Server move poll on Antonia Bayle

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Windstalker, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Halanna Active Member

I'm on Oasis exclusively and I don't find it to be a "desolate desert". Cute, but not entirely accurate. I couldn't even get to Skrit for the tradeskill daily the other day because so many players (and mounts) were blocking the NPC.

There are players always LFG or LF one more to fill a party. While I don't group or raid, I see chat and it's active and full of helpful players answering questions, talking etc.

AB players did this to themselves. Everytime someone posts on the forums 'any server suggestions?' everyone runs and posts AB! AB! AB! It's the only real and populated server in the whole game! Which is not true. Other servers have their populations and their good and bad points.

Open up transfers from AB to any other server. See what happens. I don't think many people are paying to leave AB so DBG isn't going to lose a bunch of money allowing one way free transfers off AB. But don't merge all the servers. And don't make just one mega PvE server. Geez, leave Oasis alone!
  2. Cindy New Member

I would move all my Characters to Oasis from AB, I have been trying to find the transfer token anyway, just to move to Oasis.
    I would want to move all my characters though not just one....
    Kurisutaru, Belenos and Halanna like this.
  3. Zannah Active Member

There are over 6500 spoken languages in the world. Do you think DBG should offer servers for each of these languages? The only language problem here is yours - learn to speak English! My native language is not English, yet I play on an English language server. I do not expect a special server catering to my language, and I don't see why the French and the Germans should get the special snowflake treatment. Learn basic English and join the thriving international community instead of just obtusely sitting there on your segregated, backwards servers moaning about lack of consideration and poor translations (while 6497 other languages get no translations whatsoever).
    Dequi likes this.
  4. Darwiin Active Member

Permafrost lost it top 3 or 4 Raiding Guilds last xpac due to them moving to AB. Once they were gone individual's started moving Characters to AB or Crushbone to be able to find high end raiding guilds.(had 6 friends move characters) Nobody is going to be moving from AB to Permafrost. This is a stupid plan, brought on by people who still to this day don't know what they are doing. Do you guys even play the game anymore or talk to people who have been playing the game since day one? Do you have a lottery box and pull a suggestion out of the box once every 6 month on what to try next?

Merge the damn server to 3 or 4 and combined all the current machines so there are plenty of instances available. That has been the request for the last 18 or more months. If you don't believe me why not make a Poll asking do people want Servers to merge down to a few? Are you afraid what they will tell you?
  5. Ratza Well-Known Member

^5
  6. Yoply New Member

Well, im with most here, I left Splitpaw because of shrinking populations and being unable to group at the times I play. Now I'm settled on AB. No move planned here thanks. Try merging the other servers and leave AB alone.
    Wirewhisker and Dequi like this.
  7. Halanna Active Member

In all fairness to DBG, this was a player suggestion that was posted on the forums some weeks ago. It apparently had enough merit that DBG thought it was worth officially seeing how the playerbase felt about the suggestion.
    Kurisutaru likes this.
  8. Belenos Well-Known Member

Now I quoted Windstalker here but this comment really is not directed to her. After nine pages, it seems what she really said is being lost, so I wanted accurate information close at hand. Nowhere in Windstalker's post do I see her claim to be trying to move people from AB in an effort to repopulate other servers. It is obvious to me, and I'm sure to her too, that moving players from one server to many others will not make all those servers high, or even medium, population. I do not believe the issue of low server population is even being addressed in her post at all; rather, it is addressing a server population that has become too high!

Like a few other people have mentioned, not everyone wants to play on a server where you are tripping over a player every three feet, and the idea of some mega-server makes no sense to me at all. I mean, the world is only so big, right? So having a mega-server with 4X the population of AB in the same amount of space just sounds like a trip through Hell to me.

This reminds me of an event from my childhood. My little brother was the exact same age as the neighbor's son, so the two Moms thought it would be a wonderful idea for them to become friends and hang out together (they were around 6-8 at the time). As it turned out, they despised each other, and they were not going to play together, no matter how many times the Moms forced them to be in the same physical space. Server merges will be no different. Some people seem determined never to ever look past population for the reason groups are not more plentiful. But there are reasons beyond population to explain why groups are not available at your beck and call. Some have been explained, and summarily ignored, in this thread already.

