Arrows - bloody hell

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-heha33, Dec 15, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Gnome mercy Guest

Theres a huge difference between lore and gameplay, sure its eq1 in the sense that the lore was based on eq1 but the gamplay the style its all different, in eq1 all you had was autoattack and a few spells/skills in eq2 you have autoattack and loads of skills. Now the reason why I went to eq2 is cause of the no need for endless quiver and crap like that I don't want to play eq1 I want something new to use instead of just taking eq1 and making better graphics, i want a game that will stand out not entirely eq1 but a small proportion of eq1. Now like i said if i wanted to play eq1 I would go log on eq1 but I want to play EQ2 so lets think of something new instead the same ol BS. The reason why I left eq1 is there is nothing new, the reason i came to eq2 is cause its all new except for the lore and the zones of course. I want something to change or it all becomes the same thing over.
  2. ARCHIVED-GrlGmr Guest

I just got makeshift arrows Master II and summon 65 arrows every 10 minutes. With the AA, you can lower the time down almost in half, I think. Maybe more. Even with a 16 slot quiver, I've got arrows up to my eyeballs if I keep hitting the button when I'm doing stuff like exploring, crafting, or browsing the broker. I'm only level 30 though. We use 65 arrows in five minutes later on?
    My suggestion to fix the arrow thing would be to allow us to recover a percentage of arrows from the mob's corpse. Like say 50%, with maybe an AA to up the percentage.
    Message Edited by GrlGmr on 01-22-2007 04:38 PM
  3. ARCHIVED-Nuladen Guest

By the time you are 70 you'll be running out of stuff to explore for any length of time, some of us don't craft and personally, my time spent browsing the broker is minimal.

65 arrows in five minutes? and the rest I'm afraid.

We already get the ability to rip/tear an arrow out of a mob, maybe this is the answer albeit not helping the woodworker situation any, allow us to rip a decent percentage/number back out and also allow it to rip out the same tier arrow as was fired in the first place, how I manage to rip Indium arrows out of a mob I've used Adamantine arrows to pincushion I'll never know.
  4. ARCHIVED-GrlGmr Guest

I remember way back when I played an Iksar in EQ1, I had a macro that mapped the forage button to the A or D key (I use WASD) so I wouldn't keep forgetting to hit it. I assume it possible to map the makeshift arrows button to the same key in EQ2? That way every time you move and the button is up you summon arrows automatically.
  5. ARCHIVED-Nuladen Guest

Totally possible, and I believe people do just that, but the simple fact remains that even used everytime available it isn't enough, and that doing as suggested is likely to kill you quite a bit if you like to run through agro mobs stealthed.
  6. ARCHIVED-Axor Guest

the problem is that when you log in raid logout .. log in raid logout. You spend more arrows than you can sumon.

thats the base problem.
  7. ARCHIVED-tekniko Guest

About what level does arrow cost generally start to become a problem?
  8. ARCHIVED-BigChiefJJ Guest

I have never bought arrows so arrow cost has not been a problem to me personally; however I spend a lot of time exploring, harvesting and have always had master lvl summoning arrows spells that were able to keep up with my play style. I have a 22 slot quiver that I keep full and continuously summon arrows. I also make sure I have an overflow of arrows in my inventory boxes and my bank boxes. I have found that arrow consumption has dramatically increased in T6 & T7. The run through AoAx2 for the claymore quest update last night used 1884 arrows.
    I can see if I did that every night I would have to buy arrows quite frequently. Making them myself is not time effective even though I’m a woodworker.
    I found more importantly that once I hit lvl 50 I started seeing reduced damage from my auto-attacks because I was using summoned fulginate arrows instead of indium. This problem went away when I was able to start using T7 arrows at lvl 62. So if you really want the max damage that you can do I think your going to see a problem starting when you move into T6. And if you don’t have “down time” between groups to summon arrows you will either have to buy the expensive ones to live up to your potential DPS or save money buy the cheaper ones and take the DPS hit.
  9. ARCHIVED-Ranja Guest

Yeah and then when you are invis in an area of heroic mobs, you will break invis and summon arrows;) Dead FTW!

Better is to tie the summon to an alarm that pops up on the screen.

This is what I use
    /usea Reclaimed Arrows
    /r_alarm_sess_dur_minutes 11.0
    /alarm_restart_sess_dur_alarm

This will pop up an alarm when my reclaimed has refreshed. I hit reclaim and click OK on the alarm to reset it.
  10. ARCHIVED-EQ2Magroo Guest

Once you get Stream Of Arrows you find your arrow usage jumps through the roof. When you add in the AA lines that reduce casting and give multishot etc. you are using approx 1 arrow per second during each fight.

If you assume 1 arrow/sec and 50% downtime, then in any 10 minute period that is 5 minutes * 60 = 300 arrows. In this time, you can harvest 65 arrows if you have a Master II. Most people would have the AD3 or M1 though as the last thing you need is to sacrifice a useful Master II DPS spell to replace it with arrow gathering :( I'd hate to think what the situation was if your downtime is less than 50%...

