Open Source Layout Editor

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Sennen, Mar 18, 2016.

1. JesDyr Well-Known Member

Just a quick look at your code .. I think what I was going in 1.7.x would work for you. I'll PM you later with some code.
  2. Sennen Well-Known Member

I want to test something of my thought process. I haven't published a new version yet, but have published the code...

I'm a huge data nerd (who would have thunk?) and have put together something similar to how Toad Data Point does differential compares. As a data nerd, this makes sense to me, but my thought process is different than most people.

So for you as the end user, does this make sense or is it confusing?

[IMG]

And the final file has all changes in groups to make them easy to identify
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Merriel like this.
  3. suka Well-Known Member

we are having a problem with newly made dungeons- especially the Chardok one - haven't tested the others but someone else may have. The dungeons save in the game. you can open notepad and find everything in them. but in both the Layout editor and the open source layout editor, when you open them, the files are empty. it won't show anything. we put in a bug report on this because we think there is a problem with the saves in the game. https://dgcissuetracker.com/browse/EQII-656

we wanted you to know about this in case someone asks you. since the editors both read older dungeons just fine, we really think it is a problem with newly created dungeons

also votes on the issue would be appreciated since people are using the dungeons for part of the NOTD contest
  4. JesDyr Well-Known Member

email me a layout and I will take a look
  5. suka Well-Known Member

6. Sinhika Well-Known Member

@Sennen:

English usage nitpick: I think "Reference File" might be better than "Comparison File", since a comparison is the abstract act of comparing things, and I find using the world "comparisons" to refer to both the act of comparing and the comparison results a tiny bit confusing.

Also, what did they do to the post editor lately? It opens huge edit windows when you start typing, and otherwise behaves weirdly.
  7. Sennen Well-Known Member

A fantastic observation. However, in the sake of simplicity of understanding, I think it would make more sense if I changed the wording.
    From "Source" and "Comparison"
    to "Original" and "New"
  8. Sennen Well-Known Member

Diff tool has been added!

[IMG]

In the game, Save your layout. We'll call this one "Original" going forward.
    Make a few changes, save the layout as something else. We'll call this one "New"

How to use: Go to the file menu and click Differential Tool
    If you already have a layout loaded, it will use this as the "Original File" If this is not the file you want as your original, click the three dots to the right of the file name. You want this to be your "Original" file.
    Click the three dots next to the new file and pick the "New" file

Once both files are loaded, the compare will happen automatically, but not save anything just yet. You now have some options before saving the new layout file.
    You can
    • Keep all items that changed [Item Count]
      • All items that changed will be in the new file created.
      • If you have "Keep all items from the new file" checked, they will already be there.
      • The items will be added to the group "Changed (Date/Timestamp)"
    • Keep items that are in the original but not the new file [Item Count]
      • Just as it sounds, if the item is in the original but not the new file, Include it.
      • If you have "Keep all items from the new file" checked, they will already be there.
      • The items will be added to the group "Not in New (Date/Timestamp)"
    • Keep items that are in the new file but not the original. [Item Count]
      • Just as it sounds, if the item is in the new but not the original file, Include it.
      • If you have "Keep all items from the original file" checked, they will already be there.
      • The items will be added to the group "Not in Original (Date/Timestamp)"
    If both of these items are checked, the files will be merged with bias towards the "New" file. If you only want to edit the new/changed items, uncheck both of these options.
    • Keep all items from the original file
      • This will have all items from the original file in the output
      • If "Keep all items from the new file" is checked and the file exists in both files, the settings from the new file will be used.
    • Keep all items from the new file
      • This will have all items from the new file in the output
    As usual, download can be found here.https://github.com/JitteSochin/EQ2LayoutEditor/releases
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and suka like this.
  9. Merriel Well-Known Member

Ok, my mind isn't wrapping around this very well, so let me ask...if all I have checked is 'Keep all items that changed' and none of the other boxes are checked, it's only going to show me the difference between the two files...the New, correct? After I've made my changes, however, and I save, will it save New to the Original file, just adding these changes to that Original file? Or is it going to overwrite the Original file and only save those items that are there from New?

Also, maybe instead of being called New, it could be called Diff for difference, since that's what it really is...the difference between the Original and the New. (Just a technicality, not really that important what it's called.) :D
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  10. Sennen Well-Known Member

If you have only checked Keep all items that changed the only thing that will show up is any items that are in both files and moved. If you're adding items, you want to also have Keep items that are in the new file but not the original. checked.

I left out a step in the instructions, it seems.