While it would be good to have a clarification from management, my reading of the above post seems clear--the population transfer is not intended to populate other servers, but to relieve overpopulation on one server.
    Kurisutaru, Finora, konofo and 2 others like this.
  9. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

Honestly, I don't know any one on Antonia Bayle that is complaining that the server population is to high. I think most people are happy to see other players running around and at least feel like the server has a pulse. Most of the players on AB spend their time in TS and PS, while older zones are pretty empty other than a few random players. I think their failure to merge servers lead desperate players on the ghost town servers to pay to transfer to AB instead of quit playing all together. Now every one is gravitating to AB and this is their attempt to keep to address that.
    Wirewhisker likes this.
  10. Lostmymind New Member

They could actually attempt to attract new players, or change the fumbling around in the dark approach SOE/DBG has long used to drive off long time players. At some point they need to realize beating their heads against the wall out of stubbornness is the wrong approach.
    Wirewhisker likes this.
  11. Laiina Well-Known Member

Enough with the server merge talk already. The devs have said several times recently that the current state of the database is simply not up to handling a complete merger. Yet people seem to ignore that and insist that the ONLY possible solution is to merge servers - they cannot seem to think outside the box and are fixated on one and only one possible solution.

Personally I happen to *like* being on Oasis - a lower pop server and have zero desire to go to some crowded server like AB.

The most often cited reason is the inability to get groups - but unless you are level 100, from most of what I hear there is the same problem on AB. There simply are very few groups forming up in the 10-99 range, anywhere. SOE long ago made it far too easy to solo your way to max level - with both good and bad results.
    Kurisutaru, Halanna and Belenos like this.
  12. Breta Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure most people complaining here about not getting group, mean the 100 lvl one.
  13. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

Maybe they could find a way to lock AB temporarily so that when a person new to the game makes a character they have to choose one of the other servers. If the populations pick up on the other servers, then they can unlock AB. With the cross-server dungeon ability, people that want to play with friends on AB can do it that way in the short-term. As someone else said, they could also offer free server transfers to players on servers other than AB that would let them transfer to any server of their choice except AB. I just know that the majority of players aren't going to willingly leave AB, especially if they can't take their guild with them.
  14. Dequi Active Member

This is great way to put people off from playing Everquest2 so the odds are SOE/DBG will be implementing it very shortly.
    Wirewhisker, Darkfoz and Breta like this.
  15. Breta Well-Known Member

what a horrible idea to force new players start on desolated servers. Most new players would get the impression that eq2 is dead and not worth their time, while it isn't.
    Wirewhisker and Dequi like this.
  16. Belenos Well-Known Member

I know for a fact that other games have locked new character creation on servers before, and one (ArcheAge) not only did this, but even went so far as to lock certain races and/or factions on certain servers so as to balance population. It can be done.
    Mizgamer62, Laiina and Moonpanther like this.
  17. Dequi Active Member

The best alternative idea to a mega-server is to make a brand new server and offer free character transfer tokens to every player - only to the new server. This way everyone on low populated servers and AB can have the option of transfering to the new server which should hopefully be just as if not more populated than AB after the window closes.

They can then shut down the old server when they can be bothered to get round to it.
  18. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

Also, I might add that what one person feels is dead, another person thinks it's just fine. Not everyone has the same opinion here. :D
    Kurisutaru, Halanna and Belenos like this.
  19. Belenos Well-Known Member

Where are these "desolated" servers? Granted, I only play on Guk, but I do play odd hours--sometimes till 4 a.m. central, and I never really go anywhere much that I do not see a few people. Prime time, there are many people around, and general chat never stands still.
    Kurisutaru and Moonpanther like this.
  20. Belenos Well-Known Member

And what of those who chose not to transfer? Just shut the server down on them? It is not an option if there is no choice.
    Moonpanther likes this.