reactants. People begged and pleaded for more. They sure got them in this update. ;)
  19. Taysa Well-Known Member

Plan: Hire someone to replace Domino ASAP and let the PvP dev focus on PvP.
  20. Deveryn Well-Known Member

If you really want more to do, then go out and adventure more. Tradeskilling simply can't give much content, as there's only so much you can do. However, there are plenty of old dailies you can run for extra cash, if you're so inclined. If you feel those are too much work, then the devs are just giving you what you and others have asked for and you really can't call it lazy design.