Ahrmatal the Scorcer

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by Garouin, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Garouin New Member

I'm part of a set group that has easily defeated this entire expansions heroic content except for the last named in Dominion, Ahrmatal the Scorcer. I'm posting here to see if there is any specific script item that we are missing that would be causing us so much trouble. The group is:

Guardian, Warden, Ranger, Assassin, Dirge, Coercer

We easily defeat all named in this zone. Each named took a bit of effort to figure out but once we do they are easy.

For Ahrmatal we have tried him maybe 30 times and the best we have done is 40% HP. We have pulled him out of the circle but the power drain gets us. We stack all on the tank and that reduces the blindness impact but we still die. We put the group stacked behind the named and still get wiped.

We have tried him inside the circle, stacked on the tank, dps/healers stacked behind the mob. We move out of the flame when needed.. etc. we have tried the the dps healers behind the mob and the tank in front.

Heck, we have even charmed mobs in the zone to help us.

Every single time, if we aren't wiped by the power drain, we do well until all of the groups defesenvie temps are used. Then he attacks the tank multiple times for 200-250K without ANY avoidance cheks at all and kill him. Please understand, this is EVERY SINGLE TIME that the power drain doesn't wipe us that the tank dies to 5-8 hits without ANY avoidance check once all of the defensive temps are down.

Is there a trigger we are missing? Is there something we need to adjust? Lag and event script for this named is HORRIBLE!!! which doesn't help at all. My wife and I sit side by side and when the flames come 90% of the time her and I see COMPLETELY different flame placement. I run one way and she runs the other and we die.

Any information would be aprpeciated.

Group Information. All members ate 5/7 Potent and arcane in the last 2 and every single piece of armor in the gorup is full upgraded with green/blues. Three of us have Potent legs form completing the daily Dominion quest. Tank is 850K solo HP and 1.1M buffed. He has 15,500 Mitigation and 45% uncontested block with 103% contested. There is NO agro issues in the group and when we can burn we do 5-7 million DPS. Tank is completely defensive with all defenvie AA's.
  2. Ucala Well-Known Member

probably missing communication. and dps, missing alot of dps
  3. Skwor Active Member

The majority ( I do mean majority, like 98%) do this fight with 2 healers. Not because of the heals but because of the temps and death saves. this fight atm is about tank temps and death saves. 1 healer and 1 tank leaves you short, ergo your deaths when you run out. You can spec multiple death saves with the new dragon line and heroic if you want to keep trying this solo healing. otherwise i recommend a second healer and this fight becomes much more manageable.
    Ranga likes this.
  4. Mae- Well-Known Member

You have to realize this mob is a x2 mob, so you need to think like a raid. A second healer (particularly templar or channeler with your warden) would help tremendously. Also, standing on the edge of the ring rather than inside or outside helps. You do need to stack tightly for the blindness part, using auto-follow helps a bit during the knockback, but you don't land quite close enough for it to be the only way to stay close, you have to constantly adjust. And yes, your dps is a touch low, tho it's doable if your coercer is a beast mana supplier.
  5. headbusta Active Member

5-7 mil dps should be about 2:40ish kill time, with Guard/Warden one of the two needs a reset on either defensive minded for the guard or cyclone for the warden if you're going to try to temp through it the whole way. If the guard gets a reset on defensive minded and he's cycling temps in a decent order, that should be enough to get you through the end of the fight. If neither get's a reset you're looking at 15-35-ish seconds (depending how fast the set # of trigger stoneskins were striped) where you're going to have to rely on heals to stay alive.

Also, Tribunal blessing for 20% of damage received is converted to heals would help a lot on the Guard.
  6. Ynnek Well-Known Member

Fight inside the circle, if you run out of power, hang the coercer up by his toenails. (I don't think we have ever run out of power on this fight)

If you are truly taking repeated hits for 200-250K (and that's not just the high end of the scale), then you are either low on mitigation, or failing to fully debuff the mob's outgoing damage. Unless you have temps to cover you 100% of the time, it's always going to come down to Mit + Debuffs + Heals during the gaps.

We *sometimes* see spikes in the 250's, but average hits are closer to 175K. ( Just looked, 175K when mostly debuffed, 150K when fully debuffed, 225K when not (or lightly) debuffed.

Care to post an EQ2u link to your tank? (In fairness, all I'm going to do is point out any slots you should have a +Mit item, and don't, assuming they exist). ;)

And if you end up doing it with one healer, my hats off to you. I don't know anyone that managed to do it with one healer before getting geared up from the zone by doing it with two...

(And don't be discouraged by other folks doing it with higher DPS. Sure, higher DPS is nice, but we generally do it with under 5M, sometimes as low as 3.8M)
  7. Rasttan Member

Have your Dirge save an AA spec with the left side prestige, Use Exuberant Encore on the Tank when you need power and to reduce the incoming damage on him a crapton and congrats on the kill.
    My crappy alt dirge heals 100k hps on Scorcher with the left side and your coercer can go balls out dps cause the dirge will keep the group full power with 1 button click.
  8. Katanallama Well-Known Member

Ultimately, I would consider dropping one of those preds to get a second healer in or at least a swash.

Script - the fire is server side, what you're experiencing is probably from having different angles and zoomed out very far. The fire is tall and at the wrong angle it can appear to be everywhere. Black vision is also pretty easy unless the tank has it, but again more than doable.

Dps - I'm a swash, sometimes I'll do this zone as the only dps (tank, healer, healer, dirge, coercer, me). I do around 2 mil ZW in this zone, and we still do 6 mil on Ahrmatal - right where your group is with two predators. That would tell me either the rest of your group isn't dpsing or your preds probably aren't parsing too well. If the former, just get your support / tank dps up, priest doesn't really have to dps on this one. If the latter, well it will tell you who to sub out for a second healer / swash. Dps isn't what directly wipes you, but the longer a mob is alive the more chances it will kill you.

