(almost) Complete Guide to Heroic Opportunities

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, and New Player Questions' started by ARCHIVED-Kantharis, Dec 21, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Kittypoo Guest

I was grouped with friends on March 24th and we were practicing the multi-part HO's. We noticed one we had never seen before. It was a scout/priest HO that had the clockwise arrow in the middle. Scout went first with priest finishing and it gave the priest haste. Has anyone come across this before? It only happened twice and I didn't write down all the specifics, I apologize for that. I haven't had much chance to work on these before. I didn't see it listed on the guide, so I thought I'd ask. Was kinda wondering if this was working as intended....
    Janalyce, lvl 28 Kerra Dirge, Unrest server
  2. ARCHIVED-Wolfherz Guest

Sounds like: Fervent Quickening - ordered - Increases defense by 10 and periodically grants power to the player that completes the Heroic Opportunity.
    Its one of the recently added ones. It should be priest -> scout tho.
  3. ARCHIVED-Kantharis Guest

all i do is let you people know that i wont be continuing this and suggest that someone else remakes it so that it can be updated, in return you all feel the need to 1 star me. so what are the stars for again? i thought it was 1 star for usless posts and 5 stars for helpful/informative/contributing posts and then 2-4 for whats in between, if you want to be 1 staring me, if you really feel like my posts are crap then dont worry, i'll be deleting this guide. i spent so much time making it and explaing HOs and answering peoples questions and trying to make the chart look good and understandable in a way that no other guide has done and this what i get for suggesting that someone takes over for me, fine give me your 1 stars, and i'll take back my guide.
    Message Edited by Kantharis on 04-06-2005 11:56 PM
  4. ARCHIVED-VikodiN Guest

We all know the "I'm leaving" type of posts always get one starred ... unfortunate but even the mature ones get one-starred. Myself, I disregard my stars I receive and only give five stars to people who post contructive criticisms or contructive posts ...
  5. ARCHIVED-VikodiN Guest

Blah, bitterness is not a good thing.
  6. ARCHIVED-Quethel Guest

Well as luck would have it; I found this thread for the first time last night. I happened to be playing and searching at the same time, so it was on my laptop. I don't turn off my laptop, so the page was still up. Even luckier, this morning I went to post a link to this thread on my guild board, and I was doing it from my main computer. I was quite surprised to see how the thread had changed such a short time. Anyway, so here's the original text, but it's not marked up. I might do it later, or someone else can, it doesn't matter. I also have screen shots of the original post, but know nothing about HTML or how the arrows/colors were added.
    [/QUOTE]

Original Post
    Heroic Opportunities provide benefits in battle. They can damage enemies, debuff enemies, heal allies, or buff allies. Heroic Opportunities have two parts, the Starter Chain, and the Combat Wheel. Every archetype has an ability to initiate the a Starter Chain.

Fighters use Fighting Chance
    Priests use Divine Providence
    Mages use Arcane Augur
    Scouts use Lucky Break

Once a Starter Chain is initiated it shows different icons on the screen. There are 6 different icons for each archetype. If you right click on an ability and select Examine you will see two icons. The first is the icon you see on your hotbar, the second is the icon for Heroic Opportunities. Not all abilities have the second icon.

Fighter icons are all in Blue, they are: Shield, Sword, Horn, Boot, Arm, & Fist
    Priest icons are all in Yellow, they are: Holy Symbols, Hammer, Chalice, Moon, Eye, & Druidic Stones
    Mage icons are all in Red, they are: Tome, Lightning, Flame, Star, Staff, & Wand
    Scout icons are all in Green, they are: Lock, Dagger, Cloak, Mask, Bow, & Coin

When an ability with a matching icon on the Starter Chain is used it will either progress to the Combat Wheel or there will be more icons needed in the Starter Chain. The only way to break a Starter Chain is to use one of the 4 abilities that create a Starter Chain. Using the wrong abilities will no longer break the Starter Chain.

When you get to the Combat Wheel anyone can use any abilities that do not match the icons and it will not break. Under the Combat Wheel it will tell you the effect of the Heroic Opportunity. Scouts have the unique ability to change it. They can attempt to change it up to five times. It must be done before any abilities have been used on the Combat Wheel. To change it, the Scout must use an ability with the Coin icon. Even if you try to change it you could still end up with the same effect. If you cannot remember what icon each of your abilities has, don't worry, when you have an ability on your hotbar that can advance the Starter Chain or the Combat Wheel, it will blink for you. You only have 10 seconds to complete the Heroic Opportunity once you make it to the Combat Wheel.

All Heroic Opportunity buffs have a 6 minute duration. All group AoE and encounter AoE effects have a radius of 25m.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ability icons in the Starter Chain are underlined. So you must do the underlined abilities in order or you will break the chain (They are only underlined in this guide. NOT in game). Combat Wheel ability icons are in bold. Using the wrong ability there will not break the wheel.

