Ammo consumption rates are getting ridiculous

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by ARCHIVED-Neiloch, Mar 5, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Crychtonn Guest

Inflate stack amounts and crafting amounts. Make ammo stacks 1,000. Change combines to make 1,000 for handcrafted and the new Bone arrows need to make 20,000 per combine minimum to be in line with the food, drink and potion combines from the research assistants.

PS ~ Crafter Dev needs to look at the new mob drop craft items and receipts. Fix things like the arrows being listed on the Bone Shard item but that items not in the receipt. And the arrow not listed on the Mag Horns which are in the receipt. I've heard there are other items where this is screwed up also.
  2. ARCHIVED-Zivgar Guest

You could even have a quest or make it a new tradeskll item. Whatever works, but have an item simular to a potion that an alchemist makes where it has ammo conversion as the effect instead of wasting an adornment.
    So for example the ranger could do a quest from his/her home city and the reward would be an unlimited potion that gives 40% - 60% ammo conversion or whatever would work best. This quest could be just for rangers, while an alchemist via potions or Woodworker via a totem could also give ammo conversion instead of it being on an adornment.
    You could Rangers a new ability to that when the mob dies it gives a percentage to get the amount of arrows used back.
    The ability could be an until canceled where when a mob dies will give the ranger a chance to get back 35% - 75% of the arrows used. (Numbers could be anything)

This of course is just one idea. I have seen several other good ones too. Like making it a consumable like food/drink.
    You could make the stacks larger like 1000 per stack and then increase the combine to also be 1000 per crafting combine.
    Those were a couple of the good ones I saw.
  3. ARCHIVED-Oxie Guest

Yeah, rangers use a crazy ammount of ammo, but everyone else is struggling to keep their ammo supply up.

It all comes down to this:
    Scouts/fighters have had to sink plat and time into their ranged DPS over the past 7 years. Then add in the cost of poisons on top of that for some of the scout classes.
    Mages/priests just get their ranged DPS automatically by mashing buttons without having to consume anything that costs them plat and takes time to make while crafting.
    Endless quivers/sacks needed to happen 7+ years ago. "Apply various types of poisons" should be an click of an ability, and not come a poison vial. Rift did it right by not requiring us to carry around stacks of ammo and various types of poisons.
  4. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

When I started bringing this topic up a lot on the official forums I was actually getting tells and 'thanks' for keeping it up. Most of those people played scouts other than rangers.
    Rift also did it right when it comes to consumables they do use. There aren't some classes that need to use consumables to play the fullest and some don't. For every type of consumable, there is a version for every class. It is evenly distributed.
    As the recent auto attack change has shown us, it seems the only way we will get ammo grievances dealt with is AT LEAST half the classes in the game see it as a problem.
  5. ARCHIVED-Boethius_Permafrost Guest

Two possible solutions:
    Every autoattack cycle should use one arrow (or whatever) regardless of procs, multi attacks, fluries, ae autoattacks, etc.
    Or make arrows last for a duration, like food/drink. As long as the stack of arrows hasn't run out of its timer, you can fire your bow. There's no need to count the individual pieces of ammo.
    In contrast, I think warcraft just removed ammo entirely, and eq1 gave rangers the ability to remove ammo consumption entirely, but those take out a component of the crafting game.
  6. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

Enrico@Permafrost wrote:
    EQ1 does it backwards if I remmeber correctly. There CA equivilents take arrows but auto attack does not.
    Most other fantasy MMO's don't bother with ammo anymore. WoW, Rift, GW, TERA, LOTRO, AoC.
    I wish they would just broaden crafting classes to how they work for these apprentices. Outfitter, scholar and craftsman.
  7. ARCHIVED-soulspite Guest

Enrico@Permafrost wrote:
    ^ this. Do something to fix our ammo consumption sony
  8. ARCHIVED-Rendoir Guest

The have fixed your ammo use. You just choose not to use it, as you want to maximise dps.
  9. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

Impact@Splitpaw wrote:
    That's like saying the solution for a tank class doing terrible DPS compared to other tanks is to replace their tank gear with DPS gear. Sacrificing one thing to fix another when others of the same role don't have to isn't a fix, its an imbalance.
    There is no equivilent others have to pay to 'maximise' DPS. A true fix would be much less to zero arrow use without a hit in DPS. That or some consumable mages and priests have to use to attack at range.
  10. ARCHIVED-wullailhuit Guest

