(almost) Complete Guide to Heroic Opportunities

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, and New Player Questions' started by ARCHIVED-Kantharis, Dec 21, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Badaxe Bart Guest

Tamesan makes a good point, and not just for Tanks, either, as spellcasters often find themselves the unwilling target of the npc(s), and basically have to react quickly with a change of what your next spell would be. Its well known that no battle plan survives contact with the enemy!
  2. ARCHIVED-Kantharis Guest

whoa i cant believe it actually let me log on here at my house today.... mozilla is still crap on these message boards though... on IE you can actually see the font, color, back around color, images, etc... but in mozilla i get all the html tags and it's hard to see everything.... well to answer your question, there are a lot of icons that are never used, BUT, read the very bottom of my original post... the fighter shield, mage tome, scout lock, and the priest holy symbols are the icons that create a heroic opportunity. (Fighting Chance, Arcane Augar, Divine Providence, and lucky break) those icons are used. but the bow, druidic symbols, staff, and wand are not used.
  3. ARCHIVED-Kelmeister93 Guest

I don't know if this has been discussed here or not, but I am having problems with my HO and don't know if anyone else has too.
    I play an Inquisitor and normally play with a guardian(spouse). When the fighter HO is started, if I cast any of my spells with the "hammer" icon, it stalls the HO. A small circle with my hammer shows up with a lighting bolt under it. We either have to wait till it expires or I have to use my HO to cancel it. This also happens when a wizard is in our group. I have reported this as a bug and to a GM and no one has any answers. It doesn't make any sense that nothing happens. Please help!
  4. ARCHIVED-YanariiFV Guest

Kelmeister93 - the lightning icon is for a Mage to continue the HO-wheel so you have a bigger one... I think it's been mentioned on these boards or even in this thread somewhere that when duo'ing with just a fighter, you need to use the chalice only to get fighter/priest HO's or use the hammer when you have a mage along for the ride. The lightning is a Mage spell that need to be cast.
  5. ARCHIVED-bigmak2010 Guest

I stopped initiating HOs in groups because I don't know how. Solo; easy; of-course. I've read about everything out there; still no answer. Participating in the HOs; no problem; get it done they work great.

There -must- be something about the starter wheel I haven't noticed or figured out.

Walk me thru this please: I'm in a group; I hit my HO starter; what happens next for this to he a group HO and not a solo HO?????????????????????????
  6. ARCHIVED-sostrows Guest

In reality there is no such thing as "solo" and "grp" HOs. There are just HOs. If you solo then of course you can only advance to the wheel using your own abilities. Now, all the icons are not used and if you notice a priest started HO can ONLY be advanced by a "hammer" whereas a fighter started HO can be advanced by 4 symbols. So by SOE design, priest initiated HOs are very limited in number whereas scout and fighter ones have many options.

Example 1: When I solo as a priest, I of course trigger-hammer then complete my HO.

Example 2: Dualing with a Zerker. Zerker will start a self-HO to get aggro then I will do all self-HOs against mob as the priest self-HO deal out nice damage and fighter self-HO pretty much just get you aggro but little damage. If he is getting hurt, one of says "HOG" and we do a fighter-priest HO that uses 2 heals.

Example 3: Now I was in EL yesterday with a Zerker-Conj-Conj-Conj-Defiler grp. I looked at my HO guide I made up and determined a great HO we should try for is Fighter start-priest advance by hammer-mage advance by lighting-wheel. We would get about 3s HO in every fight against blue^^ mobs. We could get 4 I bet but we let tank build aggro for first 5-10 sec of fight then Zerker would start HO. In this grp, we could not do any scout related HOs so we had to pick one that fit our grp.

I created a guide where I sorted the HOs by function (boss mob debuff, grp buff, aoe HO etc) as it was too hard for me to try to find the right HO just looking at the lists how they are normally displayed (listed by starter).
    Message Edited by sostrows on 03-25-2005 09:19 AM
  7. ARCHIVED-sostrows Guest

Reply to: Kelmeister93

If you have a dual fighter-priest team you only have 3 options.

