Blue token system flawed (IMO)

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Pipsissiwa, May 3, 2013.

1. Pipsissiwa Well-Known Member

I cannot accurately express how much I hate the blue tokens for furniture recipes - the nice stuff for 100 tokens i can see the point, but for fluff furniture? Don't get me wrong, I adore furniture (that's why my first ever toon was a carpenter right from launch and why this has irked me). However housing is ultimately just cosmetic fluff - it doesn't affect gameplay or give people advantages /disadvantages in the game.

I'm having to run the craft quests on all my crafters to try to get enough blue things (thankfully heirloom) just so my carpenter can get all the recipes which frankly is quite dull (although I get the gloves which is nice). Some of them are babies adventure-level wise, however, and those zombies are a nightmare. Otherwise at only one token per apprentice per day to save up the extra 160 or so tokens needed will take at least 4 months, and that's assuming i can log in every day (which I can't). I know it is nice to have something to work towards, but potentially months of effort so I can make a table or a rug? Really?

Its only my opinion and I'm sure plenty will say it doesn't matter, or I don't need to make furniture etc etc etc but such a dramatic change and for non-gameplay affecting items is not a good move - IMHO.

Oh and since the tokens are heirloom, how about making the recipes heirloom too, since they can only be bought with heirloom items. I have a guildie who didn't realise and bought one for their carpenter and then couldn't give it to them. Their fault, but still.....
    Taysa, Alenna, Karrane and 3 others like this.
  2. Tkia Well-Known Member

Pips, are you really saying that in order to get all the new recipes for a single crafting class we need to find 160 tokens more than we are awarded from doing the quest line? And additionally that the only way to earn these extra tokens is by doing a daily grind on the apprentice quests which is content that requires an 'optional' expansion?
  3. Pipsissiwa Well-Known Member

Well by my calculations there are 20 carpenter furniture recipes at 10 tokens each, so to buy them all you need 200 tokens. The new craft questline gives just under 40 tokens, and so far the only other way i can find of getting them is to do the daily 'make me some new tools' quest from your normal tradeskill apprentice - which has granted one token per repeat...... So as far as I can tell...... yes.
  4. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

Technically if you've 6 90+ crafters you can buy all the recipes in a few days by running them all through the quest line. But if you don't, or if your carpenter is an exile (like mine), you're stuck with that long, painful grind.

At least the tokens are heirloom, so we can pool them between chars. I'd definitely like to see the recipes be heirloom too (and exiles be given access to the shared bank already).
  5. Karpov Member

where do you spend the blue tokens? Also, where is the daily?
  6. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Blue tokens are spent in an adjacent room in the big tent. (to the right as you enter)

The daily is the apprentice research quest.

This whole thing is still way better than the Skyshrine apprentices. At least the furniture will be cheap on broker for those that still don't have AoD.
  7. Karpov Member

Thanks Deveryn. I was disappointed in the possible rewards. I agree with the OP, not really worth the time. I did hear something about a call to CS. Have not found it yet.
  8. Deveryn Well-Known Member

The world bell unlocks entry to CS after either the adventuring or tradeskill series.
  9. Cloudrat Well-Known Member

No words :(
  10. Tkia Well-Known Member

Wow. Just wow.

Somewhere in the last few years SOE seem to have lost track of a vital concept. EQ2 is a game. The most important thing about a game is that it is supposed to be FUN. Logging in every day for 5 months to get a single token in order to access the new content is not fun. It's a chore. And the apprentice quest is a particularly tedious and frustrating chore as it basically boils down to watching a whole bunch of zoning screens randomly interspersed with crashing to desktop given the current badly optimised state of the game and its wonderful zoning memory leak. The game appears to have mostly just turned into a list of chores. Up until now I've tolerated the chores because the fun to be had at the end with the new recipes was worth it. 5 months of grind for a few recipes? Definitely not worth it.

Collecting and making furniture on my carpenter and playing around with decorating is about the only thing that's kept me logging in for the last 3 years. Looks like SOE finally found a way to stop me doing even that.
    Guiscard likes this.
  11. Laiina Well-Known Member

Until they get some of the bugs out of the TS quest my Carpenter has kind of given up, which means I don't have access to most of the recipes. Hard to do much in the camp when level 96 undead are pathing through it and she is only 48. So til then all the blue tokens I get are pretty much useless.
    Guiscard and Cyliena like this.
  12. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

My level 46 didn't have any trouble in the camp. The flying snakes, on the other hand...wish they rendered sooner so I could spot them and fly around them.
  13. Prrasha Well-Known Member

I won't be buying the recipes until the prices come down to "something you can afford with the blue tokens the questline gives you". Just put all the furniture in one recipe book for 10 tokens or something, for Brell's sake.
    Guiscard and Cyliena like this.
  14. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I'm going to ask the awful questions and get the eyes rolling. Did folks check this out in beta and did this come up in the beta forums? The fact that the bell came up at the last minute tells me we could've used more eyes on the TS stuff.

