Open Source Layout Editor

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Sennen, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Sennen Well-Known Member

Thanks for responding, Uwkete... I kinda stopped playing EQ2 so don't watch the forums as much
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Aw, no! What happened? Real life rearing its ugly head, or getting disillusioned with the game? :(

Uwk
    who has gotten burnt out before and gone on hiatus...
  3. Sennen Well-Known Member

I'm on AB, where everyone left. The population is so low that I can barely get a group on Healer, Tank or DPS. Tired of soloing and don't want to pay for server transfers. So I added to the "gone" collective and started playing a more active game.
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Aw, you shoulda said; we still have a very active guild there on AB (Restoration)...mostly decorator-filled, but I think folks there would group to raid if plunderable House Items would be involved. :D

Uwk
    Febrith likes this.
  5. Sennen Well-Known Member

I'm good. Already given it up. Of course, that just means that 3 pieces of my gear no longer work for me, lol
  6. DaimonosLucifer Active Member

Would it be easier with this or another layout editor to help deal with the 'universal axis' thats in house decorating.

For the life of me i cant seem to work out how to compensate pitch and rotate on a rolled house item.
  7. Sennen Well-Known Member

What exactly are you trying to do?
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

What I'll usually do is use the in-game Decorator Mode first to wrangle it about, big angle movement-wise, then go into an editor for fine-tuning. Sennen's program is good at equating the Pitch, Roll, Rotate, etc. with the terms from the in-game editing. :)

One thing to remember: Pitch is always bad. If you find yourself using it, try anything else first. Rotate something 90 degrees, then Roll it; anything to not to have to use Pitch, if you can possibly help it. :-/

If you have to use Pitch, I used to recommend using a figure like 179.99999999 degrees instead of 180.00, or 90.00000001 instead of 90.00, but I find that the blasted Pitched things still "dance," even then. I'm beginning to think that 179.50/90.50 or even 179.00/91.00 would be better; it's very unlikely that a human eye will notice the difference in one degree. ;->

Uwk
    Feldon likes this.
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Sennen, I hope to the gods you're still around in some form, or at least someone who can translate this, because I'm tearing my hair out right now... X-P

I'm trying to move a whole passel of items from a ground floor room in a 6-room Gorowyn to the docks down below in the breakout area, all at once. But every time I try to open the file, I get the following error:

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, [one of 3 buttons: Details, Continue, Quit] the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. [it doesn't] If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. [that, it does; no problem there ;->]

Value was either too large or too small for an Int64.

And then the following in Details:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.OverflowException: Value was either too large or too small for an Int64.
    at System.Number.ParseInt64(String value, NumberStyles options, NumberFormatInfo numfmt)
    at LayoutEdit.LayoutFile.LoadFile(String FileName, Boolean GroupOnly, Boolean ClearCurrentGroups, Boolean ClearCurrentItems, Boolean NotesImport)
    at LayoutEdit.LayoutFile.set_FileName(String value)
    at LayoutEdit.Form1.btnLoad_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1098.0 built by: NETFXREL4STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    LayoutEdit
    Assembly Version: 2016.8.16.0
    Win32 Version: 2016.08.16.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/EverQ2/LayoutEdit.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Data
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
    System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
    System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    System.Numerics
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll
    System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1098.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization/v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization.dll
    System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I've used your program before, so I know it works; this is weird. :(

Uwk
  10. Sennen Well-Known Member

Check your PMs, Uwk
  11. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Heh! Done and did...don't ask me what happened, but the minute I went to follow your PMed instructions, I opened your LE one more time to open the problem child file and check on the official name of the official error, and everything came up roses and puddle ducks...the car's working again, 'cause I told the mechanic the car was making a funny noise. X-P

But just in case... ;->

Uwk
    Geroblue and Naramsin like this.
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

EDIT: Ah, okay. It didn't work at all, got the "Unhandled exception" error again, once I tried to open the file when I got in game. I suppose I could save the file, then log out and edit it and save it, then get into game again and see if that worked, but I've never had to do that with your program, so I can only assume it doesn't like playing nice when everyone's staring at it. Stage fright? :-/

It's also not a home I own, I'm just decorating it for someone else. Would that make a difference? :-/

Uwk
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Never mind! Getting the latest/greatest version seems to have corrected whatever the issue was. Thanks! :)

Uwk
  14. Sennen Well-Known Member

Glad the version update worked for you. As I said; If you run into any issues, just send me the offending file and I'll try to resolve it.
  15. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Thanks for this. The coarse controls under the in game designer have not been treating me well.

Downloaded the layout editor, I'll try it this week.
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Should you run across just learning curve difficulties (vs. things only Sennen can adjust), ask me how! :D

I've been using it for quite some time now, and really like it. :)

The one thing I wish could happen, and I'm not sure how but it's there in JesDyr's, is the width of the columns (maybe JesDyr's adjusts automatically?). When I go into a layout file, since it looks very much like a spreadsheet program, I try to minimize the various columns as much as possible: the first one, with the arrow, I reduce until you can just barely have the arrow come up; the check box for "in the Moving Crate" likewise, and what I've been doing recently is gauging how wide I need each of the number columns to just fully display all negatives, digits in the hundreds, and all those eight numbers after the decimal. ;->

Then I max the item name column as much as I can, so I can figure out which, say, Stone of Adoration building block I'm looking at, for instance. ;->

My favorite thing about Sennen's, ever, is that with JesDyr's I always feel I have to close a layout file if I make any changes in the house, then re-open it again. That's probably why everyone does WORKING, WITH, and WITHOUT versions of the files, since I've never seen any real logical reason for all those separate versions otherwise. With Sennen's, I can have his layout editor open with my file, do something to the items in the house (like place a new Tile and try to make it vertical, somehow), /save_layout there, and come back to the layout file; Sennen's will merrily chirp along the lines of "I noticed you've mucked about with the file; would you like me to update meself? Won't be a tick" or something to that effect. To which I respond, "Why, yes, thanks; that'd be spiffo" and then I might make whatever changes I wanted in the file (like numerically making the new Tile behave itself), save that, go back to in-game and /load_layout, and ta-dah! Results! Nice, fast, immediate, no middle men. :)

Apparently there are drawbacks to this, as mentioned by real computer programmers (as opposed to just enthusiastic amateur users [/raising_paw] ;->), in that every time I do this, things tend to get "fuzzy." Like a number I'd seen as 3.40000000 and been happy with is now suddenly 3.39983472 or something. But another sweet thing about Sennen's is that if I just fix it by typing in 3.4 again, it'll happily place all the trailing zeroes required (required = my OCD is happier), which JesDyr's won't do. ;->

If Sennen's did the secondary compass point movement (NE/SW/NW/SE), I'd be happy as a clam. :)

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  17. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

Just a potential FYI regarding something I stumbled upon in using this Editor; and as reminder, this editor oft times works better in certain cases than the other one, so having both available is a good thing; the detail I found with a weird "problem" was when I ctrlA (select all) rows, the very bottom row called * was highlighted, then had text in it, then received the JIT error.
    repeated this multiple times, making it a point to NOT have ANY text in the bottom row, the editor worked as expected :)
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Very true; it's good to have both of them, just in case, and they're both free, so the price is right. :D

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  19. elflover Well-Known Member

20. elflover Well-Known Member

/facepalm I dont know why what I typed got put in the quote as well ...my response is second paragraph and I dont know how to fix it.