Blue token system flawed (IMO)

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Pipsissiwa, May 3, 2013.

1. Mindsway Well-Known Member

Personal problem.
  2. Taysa Well-Known Member

Maybe if their beta client actually worked, more people would've tested it. I kept crashing on beta, to the point it wasn't worth running anymore. That and the fact it deleted my entire PAKs folder for my regular client was more than enough for me to say "I'm not running this garbage."

This whole token system is a mess. I hate it.
  3. Tkia Well-Known Member

No, it's not. Very many crafters are low level adventurers which makes it a bad game design problem.
  4. Tkia Well-Known Member

Or if their beta client wasn't setup in such a way that it requires another 15GB of disk space to use.
    Taysa likes this.
  5. Mindsway Well-Known Member

Yes it is. All I did was offer an alternative, not my problem if it's of no value to you. It'll help someone.
  6. Taysa Well-Known Member

There have been lots of quests and faction grinds that take you through aggro areas. Low level crafters going through aggro areas is nothing new.

If you're a low level adventurer, with a high level crafter, you should have a flying mount, and the aerial aggro is easy enough to avoid. Honestly, things were a lot harder without flying mounts. I don't understand what the issue is.
  7. Mindsway Well-Known Member

BTW Tkia I agree with you that the system is flawed, even if I'm benefiting from it. I have 9 level 95 crafters between 2 accounts. I already have over 100 blue coins in each account, and that's with only having done the crafting quest line on 4 of my toons. When I do the rest I should have over 200 each account by then. It'll slow down after that I'm sure.

The fact is that this game will benefit those of us with no lives whatsoever more than it will those who can't play as often. That's the way it's always been. But like I said I agree, for the more casual crafter it'll take them forever to gain a significant amount of blue coins, and they need more options to help them out. Maybe a daily crafting quest like the old Marr quests, and it rewards 10 coins or something. Until they do then it's best to get them however you can, sorry if those options are limited for ya.
  8. Pipsissiwa Well-Known Member

Aye. 37 tokens being awarded for the questlne (a strange number....) and then only 1 a day after that (alts aside - if SOE have designed this on the assumption of multiple alts then that is very poor design) is ridiculous given the amounts required. As I have said, I can see it for the components but not the fluff furniture recipes. Making the daily award more tokens, or adding in a daily craft quest would make it easier.

But.....

That said, it is still fundamentally unfair given the differences in token-bought stuff available to carpenters/non-carpenters. Increasing the token reward(s) or adding another quest would cheapen the game value of the gear component recipes, which are meant to be something to work for.

So....

Make the 'normal' furniture recipes quest rewarded, or since they are quest unlocked just let us buy them with normal currency. Leave the blue tokens for the gear components. Adding some 'normal' recipes for non-carpenters would be ideal, so they have something to unlock too.

I can't see any other way to make it completely fair for all. but since when have SOE ever cared about that.
    Taysa likes this.
  9. Deveryn Well-Known Member

They actually do care. If you take the time to listen to anything they have to say in interviews and such, you might catch that. It wasn't always the case where they really listened to the players, but these folks do care. GU66 is proof of that, as they made a great deal of changes to adventurer classes after having run feedback posts on the forums. They've even been listening to the crafters and decorators, but some people are too blinded by their own rage over a little 2 minute daily. More has been done for crafting in the past year than all the work done in the years prior... but SOE doesn't care and wants to kick your dog as you sit there helpless. :p

It takes me about a half hour in the morning to go through my 9 crafters, then I go about my life. :p I don't know where you get this idea that you need to have no life to accomplish anything in crafting. What's the total time now? 4 hours to go from 1-95? You don't know how good you have it. You should try crafting in EQ1. :p

Sorry to hear you had trouble with the client. You could still participate in the conversation on the beta forums.

There's really no other way to do it. Frankly, that shouldn't be an issue these days. Storage is pretty cheap. I saw 1tb drives as low as 60$ at newegg.
  10. Taysa Well-Known Member

I did on the two things I actually got to test before crashing: The plat nerf and the handful (like 4) quests I got to do.