So unless you spend a lot of time doing other stuff like questing/chatting/crafting then you very quickly run out of gathered arrows.

If you're a frequent raider then you've no option but to end up spending a lot of plat either making arrows (takes a lot of time too!!) or on vendor arrows instead.

My Ranger is a lvl 70 WW and there is no way I'll bother making arrows for myself, it just takes too much time. For a typical raid I would need 2,000 arrows to be sure I didnt run out. This takes anything from 80-100 combines depending on RNG. If I allow 90 seconds per combine, this gives anything from 2 hours to 2.5 hours. My costs to make each arrow is maybe 1s less than buying on broker, which give me a saving of about 20 GP. I don't know about you, but I can earn way more than 20 GP in 2.5 hours. Even harvesting tier 3 rares in Thundering Steppes will generate more than 20GP for 2.5 hours work and it's a lot more interesting than crafting arrows !

The thing that really annoys me about all this though is that SOE can't see it's a serious issue, or if they do, they don't care about it enough to fix it. I guess not enough people play Rangers (mmm, I wonder why that could be ?)

Message Edited by EQ2Magroo on 01-26-2007 10:05 AM
  11. ARCHIVED-Nuladen Guest

Actually if you read back through this thread there is a dev response saying that they are aware of it, that said it'd be nice if even as a temporary fix they increased the amount of arrows aquired by the reclaimed arrow line.
  12. ARCHIVED-Ranja Guest

Yep i remember that statement and the scary thing is they did fix it ( at least in their minds) - they gave us AA points to waste to fix a broken game mechanic instead of getting a real fix. I doubt we will ever see another fix because in their minds the AA is a perfectly acceptable solution to our arrow woes.

Scary stuff.
  13. ARCHIVED-Nuladen Guest

Posted: 01-09-200701:45 AM

So you must have seen a different post as EoF AA's were in well before that.
  14. ARCHIVED-EQ2Magroo Guest

Please don't take this the wrong way, but the old saying "talk is cheap" comes to mind. When I actually see something concrete from the devs I'll stop badgering people about this issue.

Let's face it, if it was any other class talking about losing 1-2PP per raid on top of whatever their repair bills were, something would have been done by now.

I just don't see why they haven't even implemented a short term solution of increasing arrow gathering to 99 ? That would a simple change to the spell, no need to worry about code changes (anything more than 99 may need code rewrites I guess to handle multiple stacks being filled each gather). Sure it would annoy people who had spent money on AD3 or M1 spells, but I'm sure they'd understand that it was a temporary fix whilst the whole arrow issue was looked at. It's not like we've just started using arrows, it's been like this for 2 years now. Come on SOE, show us some Ranger love !
  15. ARCHIVED-Nuladen Guest

I agree talk is cheap, but they have at least acknowledged the issue.

Your second point is pure assumption and has absolutely no basis in fact, how could it, no other class has been affaected by such.

Already said so myself, I wonder if and when the fix goes live we should start a mass movement to reclaim costs incurred ;)
  16. ARCHIVED-Gnome mercy Guest

yeah, good luck with that lol, they barely wanna fix our arrow situation why would they wanna fix the money in our pockets? thatll take them another 2 or 3 years
  17. ARCHIVED-Nuladen Guest

For those that didn't get it, the ;) signified I was joking.
  18. ARCHIVED-Gnome mercy Guest

I got that I was just being sarcastic
  19. ARCHIVED-RagingWolf Guest

Arrow really aren't that bad, guilds can help cause they have crafters that can help you out or you can get the ranger aa that helps you with summoning more arrows more frequently. Always keep some on stock, and alternate your attacks melee and ranged, otherwise you will go threw arrows fast. I keep about 4000 arrows on me at all times, none of which I have paid for. I always summon ever chance I get.
    ~Ragingwolf
    70 Ranger
    Oasis server
  20. ARCHIVED-Badaxe Bart Guest

RagingWolf wrote
    Arrow really aren't that bad, guilds can help cause they have crafters that can help you out or you can get the ranger aa that helps you with summoning more arrows more frequently. Always keep some on stock, and alternate your attacks melee and ranged, otherwise you will go threw arrows fast. I keep about 4000 arrows on me at all times, none of which I have paid for. I always summon ever chance I get.
    ~Ragingwolf
    70 Ranger
    Oasis server
    I understand that you are your own guild leader, well the majority of us don't have that advantage. I have spent almost 100 plat since hitting 70, on arrows alone. It must be nice to not have to spend your own money. It must be nice to have crafters 'give' you what you need. I wonder just how many posts you read on this thread? You do understand that you have a unique and enviable position if you can use 1-2k arrows per night and never have to pay for them. As to the AA ability to increase the timer on summoning arrows? I'm not wasting any AA points there as the benefit just doesn't overcome the deficiency. And also, realize that not every ranger can just go out and buy the M1 of summoning arrows. I haven't even seen it on my server broker. Not that I could afford it, as t7 ranger masters start at 15pp on Venekor.