A '+' sign means the abilities in the Combat Wheel do not have to be done in order. A '-' sign means the abilities must be done in the order shown.
    Most guides say that the different effects from each chain are common/uncommon/rare but I seem to get the common and uncommon about the same number of times, but there is 1 that is rare.

Fighter starts with Fighting Chance
    Sword [[Starts a Fighter solo Heroic Opportunity]]
    [/QUOTE]
    Horn
    [/QUOTE]
    Sky Cleave = Single Target Slashing DD
    Crushing Anvil = Encounter AoE Crushing DD
    Hero's Armor = Self Armor Buff
    [/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
    Chalice [[Starts a Fighter/Priest duo Heroic Opportunity]]
    [/QUOTE]
    Hammer + Sword
    Divine Blade = Single Target Divine DD
    [/QUOTE]
    Horn + Moon
    Crippling Shroud = Has a Chance to Slow Enemy Attack Speed When You Are Hit
    [/QUOTE]
    Chalice
    Chalice of Life = Group Instant Heal, Ward, & Health Regeneration
    [/QUOTE]
    Chalice + Sword
    Divine Nobility = Heal Over Time to a Group Memeber
    [/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
    Coin [[Starts a Fighter/Scout duo Heroic Opportunity]]
    [/QUOTE]
    Cloak + Boot
    Luck's Bite = Single Target Piercing DD
    [/QUOTE]
    Cloak - Arm
    Swindler's Gift = Group Attack Technique Buff (slashing, piercing, etc.)
    [/QUOTE]
    Cloak - Horn
    Raging Sword = Powerful Slashing DD
    [/QUOTE]
    Sword + Dagger
    Ardent Challenge = Group Strength and Agility Buff (+10)
    [/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
    Lightning [[Starts a Fighter/Mage duo Heroic Opportunity]]
    [/QUOTE]
    Horn - Lightning
    Scholar's Insight = Self Evocations and Disruptions Buff
    [/QUOTE]
    Horn + Lightning
    Storm of Ancients = Encounter AoE Magic DD
    [/QUOTE]
    Fist + Star
    Arcane Aegis = Increases AC Against Crushing and Magic Damage
    [/QUOTE]
    Flame - Arm
    Soldier's Insight = Self Attack Speed Buff
    [/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
    Hammer - Lightning [[Starts a Fighter/Priest/Mage trio Heroic Opporunity]]
    [/QUOTE]
    Star + Arm + Chalice
    Arcane Salvation = Group Power Restoration
    [/QUOTE]
    Eye - Arm - Flame
    Archaic Ruin = Single Target Mental DD
    [/QUOTE]
    Hammer + Lightning + Sword
    Thunder Slash = Single Target Divine, Magic, & Slashing DD (3 different hits)
    [/QUOTE]
    Flame - Fist - Hammer
    Ancient Wrath = Encounter AoE Long Duration Stun and DD
    [/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Priest starts with Divine Providence

Hammer [[Starts a Priest solo Heroic Opportunity]]
    [/QUOTE]
    Hammer
    [/QUOTE]
    Divine Judgement = Single Target Divine DD
    Inspiring Piety = Single Target Divine DD & Self Inspirations Buff (+10)
    [/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
    Chalice
    [/QUOTE]
    Blessing of Faith = Self Buff That has a Chance to Replish Power When You Are Hit
    [/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
    Coin [[Starts a Priest/Scout duo Heroic Opportunity]]
    [/QUOTE]
    Moon + Cloak
    Piercing Faith = Single Target Piercing DD
    [/QUOTE]
    Chalice - Cloak
    [/QUOTE]
    Divine Trickery = Single Target Divine DD & Divine and Piercing Mitigation Debuff
    Faith's Bulwark = Group Armor Buff
    [/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Mage starts with Arcane Augur
    Lightning [[Starts a Mage solo Heroic Opportunity]]
    Lightning
    Arcane Fury = Single Target Magic DD
    [/QUOTE]
    Star
    Arcane Storm = Encounter Magic AoE DD
    [/QUOTE]
    Flame
    Arcane Enlightenment = Self Power Regeneration Buff
    [/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Hammer [[Starts a Mage/Priest duo Heroic Opportunity]]
    Flame - Chalice
    Arcane Chalice = Power Restoration
    [/QUOTE]
    Hammer + Lightning
    Suffocating Wrath = Encounter AoE Magic DD
    [/QUOTE]
    Moon
    Ancient Crucible = Instant Health and Power Replenishment & Health and Power Regeneration
    [/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Coin [[Starts a Mage/Scout duo Heroic Opportunity]]
    Lightning + Dagger
    Arcane Trickery = Single Target Magic DD & Magic and Piercing Mitigation Debuff
    [/QUOTE]
    Flame - Mask
    Trickster's Grasp = Single Target Magic DoT
    [/QUOTE]
    Lightning + Dagger
    Shower of Daggers = Magic DD Proc Buff
    [/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
    Scout starts with Lucky Break
    Coin [[Starts a Scout solo Heroic Opportunity]]
    Dagger
    Swindler's Luck = Self Attack Buff
    Ringing Blow = Single Target Piercing DD
    Bravo's Dance = Self Attack Speed Buff