Hard to participate in a conversation when you can't test something.
  11. Mindsway Well-Known Member

It would have been nice if they had recipes for all classes, just ONE recipe each for 10 coins (as opposed for a ton of recipes at 10 coins apiece, for only one class). Very poorly thought-out.
    Mermut, Pipsissiwa and Taysa like this.
  12. Pipsissiwa Well-Known Member

Personally I have no problem with 'a little 2 minute daily' even tho it is impossible for me to log in every day. It is the imbalance between carpenters/non-carpenters as regards the need for these little blue tokens and recipe availability that I find unfair and irrational.

As a UK player who has seen just how much SOE cares about the players (NOT) during the year+ long fight over the PSS1 deal, I am sorry if I am skeptical as to their priorities and motives. The devs care, SOE doesn't.

Oh and I have crafted in EQ1.
    Mindsway likes this.
  13. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Again, I ask what they are supposed to put in there (aside from apprentice recipes everyone can make)? We have 5 more levels coming in this tier and they need to have something to put in there. Crafting isn't all about the crafters' needs and wants. It's also about the adventurers and the items they use. They will still make use of everything else the other crafters can make from 90-95. You're the one that's not thinking this out.
  14. Deveryn Well-Known Member

PSS1 is something totally separate from game design.

This imbalance your talking about is non-existant. I addressed it in my previous reply. You're also giving no indication of how to correct this so-called imbalance. What recipes are needed?

So, you've crafted in EQ1. So, you know that you actually have to pick up a sword and fight for your items and cash. Crafters in EQ2 have it so easy. I can't think of any other game that works this way.
  15. Tkia Well-Known Member

We're talking about an option that isn't even available to a low level crafter as it's level locked - solo instances.
  16. Pipsissiwa Well-Known Member

Well, the carpenter recipes are just regular recipes. And adventurers don't _need_ furniture - many like it tho. Put in some some appearance gear recipes, that sort of thing. There are possibilities for 'fluff' type recipes for all classes that would be as coveted as carpenters covet their furniture. As was pointed out earlier, tailors got granted 2 recipes retroactively (no blue token expenditure for them) so SOE obviously found some holes in what was already available.

It is unfair that only carpenters get the recipes to unlock and look forward to. It is also unfair that carpenters have significantly more to spend their tokens on and thus will mean that they will take a lot longer to get all that is available compared to non carpenters.

I made a clear suggestion on how to fix it in a previous post.

If the tokens were for adventure items, and there were the gear components for 100 tokens, and a full set of nice appearance gear for 10 tokens each piece, but only for (eg) assassins, all the other adventure classes would be upset and rightly so. And assassins, whilst grateful for being singled out for the appearance gear, would have the dilemma over whether to get the cool looking, but non-gameplay affecting stuff or save tokens for the gear - and I suspect they'd be upset that they had to make that choice when others didn't. Why is crafting different?

And yes, PSS1 is a different thing, but it didn't help me feel like the powers that be who say yay/nay to the devs worthy ideas and opinions, actually care.
  17. Taysa Well-Known Member

Crafters have been asking for good-looking appearance gear to craft that is on par with the art of SC bought items since the Marketplace was introduced.

Good looking, high quality appearance armor will help out tailors, and armorers. Bows will help out the woodworkers, other weapons will help out the weaponsmiths. Appearance jewelry will help out the Jewelers.

Sages? I don't know. Maybe some new books. Spell scroll/pieces of parchment/different books that can be written in by players.

Provisioners and alchemists I'm at a loss. Maybe housing items that make sense with their respective classes.
  18. Taysa Well-Known Member

I've never seen the blue coins from the solo instances. It must be a pretty pathetic drop rate.
  19. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Crafting is different because carpentry is different. It generally serves no viable purpose for adventurers, except for the odd time when we're handed a charm or something to make. It's the hobby craft.
  20. Pipsissiwa Well-Known Member

Yes it is, but that doesn't make the imbalance fair. In my example;, appearance gear serves no viable purpose for adventurers, but if it was offered only for one class then other players would be upset that it was unfair.

I guess we might have to agree to disagree on this one.