When you have all of your options set, hit "Save and Close". This will open up a save as dialog for you to save the file as whatever you want.
    JesDyr suggested I call them "With" and "Without" due to that being what Jazabelle used in her tutorials, but I wasn't sure which one was which. Plus that would make the wording a whole lot different and confusing. The missing instruction of "This creates a whole new layout file" should clear things up, though.
  11. Merriel Well-Known Member

Well, in Jazabelle's instructions...the With file is the Original file, and the Without is the New file. JesDyr's layout editor will compare Original (With) to New (Without) and create a new group in the Original with the difference between the two files. Thus keeping the Original file intact, while adding the new items to the Original but also grouping them to make those particular items easier to work with.

It's not that we want a New layout...we want the Original layout but we want to group the new items separately, adding them to the Original layout. The New (Without) layout simply allows us to group those items separately within the Original (With) layout, easily, simply by pointing out the difference of the two layouts...hence the names With and Without.

Edit: Maybe this will help you better understand. The items we want to be grouped separately may already be part of the Original (With) layout. They don't necessarily have to be new items we are adding to the layout. We want to work with a group of these items, but because we already have a dozen or more of these items utilized somewhere in the layout and we don't want to touch those other duplicate items, we want to group these items together so we know which items we are working with.

We can scroll through the entire list of these items and try to figure out which of these particular items we want to work with...or we can make it a whole lot easier by using the Diff tool. So what we do, is we save the layout Original (With) these items in the house already, then we pack the dozen items we want to actually work with into the moving crate, then save a new layout called New (Without), hit the Diff button, and instantly, within our Original (With) layout, we will have a new 'Group' of the items we packed in the moving crate. We now know which specific items we want to work with, without having to search for those items through our vast list of items already existing and placed in our Original layout. We are not loading our New (Without) layout at all...all we are doing with that layout is differentiating the items between the two saved layouts.
  12. Sennen Well-Known Member

That makes more sense. For this to happen, you would open the original and new, keep all items in the original layout and keep items that changed. That will create the group. Save it as the original and the original (with) file will have the items grouped and in their new settings.
  13. Merriel Well-Known Member

Yes, this exactly. :)
  14. iisbliss Active Member

I think we should call them SenLo and JesLo = )

I was getting pretty confident with JesLo, and giving SenLo a try on my next project : )
  15. JesDyr Well-Known Member

This is what I do and what I was originally describing. It was not something I did without reason. The DatabaseIDs or UIDs as I call them, are extremely useful. Since their addition I have attempted to get people to always work with complete layout files. The only time I suggest creating a partial file is on a temporary basis to speed up the loading of the layout by the server.

I highly suggest not creating new partial layout files since it will cause problems if someone then wants to use a feature that would "Add" lines to the layout (which should always try to pull an item from the crate). Sure you can just give the new item a fake databaseID, but then it can cause the server to steal already placed items from else where in the house (which is one reason the id was added to the layouts to begin with).

With that said .. after I moved to creating groups, I still had requests to bring back my original method which created a new layout with just the difference items (New from Diff) :p

thanks :) .. I suggested this type of feature be added because I know it is a feature many people would want.
  16. Merriel Well-Known Member

No problem at all. I realized as I read (his/her) posts that Sennen did not seem to understand quite how Diff works in your editor, so I just wanted to explain it so they would understand, as it would be helpful to all of us if it were implemented in such a way as to work the way yours does. I imagine, if others are wanting it the way Sennen programmed it to work, that having it work both ways with the different check boxes checked, could be useful as well. :)

Hehe, very cute, Iisbliss. :D
  17. Sennen Well-Known Member

Awesome, the more people that use this one, the more feature/change requests that come in and the better it gets. Thus far, Jes has been very supportive and helpful which I am thankful for.

I tried to code it to be as useful as possible to all scenarios. It may be a little more confusing at first, but second nature after a few uses.

And although all of my toons are fae female, I am male.
  18. Sennen Well-Known Member

I'm building out the wiki which should be able to explain the features and how they work. It seems my tolerance for Photobucket's crappy slowness is about 4 pages. So the general page, Differential tool, Circle / Spiral tool, and Tiling tool are created.

When my patience regenerates, I'll build out the rest of the pages.
    https://github.com/JitteSochin/EQ2LayoutEditor/wiki
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone, suka and Merriel like this.
  19. suka Well-Known Member

there are some other sites besides photobucket for people who have problems with it. using the thumbnails can also help load the site faster and you can get your direct link by right-clicking the photo and choosing.

some people swear by imgur, but i found it less than satisfactory- same with flickr, drop-box, and a few others.

however- here are a few sites you can check out:

http://screenshot.net/free-image-uploader

https://postimage.org/

http://imgur.com/

http://screenshot.net/sites-like-photobucket.html
  20. Sennen Well-Known Member