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
    Chalice - Lightning [[Starts a Scout/Priest/Mage trio Heroic Opportunity]]
    Lightning - Eye
    Breaking Faith = Single Target Divine DD
    [/QUOTE]
    Lightning - Hammer - Dagger
    Archaic Shackle = Encounter AoE Attack Speed Debuff
    [/QUOTE]
    Lightning - Coin - Chalice
    Crucible of Life = Full Power and Health Replenishment & Healing Proc Buff

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
    Boot - Chalice [[Starts a Scout/Fighter/Priest trio Heroic Opportunity]]
    Chalice
    Verdant Trinity = Group Instant Heal
    [/QUOTE]
    Mask + Sword + Hammer
    Nature's Growth = Group Regeneration
    [/QUOTE]
    Hammer + Dagger + Sword
    Capricious Strike = Single Target DD
    [/QUOTE]
    Lightning - Horn - Moon (???-Is this right? Should be Scout/Fighter/Priest, no Mage.)
    Shield of Ancients = Group Armor Buff

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
    Horn
    Lightning [[Starts a Scout/Fighter/Mage trio Heroic Opportunity]]
    [/QUOTE]
    Star + Mask + Horn
    Trinity Divide = Encounter AoE Piercing DD
    [/QUOTE]
    Dagger + Sword + Lightning
    Soldier's Gambit = Single Target Magic DD
    [/QUOTE]
    Mask - Dagger - Lightning
    Resonating Cascade = Power Regeneration Buff
    [/QUOTE]
    Lightning - Mask - Arm
    Grand Proclaimation = Group Increase Power Pool Buff
    [/QUOTE]
    Lightning - Cloak - Arm
    Ancient's Embrace = Group Slashing Damage Shield Buff
    [/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
    Moon - Flame [[Starts a Scout/Fighter/Priest/Mage Heroic Opportunity]]
    [/QUOTE]
    Arm - Chalice
    Strength in Unity = Group STR, AGI, INT, WIS Buff (+10)
    [/QUOTE]
    Boot - Coin - Lightning - Hammer
    Ancient Demise = Encounter AoE Crushing DD
    [/QUOTE]
    Boot + Dagger + Lightning
    Tears of Luclin = Powerful Magic DD
    [/QUOTE]
    Fist - Star - Cloak
    Past's Awakening = Massive DD & Full Group Health and Power Restoration
    [/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

If you're in a group not using Heroic Opportunities, you're missing out on a lot. If you get grouped with people who don't know how it works, just tell them what color icons they should be looking for (Fighter=Blue, Priest=Yellow, Mage=Red, Scout=Green) and let them know what the abilities they can use will blink on their hotbar. If you have more than one of a certain archtype in the group make sure they know who will advance the Starter Chain. In the Scout/Fighter/Priest/Mage chain if there are two Priests in your group and they both try to use a Moon ability, the first one will advance the chain but the second one will break it before the Mage uses a Flame ability. So just make sure they know who will be doing it.

Another thing to note, if you are in a duo with a Fighter, always let the Fighter start the chain. Duos with a Scout should have the other person start the chain. If you are in a trio with a Scout let the Scout start the chain. If you are in a trio without a Scout, let the Fighter start the chain. If you have at least 1 of each type, let the Scout start the chain (This all assumes that your duos and trios are of different archtypes). In a Priest/Mage duo, the Mage should start the chain.

If there are any corrections let me know. I have a feeling some of these may be wrong because, there is no Wand, Staff, or Bow shown (Lock , Shield, Tome, and Holy Symbols are on the abilities used to initiate a Starter Chain).
    End Original Post

Ok so I've figured out a bit about doing the the formatting. I can't do the arrows because they were some kind of .gif, not sure what he used to edit the thing. I've got work that I need to do so I can't finish this up now, but I will get to it later today hopefully. I've got all this so far saved so even if this thread gets deleted or something I'll just make a new one. BTW, this is a shining example of why the best info shouldn't be kept on a forum.
    Message Edited by Quethel on 04-07-2005 12:49 PM
  7. ARCHIVED-VikodiN Guest

