Ammo consumption rates are getting ridiculous

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by ARCHIVED-Neiloch, Mar 5, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-zehly Guest

1. Bigger quivers. 2. Bigger stacks of arrows. 3. More arrows per higher-tier combine. ??? Profit. I like arrows, knives, shurikens, etc. I like consuming them. It makes it feel real. It'd be like taking away ammunition from COD. It makes sense if you are "multi attacking" that your ammunition is consumed for each "hit". Just feels right to me. I know it's a fantasy game, but a Ranger with infinite arrows is absurdly unrealistic. I'll get off the soapbox, though... All that aside, if mechanics are left alone, the above list would make (almost) everyone happy, I think. At level 92, gimme stacks of 500-1k, 44 slot quivers, and combines of 2-4k.
  2. ARCHIVED-Regolas Guest

I think the best idea is time based like food and drink. Make the ammo conservation buffs already in game into extensions of the time. Quivers still hold the arrows, so you can hold 30 or more time based arrow stacks if you want. Maybe then we can choose which arrows we use based on the encounter... +accuracy/hit bonus, +slashing, +crushing, +heat, +ice, etc
  3. ARCHIVED-General_Info Guest

zehly wrote:
    1)been done before quivers are large enough already, bandaid fix not solving the core problem.
    2)been done before arrow stack increased from 100>200 again a bandaid fix only increases capacity production time is unchanged and as boring as usual
    3)see T10 arrow recipies (normal and adv) normal recipies now produce 200 per combine, targeting the real problem of arrow production being the boring downtime when a woodworker-range has to refil his/her supply of 2K or more arrows which have been used up during the day.
    With the change to production amounts in T10 it is better then it was. making 200 arrows or more now takes half the time to produce.
  4. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

zehly wrote:
    I'm half-expecting a 'lol i was just trollin bro' reply after this. Any argument from realism had little basis when EQ2 came out and definitely has MUCH less now. Realism at the cost of fun in a video game is what's absurd.
    Increasing production amounts significantly is the LEAST they could do. The fact they haven't done it yet leads me to believe there is some chart or formula somewhere telling them that would be 'unbalanced.' I suspect most of the developers don't play the game in any significant capacity so they can't even make a judgement call, they just have to trust 'the numbers.'
  5. ARCHIVED-Orthureon Guest

The irony of all this??? Mages were complaining about not having ranged autoattack... they got it AND they don't need to use ammo or even power when it fires off?!?! At the very least it should eat up decent amounts of power to compensate for the fact they can use it without ammo.
    Like a poster above me said, a preset bundle of arrows would be a smarter idea for crafting. Instead of stacks you can make varying size bundles. This will lower crafting time as bundles would hold many more arrows, perhaps 1000 per craft. The crafting process would still consume the same amount of material as is needed now for that many. The lowered crafting time would also drop prices on the broker, probably dramatically.
    This would also open the way for arrows to be crafted with special properties without being so expensive to buy and craft. IE on hit, this arrow will explode causing x amount of damage in "x meter" radius. Or arrow will stun target etc. I am not sure why they never added those properties to arrows. This would also make it so perhaps rangers could have exclusive access to some of the best ammo in game. Making the Ranger class unique in that sense.
  6. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

Only thing good that came out of casters getting that ranged auto was that they FINALLY put in a auto attack mode selection system. Maybe later that ranged auto will actually start drawing some attention for caster DPS.
    Rift did a good job giving marksman class multiple ammo types, really it was just a proc off ranged attack buff since they don't have ammo though. But there were a few types and that brought a bit of utility to the whole thing. Damage proc, heal/life tap, armor penetration, and a debuff to cause the target to take 2% (max 10 stacks) more damage. If we had EXCLUSIVE access to these special types ammo could at least START being justified even though Rift still doesn't use ammo.
    Even Vanguard gave rangers EXCLUSIVE access to the best arrows in the game, and the rangers made them as a class skill. with foraged items. for free.
    I don't think there is a current generation game with a ammo system as bad as EQ2's, if they bother with ammo at all. I would have to reach back to the likes of UO, EQ1, AC or DAOC to find examples that even remotely resemble the EQ2 system and from what I know of those others games, theirs are better.
  7. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

Eq1 did give just rangers the 'endless quiver' but virtually no one else in EQ1 used arrows. my paladin had several arrow ranged spells to pull with. so did SKs. Warriors used arrows but only on pulling. there were virtually NO ranged fights. Ever. even in raiding.
    but you realize the real thing that will happen is just going to be that MA will no longer effect ranged attacks. that will be the fastest, and easiest way of lessening your arrow consumption then making up new code to make an endless quiver or reworking the combines to triple or quadruple the amount made.
  8. ARCHIVED-General_Info Guest

Rainmare@Oasis wrote:
    What gave you the silly notion that they would do that? it's not a fix, that's what we call a nerf to scouts.
    All they need to do is keep up with the increased arrows produced per combine like they did with the T10 recipes.
    as for making an endless quiver i dont think we are qaulified to say how easy or hard it might be to do.
  9. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

General_Info wrote:
    You can do it now with adorns. I got 10 ammo conservation from AA so if I slapped on 6 red ammo conservation adorns (15 each) boom, player made 'endless quiver.' Thing is I would lose about 18 crit bonus in the process. I could use less and make it 'intermittent' in combination with my 60% ammo con myth proc. If for whatever reason I was hard up for plat I would probably do it so I didn't have to get horns constantly for dragon arrows. So I would think it would be easy enough to make some effect that just applies 100 ammo conservation.
    Getting, paying and managing my ammo isn't a problem though, its just being used in absurd quantities. It's comical really. It's just this annoying little thing that does nothing to improve anyones quality of play.