Trennt@The Bazaar wrote:
    Been Pushing this idea for years , it would probibly be the easiest to code their end , more than consumables defined by time etc. etc.
  11. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

Wullailduo@Splitpaw wrote:
    Would be easy and i'd love it. But i figured if they were dead set on making ammo get consumed at this rate they could at least increase the yields on the recipes as well. All they did was make handcrafted make 200 instead of 100, which they should have done when they changed stacks to be 200 way back.
    The fact that are so many viable solutions in this very thread alone by several different people proves that this needs some sort of solution. If people were struggling with thinking of good ideas it would be different, but there are at least 5 really good ones.
    Something doesn't get this many good solutions when it's working perfectly.
  12. ARCHIVED-Crychtonn Guest

/bump

/memo to tradeskill dev

1 Maligonian Horn = 100 food/drink @ 2.5 hours (5 hours with house item) = 250 - 500 hours of game time
    1 wurm tongue, 1 wyvern stinger, 1 bone golem shard = 100 Potions @ 4 hours = 400 hours of game time

2 maligonian horns = 2,000 arrows = 1-2 hours of game time (running instances, grinding, raiding)
    See a problem? Everyone else does.
  13. ARCHIVED-General_Info Guest

Ruckus@Unrest_old wrote:
    I'd suggest creating caster ammo something like 'essence of magic' and give the recipies to sages to even out the ammo issue.
  14. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

While that might be approaching fair, even though they would use much less ammo, I don't think that is a good idea.
    I wish they would at least copy/paste the Dragon Bone Arrow recipe, tweak it for the handcrafted arrows so you can make 2k at a time.
    Crychtonn wrote:
    Indeed.
    I'm all for consumables and what they bring in a MMO. I recognize they bring a plat sink, steady work for more casual players, people who like to craft, encourage players to reach out to other players for resources, etc.
    What I don't like is some classes either having to use certain consumables while others don't, or using WAY MORE than anyone else.
    Imagine if only mages needed to buy drink for power or else they would NEVER have a way to use their spells. Or if only fighters had to repeatedly repair their armor without even dying just because they are tanking. Or if priests couldn't heal except for a few sub-par heals unless they were constantly consuming some buff potion. These are ridiculous and unnecessary, and so is requiring a consumable only a few classes need to function fully, like arrows.
  15. ARCHIVED-General_Info Guest

Neiloch@Butcherblock wrote:
    While i agree with you i'm not holding my breath over it. so the next best thing we can do is offer other ideas related to ammo so if they dont do what we primarily want they have other options to apease us (to a lesser degree).
    if they are so set on having a rare recipe for arrows they should at the very least make all handcrafted arrows 500 per craft then add some mastercrafted arrows at 1000 that use standard rares and leave the dragon bone arrows as they are.
  16. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

Just a FYI, Final Fantasy XIV is adding itself to the list of MMO's updating their system and getting rid of arrows even though they used to have them and were primarily crafted by players.
    Just sayin'
  17. ARCHIVED-Davngr1 Guest

one arrow should be consummed per swing or the "food" like ammo would work too. it's getting pretty dumb as far as range ammo goes.
  18. ARCHIVED-Freejazzlive Guest

Lexicon@Splitpaw wrote:
    Apparently, you missed the OP's very clear statement that he has no such "interdependencies," because he makes his own arrows. That "interdependency" also makes a much bigger difference when you don't have umpteen 92 crafters of your own, & your only "interdependency" is with your own characters on your own account.
    "Interdependency" is a red herring counter-argument. I'd like to think you can do better, though judging by your subsequent post & Neiloch's pure ownage response ........
    I'm mostly a soloist, not a raider at all, not even a Ranger, & I give the OP in endorsement.
  19. ARCHIVED-Giallolas Guest

I didn't read through this whole thread, so I apologize ahead of time if someone already suggested this.
    I think it would be ideal if there was just one arrow that represented all the arrows you carry. If it's going to be a dragonbone whatever of pierced whatevers, you would get one made (or dropped, I suppose) and equip it in your ranged ammo slot. All attacks would assume to use that arrow infinitely until you replace or upgrade it.
    In this manner crafters can still make money making one item, just like weaponsmiths and sages do now, and ranged attackers would only have to pay one higher price for infinite useage.
  20. ARCHIVED-Ulrichvon Guest

You are suggesting 'Endless Quiver' an eq1 AA option for rangers.
    Its a viable sollution providing its available to all classes. I don't really care what is done, other than something needs to be done.