Thanks for the repost.
  8. ARCHIVED-Wolfherz Guest

9. ARCHIVED-Kazabet Guest

I'm glad someone has a copy of it. It's really a shame when a few arrogant idiots can ruin such a valued resource to the community as a whole. Kantharis I'm sorry that your EQ2 experience had to end this way :(
  10. ARCHIVED-Llysander Guest

So let me get this straight.
    You create a guide to help the community.
    You become cynical and jaded.
    You quit the game.
    People complain about it (first time for that to happen in a forum)
    You act like a child and delete your post.
    A SAVIOR comes along with a copy of your post and saves the day, forever ruining your plans.
    Sound like EQ2 is a lot like CoH :)

Message Edited by Llysander on 04-17-2005 07:00 AM
  11. ARCHIVED-Tazzrin Guest

/laugh, /cough, /york all at the same time!? BRILLIANT!
  12. ARCHIVED-Kantharis Guest

actually heres how it really went, i played the game and as a scout i wanted to do more with HOs, i started to look up what different HO effects do. i found that most guides were incomplete, and wrong in many cases. i decided to make my own that would be right. so i did when i was visiting family 2000 miles away when they were at work/school and i had nothing to do. i got it finished then i decided to write a guide with it that explains to people how to use HOs. i get it goin everythings cool its helping people it gets stickied, the mods constantly move it around, apparently they can't decide which forum it should go in, it finally ends up here. i play eq2 some more... i play eq even more... i get bored with it, i tell people that they should keep this going because im not going to, not as a threat, not cynical, just notifying people that i wouldnt be updating it any more. then people have to be ___holes about it. so i decided that i dont want to help people if they're going to be like that. i was extremely bored today and renewed my subscription, i dont know how long it's going to last, but i may get around to putting it back up (even though i see someone else already did....) and how are you going to call him a savior? all he did was copy me. oh well. im not mad, it's cool that he did that, thats what i wanted someone to do, so it could be updated while i wasn't playing. now im back and havent decided if i want to do this again. some people are thankful for it, but for every 1 person that says something nice or constructive or thanks me for it theres 10 other people that just want to talk $h!t
  13. ARCHIVED-heke Guest

Hi Kantharis, i am glad you still read here cause i wanted to thank you for that guide. It is the best guide for HOs i have seen yet. It's sad that you had to take [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot] from people just because you decided to leave, but i really think there are much more people appreciating your work than there are insulting you because you leave eq2. I don't think you should think bad about the community as a whole just because of a few... well, i guess i can't really write the word anyway :smileywink:

I am also glad that the guide turned up again. This time i saved it too.
  14. ARCHIVED-Kantharis Guest

people dont appreciate my work, they just want an easy way find HOs. there are much more people trying to insult me than appreciating my work. more people appreciate the fact that it's there, not my work on it. and people like Llysander prove that when its all my work thats here, he doesnt appreciate my work, hes just glad that someone else copied it and then tries to talk @#$%! again to me (even though im the one that made it in the first place). he appreciates the guy that copied it. why? just because it is there. didnt take much work to copy and paste my original post, but they like him only because he reposted it. people only want the goods and dont care about who did it or how it got there or how much time and effort was put into it. people like that are the reason i deleted it.

BTW since i decided to play eq2 again in my infinate boredom i may make this again only because i don't trust anything that poeple say, seeing other HO guides that are horribly wrong i made this basicly for myself just so i could finally have one that was right and then decided to post it on here for other people. IF i do it again it will be in a different format. i will not post it on the forums but i will leave a link to it. it will either be in a word document or maybe .pdf if i ever figure out how to make that so people can just DL it and have it on their computers or print it out or what ever they want.
    Message Edited by Kantharis on 04-25-2005 01:46 PM
    Message Edited by Kantharis on 04-25-2005 01:49 PM
  15. ARCHIVED-[C4 Squad]Bum Bum Bana Guest

Here's a hug for you! o-O.O-o :smileyhappy:
  16. ARCHIVED-Faarwolf Guest

If someone will please repost the guide to HE's in a new thread, I'll sticky it. I was gooing to sticky this one but the information is no longer right at the top.
  17. ARCHIVED-YanariiFV Guest

18. ARCHIVED-Kantharis Guest

ok now on the main page of this thread you will find a link to download the HO guide.
  19. ARCHIVED-Eisfalcon Guest

Kantharis keep in mind that it's not just 1 to 10 good to bad, there's also 20 or 30 that just read what you did, say 'very cool', and never post to you. Your work is appreciated.

Ralphius 12 Fighter on EQII / 50 Warrior on EQ
  20. ARCHIVED-YanariiFV Guest

what's HE's?

You were gooing? that's way too much info there Faarwolfie...

HE's and gooing... sounds like too much man-gazing there... And apologies, couldn't resist...
    Message Edited by YanariiFV on 04-30-2005 02:40 AM