Open Source Layout Editor

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Sennen, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Forum software sometimes goes on vacation and takes our text with it, without letting us know.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

When I see it doing that (yep, it's plagued me, too ;->), I'll go back in and edit my post and track down all the "left hand square bracket quote right hand square bracket TEXT HERE left hand square bracket /quote right hand square bracket" stuff. I won't actually do it, since a) the post will get confused, and b) the codes wouldn't be visible anyway. The left hand bracket is this: [ and the right is this: ] When dealing with codes, the code word inside the brackets without the /slash starts it off, and the /whatever inside the brackets always means the end of whatever text you're quoting from (or doing whatever else to), and they have to be in pairs (when it's messed me around, one of the pair is missing somewhere, I've found). I've now tapped about the limit of my programming knowledge, at least for HTML. ;->

Uwk
    who does worry, on occasion, that the penchant for various symbols (parentheses, nested brackets, angled "smilies," etc.) will get problematic someday :-/
    Breanna and Cyrrena like this.
  3. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Ah, well... I seem to have misunderstood something.

Lets see if I can explain this.

Isle of refuge I have been trying to make a smooth set of metal plates act like stairs up onto the ridge. I was able to sort of do it with the in game designer but not all of each metal plate is a smooth transition. Mostly I have to scramble around to find where I can move up. I wont try to build stairs until I get substationally better at using this.

I decided to see if I could move them using the layout editor.

1) Here are my steps: I had saved a layout of the Isle of Refuge a day or so ago.

2) loaded the file into one of the editors. I have 4 of the Narrow Divider of Sun Scale in that zone/prestige house. Only 4 show up in the text file, I clicked on name in the top bar and they all alphabetized.

3) I saw in the file that two had close to the same X coordinate. Y and Z were almost the same. Mostly. The other two are in a close area but their coordinates are not close.

4) In the editor I changed one of the close ones from -136.10 to 200.000 for the Z. Saved.

5) Moved my character into the zone/prestige house. Loaded the layout file.

6) went to where the Narrow Divider of Sun Scale are located. Two in each location.

7) none of the 4 had moved in game.

I tried moving it by the in game editor, substantionaly, then saved the layout. The tope one of the two is now in the hill/ridge, doesn't touch the other one. This is in back, near the lgihthouse.

So, to put it back where it was, I loaded the layout file. No change. Its still embedded in the hill/ridge.

No, I haven't read the documentation yet. Likely there was something I didn't think of, and once you all point it out, or I figure it out, I'll go 'silly me' and it will be fixed.

I looked at the same file in EditPadLite, and only 3 of them show up. So I guess the one in the hill/ridge isn't seen by the layout save.

I did make sure all files were saved to, and loaded from, the 'saved_house_layouts' folder.

See you all on Thursday.
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ah! Sometimes, if the game itself doesn't like where you're trying to put something (for instance, I'd've gone from -136.10 to -200...or maybe not, considering that would put it even deeper...moving it that much, from -136.10 to +200, should've shot the divider way up into the sky, depending on how deep it was originally), it simply balks and refuses to do it. "Nope! That does not compute. Not gonna do it, nope, nope, nope." "Don't give me that, you little --" We have quite a few round and round "discussions"...if trying to send it up to 200 would've made it go beyond the "flight ceiling" level (whatever height that is), that's probably why it didn't move. :-/

As others have often said, "Humanity is the measure." If you're wondering about a coordinate, the easiest way I've found to avoid tearing any more of my hair out is to look at my own coordinates; if you were standing on top of a hill, or on top of the lighthouse, or wherever, check your vertical coordinate. If it's like at 50.000etc., try to bring the divider to that height (not necessarily right at your exact location, though; it's embarrassing getting trapped in your own item, trust me :oops:), and the other two coordinates close enough so you can see where it wound up. :-/

As to your ultimate arrangement of the four, are you trying to make a big ramp out of them, by like tilting them in such a way and adjusting the heights? That can be done, but oy, is it a pain. One thing to keep in mind with any house item is the Attachment Point, or Anchor Point, where the thing "sticks" to the Floor or Wall or Ceiling (ugh, Ceiling items...the most persnickety of them all. Love Floor items; they'll do just about anything for you :D), and where you can see it swivel about. For example, a Divider's anchor point is the center of the bottom rectangle (for a Block, it's the center of the bottom square...you get the idea); that's the point it'll swivel around. For a Tile, it's the bottom side (vs. the top side). If you're having issues with things disappearing, it could be that the anchor point is set too low, and your house and/or grounds is eating it. :-/ When in doubt, flip said problem child item like 180.00 or -180.00 degrees, so that the point is more accessible (really useful with Tiles sometimes). For something like a Wall item, the anchor point is often at like the top center, where a wall hook might be for a painting in RL, but more along the top edge. If memory serves, the anchor point for a Vampiric Mirror of either sort is the bottom center...or maybe the top center. Check out that Rotate command in the in-game Decorator Mode, and you'll get a good idea of where the anchor point is for each item, once you've placed it (at least temporarily). :)

As for the one inside the hill, when in doubt, go into either Sennen's or JesDyr's (or find its line in Notepad and change "false" to "true" which puts it in the Moving Crate; I trust Notepad, I don't trust Wordpad or any other "bare bones word processor" because they're not nearly so bare bones in reality; still too many background codes) and check the box that indicates something's now in the Moving Crate. Then do what I do: go over to the Crate, open it up, take out the bad boy, shake it around a bit, and give it a good stern talking to about where it's supposed to be and how it's supposed to behave (yep, I've had to do this way more than once. It's nearly a science now :-/).

Good luck! Let us know how it worked (or didn't)! :)

Uwk
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  5. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I understand Anchor Point because I use Campaign Cartographer 3+ to make maps.

I'll give it another go.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Cyrrena like this.
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ah, brilliant! :)

Not everyone does, though; they taught us in Technical Writing 1A not to presume prior knowledge on the audience's part. :)

Uwk
    who's of two minds about not going for a career there; it would've been cool, but shortly after taking that class, just about every CEO in the U.S. decided they didn't need no stoopid writin' freeloaders on staff and "encouraged them all to take an early retirement" ("But what about technical manuals?" "Let the Chinese write 'em; that's what Bing's for.") :-/
    Breanna, Cyrrena and Geroblue like this.
  7. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Yeah, one place I worked the boss suggested we read the manuals before installing hardware on computers... One of my coworkers asked him for a 'clarification' of a paragraph in the manual.

The boss looked over the paragraph, looked at our expectant faces, threw the manual on the table, left the room and didn't much bother us after that. I'm not sure what it was, basically a series of English words that had been tossed together like a tossed salad.

I have read manuals written much better by the same company, so maybe someone was just having an off day.
    Cyrrena and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  8. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I used to write the ISO9002 specifications for Instructional Software for MS, Java, Oracle, and a ton of other name brand companies and I had absolutely no training whatsoever. I would say, I am an Astrophysicist, Nallo, not a technical writer!!!!
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

LOL! I always like the Dr. McCoy-type line: "Dammit, Jim, I'm a [your profession here], not a [whatever it is they're trying to make you do this time]!" ;->

Uwk
    Geroblue, Breanna and Cyrrena like this.