We had a good month to examine this and possibly get the system changed. Here we are on Live, with complaints. I will freely admit I was lured back into EQ1 and neglected my testing toons. I think it might have been nice to have all the furniture available at once, but this actually gives me something to work towards, which is something people have been requesting. Unfortunately, it's also been balanced against folks with 9+ toons. I'm not looking forward to trying to run the questing on my lower level toons, but I'm not going to make a huge fuss. I had my chance to check it out and maybe help avoid some grief. :p
  15. Laiina Well-Known Member

These are supposed to be "prestige" recipes I assume, and like others in the past not everyone gets them just for spending a few gold on the broker. As you can see by the huge amount of the CoE Grandmaster spells for sale on broker, that system was epic fail - spells are so common they are selling for less than vendor buyback on broker.
    Guiscard likes this.
  16. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

They were priced like that on Beta. I will admit I only ran beta with 1 tradeskiller (an armorer) during the first week of it, and missed spotting Plex's quests, so had no idea the globe was supposed to be activated, or that we got gloves.

Of course there are never enough players checking out beta, so there's sure to be things missed in both TS and ADV. Personally, I didn't think the price of those recipes was such a huge deal, but then I have 9x95 working the apprentices, and if all 9 run the quest series in CS, well....by the time that's done my carpenter should have quite enough tokens,.
  17. Laiina Well-Known Member

I think this is actually a reversion back to older systems where some recipes were special or you had to quest for them, or in some way were not just massively common drops. It tends to reward those that spend the time to get it - in theory at least. Personally I am fine with them being no trade after thinking it over.
  18. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Since the tokens are HEIRLOOM, all a carpenter needs to do is to get to the vendor to purchase them. I think, anyway. Is the vendor visible and willing to sell to you if you have not done any tradeskill quests in Cobalt Scar?

I remember in beta I spotted her shortly after I got to the main camp, and she was willing to show me everything she was selling. Didn't try purchasing furniture, which is 5 tokens, since I wasn't testing decorating. The carpenter recipe to make each furniture piece is 10 tokens. So non-carpenters can buy the furniture, but have to decide if the 5 tokens are worth it, or spend plat on broker for carpenter made. Meanwhile carpenters get to have fun figuring out what to sell an item that cost them 10 tokens to get the recipe for. Neat new approach.

Anyone know what the materials needed for the recipes are? Hopefully not something that you need to buy using yet more tokens :)
    Guiscard likes this.
  19. Mermut Well-Known Member

I haven't gotten all of them yet (only get 37 coins for completely the questline + 1 per day per TS apprentice and it takes 200 coins to get all the recipes) but the ones I've got only use standard mats.
  20. Pipsissiwa Well-Known Member

I'm all for something to work towards, but without a string of high level crafting alts it seems a ridiculous amount of time to work for what are, basically, fluff recipes. Either SOE assumed we'd all have the alts and run the quest line with them all (thus why bother making them so pricey), or they really think 4 months is a reasonable amount of time to have to work for fluff recipes. Gear recipes I can see it.

Those carpenters who have the recipes will be those who have lots of alts and lots of time, and there are plenty of those, so the products won't be especially rare. Put them all in one book that we work for, or have a couple of expensive super nice item recipes and the rest for like 2 coins or something. Or give us some recipes as we quest. Like I said, I can see the desire to work towards those 100 token items that make some nice gear, but furniture recipes? Excessive.

Plus it means that players who care about their carpenters will be at a massive disadvantage in saving up the tokens for the gear items - they will have to choose - run all their alts and get recipes, or run all the alts to buy a gear item (or two) - a decision those who don't care about furniture won't have to make. Thus those of us who adventure AND love our homes have to choose between them, or wait 3 months or so for the other option. If there were 'normal' 10 token recipes for all the tradeskills this wouldn't be an issue, but only carpenters are affected.

I'm one of those who never does the beta because i prefer to play it 'new' once it is live - otherwise (for me) it takes the fun out of playing it when it goes live, so I am hugely grateful to those who do!
    Guiscard likes this.