1 - fighter self-HO (we call it "HOS")
    2 - priest self-HO
    3 - fighter start-priest advance with chalice-wheel if we want to do a heal on fighter.

if you do fighter start-priest advance with hammer-***mage advance with lighting***-wheel then you need a mage.

since my zerker dual buddy only does a HOS at the start, i dont use a "hammer" until he is done with his HO. if i pop a "hammer" when he starts HO then we are stalled and like you said - someone break it with a new start. when we first started, we would "step on each others toes" but quickly worked out a good fight sequence on mobs.
  8. ARCHIVED-bigmak2010 Guest

/sighwithrelief

So a priest initiated HO is always 'solo'; i.e. only a priest skill can finish it? That's certiainly been my observation and you seem to concur.

The "ward damage" HO is incredible btw. I need to look into what combination causes it. Locks everyone's health bar until a set amount of damage hs been disspelled Was triggering it constantly when grouped with a scout and a pali; but I don't know what we were doing to get it iniitiated.
  9. ARCHIVED-sostrows Guest

Yeah, basically the priest one is just self though a scout can flip it. I've never dual'd with a scout to see what happens. and if you're in a grp of 3 or more with a scout, most likely the priest will never be doing self-HOs.
    if they used all the icons you could get literally thousands of possible HO combinations. then, the list of HOs would have been like recipes. ie mage start-hammer advance-wheel = HO#244 etc. players would be posted all the combinations and creating cheatsheets on which ones were best when. however, i think there are only about 50ish HOs possible but i image more will be added as updates keep coming.
    in a grp situation (4+), ur scout/fighter/mage will be starting ur HOs.
  10. ARCHIVED-LSUwest Guest

I just wanted to clarify the Figher / Priest duo HO's mentioned above. If the fighter starts the HO and the priest advances it with a chalice, you won't necessarily get the Heal HO. You may get divine blade which is a nice DD HO. THe problem I have is that I'd really like to get that one more. Sometimes its a bit redundant to get 2 Heal over times, or 2 speed debuffs.
  11. ARCHIVED-Kantharis Guest

Well, guys, I'm outti. I can't stand EQ2 any more. So many problems I don't even want to get into it. But, I suggest someone else re-makes this so they can edit and update the HO chart. If anyone does remake this, please do NOT give me any credit for it. I don't want anything to do with EQ2 any more.
  12. ARCHIVED-Squillian Guest

Ewww, this post is all Sticky ;)
  13. ARCHIVED-Kantharis Guest

Changes have been made. Not all, but most of the new Heroic Opportunities have been added. I still need to figure out what the icons are used in some of them.
  14. ARCHIVED-JoeJohnson42 Guest

The third symbol in a fighter's self heroic ops is a sword :)
  15. ARCHIVED-Kantharis Guest

Please stop saying that Suffocating Wrath is wrong. It is not wrong. I tested it out last night and I have the correct description of it. We were in Fallen Gate, fighting 2 mindless corpses, i comleted Suffocating Wrath and it did 100 damage to one of them and 92 damage to the other. It was magic damage too. It is an encoutner AoE magic DD.
    Message Edited by Kantharis on 03-15-2005 06:08 PM
  16. ARCHIVED-Meldarion Guest

Great resource! Thanks! I didn't read all five pages (i just use the first post :p) but I believe ardent challenge is only a buff for the group member that completes the HO, not a group buff as described.
  17. ARCHIVED-YanariiFV Guest

Arcane Enlightenment = Self Power Regeneration Buff

for the Mage lightning/flame combo - examining the buff says 'has the chance to increase power when being hit' (the way I grasp this, is being hit by a MoB) which is far from self power regeneration buff...
  18. ARCHIVED-Kantharis Guest

Well it is a self buff, and it does give you power occasionally, so you say that is far from a self power regen buff? i think its pretty [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot] close actually. only difference is you dont get power each tick you have a chance to gain power each time you're hit. but i changed it for the picky-folk
  19. ARCHIVED-67thRiggs Guest

Amazing thread, 5 pointer cause you cant i can't give you 10 :smileyhappy:
  20. ARCHIVED-Sebastien Guest

[IMG][IMG]Flame - Chalice
    [IMG][IMG]Arcane Chalice = Group Power Restoration

This HO was nerfed about a month ago.. it only gives a power heal to the person who completes it.

Nice job putting the list together. =)