Gear - Tank looks fine, but what about your dps / support / healer? Example of this: I do pugs, far too often I run into dps classes doing under 500k ZWs -the few that I was able to talk to I was able to help and get up to the 1-1.2 mil range. Basically some people are killing themselves by focusing on the wrong stats. Major question beyond tank would be healer for the group - is he / she in a full heal spec and gear?

Setup - Beyond dps, for solo healing your group is lacking debuffs. A rogue might be perfect to help the warden solo heal, but I would probably go for a second healer.

Food for thought! It's a hard fight, and rightfully so for the loot table's rares, if your group hasn't killed it in 30 attempts it might be time to try a different setup or at least start inspecting everyone's stats on the eq2u site.
  9. Jokirr Member

Must be in the 2% then, we dont run 2 healers unless thats all that wants to come, just bring a warden to cycle temps on a tank when theirs are down.
    Wardens make everything easier sadly...
  10. Sylke Well-Known Member

I've run this a few times with a couple of my characters, and with different groups. However, we have always used 2 healers and I've never done it with a Guard (never had a chance, so can't speak to how well they do).

This is last night's run with Zerker, Fury, Mystic, Coercer, Conjuror, Ranger.
    [IMG]
    Cut out the names in case they didn't want their names shown. I'm the Mystic in the above, though. Don't laugh at the DPS, I got distracted healing and didn't realize I was out of melee range :p

This was actually one of the shorter runs on Ahrmatal that I've done. Average kill time so far has probably been 6 minutes+. And none of this is by any means some bragging thing or whatever (not sure how anyone could come that conclusion with the parse, but just in case :p ). Just posted the parse in case that might help the OP (or others).

From a healing perspective, the hardest times are when the group is forced to move (either by the knockback or by flames) and that is usually when the tank dies. Some tanks are better at this and realize the necessity to do what they can to keep themselves alive since most healers cannot heal and move.

This is the incoming damage parse for the tank on that same fight:
    [IMG]
    I believe he was around 16-17k mit (maybe more) and some appropriate amount of block. He's in all Potent/heroic equipment.

It is not an easy fight, but does get easier as you learn it.
  11. Jokirr Member

Then basically what Mae said, dps might be a tad low, just stack on each other to counter the blind, rotate temp saves and dps as hard as you possibly can.
    If fire is becoming an issue for you, then communicate with the group to move each to the left or right and of course restack after (tank being only 1 not in the stack).

Sylke is correct, it gets much easier after you kill it afew times.
  12. Glassjaw Active Member

I have killed that mob many times and not once has our group needed two healers to do so. If your group avoids the flames they hardly take any damage otherwise. Debuffing will help quite a bit to reduce the amount of damage the tank is taking. A swash preferably and if you want to get serious and form Roguetron you bring a brigand as well. It helps to be aware of when the knock back is going to hit so you can counter it with temps and such since your healer might be a ways away from the take temporarily.

Depending on how you do group placement, whether its everyone stacked on tank (this reduces overall dps a lot) but makes the curse nothing to worry about. Or - Group (aside from tank) stacks behind the name just far enough to get back attacks off but keeping in range of the tank. If the tank gets the curse it helps for the tank to have a /g I HAVE CURSE macro and a /tag shield or whatever on the tank so the other cursed player can easily run to the tank with the black screen from curse.

Coordination between the tank and healer for death saves and temps helps a lot as well.
  13. Buffrat Well-Known Member

Stacking on the tank is exactly what you don't want to do with 2 predators. Get better at clearing the black without sight using just player names or designate the tank as the meet point or something but ruining both of your predators dps to no back attacks and frontal avoidance checks is definitely going to run you out of time.

If you're dying before 3 minutes you can rotate your saves better. If the mob isn't dead in 3 minutes your group could do more dps.
  14. Wulwyrlyn Active Member

Tell the coercer (duh right?) and fury (yes really) to charm something before the fight next time. You'll kill it much, much, faster. Lazy druid can charm the wanderer right before the Scorcher's platform so you don't even need to go far. =p He wanders the causeway. I'm assuming that's why SOE put him there. This zone is tailor made for coercers and druids.
    Ranga likes this.
  15. Sylke Well-Known Member

Honestly, we typically would charm things, we were just dog tired from raiding earlier and running instances before so just wanted to get done and didn't think of it :p
  16. Ucala Well-Known Member

I've run it with both 2 healers and 1 healer. it all depends.
    but as far as healers themselves go, If you go with 1. warden is def the best choice

was the coercer asleep or something?
  17. Sylke Well-Known Member

LOL, we all were :p
  18. Plinc Active Member

there's no reason for the Coercer and the Fury to not all out DPS that fight, the only one that may have an excuse is the Ranger on evil flame placement.
    we don't bother charming in Vulak's because the pets in there are not spectacular, but they do add 250k dps each if you need them.
    cycling tools is what this fight is all about and if your support did not skill those tools, they leave the tank hanging dry. and this includes the fury (really, they do have them too..)

we did this fight with 2 different warden, a templer, a mystic all as solo healers and we are getting to the point that our regular warden wants to switch to his fury alt just because he is getting bored. and no we are not decked out in raid gear, most is 3/3 potent..
  19. Ranga Active Member

That might be true for you but it's certainly not for me. Felguard FTW :) every time.
  20. Regolas Well-Known Member

Fantastic idea. I had forgotten my dirge had left side prestige! I tried this guy last night and we failed 4 times before tank had to log, but I didn't even think about helping him with LHS prestige.

And my group was doing it with just a warden. Guard, warden, coerc, illy, sin, dirge (me). Was close just ran out of time.