Wizard RoS DPS

Discussion in 'Casters' started by kizant, Jul 21, 2018.

1. kizant Augur

Thought I'd start a separate thread instead of using up space in the Wizard Wishes discussion. I picked the longest Cactiikii fight i could find in the past few months because there's also been some questions about our sustained DPS. So, this is just for something to compare to.

Bards may not add as much for wizards as other casters but they still add a good amount. The 3 epic clicks and 3 FEs are pretty significant. Especially if you consider that your crit rate for AA nukes and your sympathetic procs don't benefit from FD/AD. Quicktime is also really nice for spell casting after it was upgraded for RoS. Add Arcane Ballad and the fact that Aria actually does help with our beams since our Familiar's SPA 124 effect is limited to single target and the overall benefit is pretty decent. If other DPS classes are getting ideal ADPS support then I think it's only fair to compare with ours when we have druid/enc/bard.

Also, I should have had more alliance and dicho in this parse and I was being lazy with glyphs. Plus I don't melee that much on this event since it's easy to take too much damage and I didn't even have NET so it would have been extra dangerous. So, these numbers are a bit on the low end to what I typically do.

The only thing special I try to do on Cactiikii is I will use Vortex on spiteful, sprouting, or surreals that other people aren't attacking yet and focus my DPS on those. Generally, adds die pretty fast so I avoid pitifuls almost completely and once the MA's target is at 50% I switch to something else or I'm probably going to waste my time trying to cast on something that's dead before I've landed anything. I do AE some when it's relatively safe. Obviously, try to avoid accidentally killing burgeonings or hitting renegades.

Lastly, we burn from the start and I always start with spell twincast instead of ITC so that it refreshes sooner. It doesn't matter for a parse in this time frame but it does work out a lot where I'll get an extra twincast in since it can take a while to go through all of ITC. Oh and I only use wildether when twincasting and fury of the gods is up. I think that's been mentioned in other threads but that's really the only time it's worthwhile

Total
    /GU | #2 Kizant 212618k@416081sdps (428664 dps in 496s)

Just Adds
    /GU | #2 Kizant 103752k@213482sdps (221692 dps in 468s)

[IMG]
    Drogba, Sancus, Cadira and 1 other person like this.
  2. gotwar Gotcharms

Do "The Sathir Line"!

The parses are less flattering, but a better representation of actual sustained DPS. I think most folks consider anything under 500 seconds "burst" at this point.

I also want to echo your comment about Bards. Even though Wizards get the "least" benefit from them out of the 4 cloth casters, they still add a good amount through Aria, procs, and FE/Epic casts. Particularly in RoS, where casters are extremely competitive, I think it's tragic when a caster group isn't being given a Bard because "they're melee ADPS."

Guilds should be pushing to get an extra Bard or two to throw into their best caster groups!
    Drogba, code-zero and Sancus like this.
  3. kizant Augur

I don't know if I want to make people feel bad. :p
  4. Cadira Augur

That's pretty crazy, guess I need more practice. Granted I didn't have a bard or rk3 spells, thought I did fairly well.

What's the deal with Wildether btw, i know it's the last one that can be twincast but is the damage really good enough to warrant not casting an ethereal/cloudburst or w/e in it's place?
  5. Fintank Augur

My Sathir Line parse could beat up your Sathir Line parse! PLEASE MAKE ME FEEL BAD KIZANT, I NEED IT!
  6. kizant Augur

If you have fury of the gods, twincast, a good crit rate, and enough procs it'll be better than Skyfire. Which works out to like 20 to 40 seconds per event where it's useful. A couple expansions ago it was better than Cloudburst but it'll probably be useless in another 2 expansions at this rate. I still don't get why they changed it. It's one of the few things that has kept us competitive with other DPS class. One post about it a few years ago made it sound like someone was mad that it used more than 1 ITC counter which was a pretty dumb thing to complain about.

Also, do you have eye of decay from TBM? My Xegony wiz is still stuck at 7% but it would make a pretty significant difference if you didn't have one at all. I'd use parses from my FV wizard for a more ideal comparison but lag has been so bad on there lately that I haven't gotten a good one in a while.

The problem with Sathir's Line is most people think it's a long single target event for Wizards but I regularly cast beam 30+ times with a few splashes added in. If people aren't willing to melee and run from Drusella while blind then they're not going to get a good Wiz parse on it.
  7. Cadira Augur

nope, got a few TA's but never got any eye of decay. I heard your parser makes it look like it's about a 6% increase in dps iirc
  8. Fintank Augur

I just wanted to flex my ranger muscles if I'm being honest with myself #LemmeloveyouTuroq
    Turoq likes this.
  9. kizant Augur

Poor Turoq. He tries hard...

Find me a Form of the Recluse prize and then I'll post one. I still haven't maximized my melee procs. :(
    Turoq likes this.
  10. Cadira Augur

Hey Kizant, you got a list of all the melee procs or other procs off casts you use? I have two in my 2hder and one for the ranged, dragonmagic, but not sure of whatelse can help.

And when you say splash, you mean the level 100 splash of pyroloxene or w/e?
  11. kizant Augur

I mostly use Rod of Ri`zyr for the +200 proc mod when you melee. I'll list all the stuff I have and/or want to have if possible.

Sympathetic Spell Procs
    Runed Belt of Boromas
    Bone Shards of Frozen Marrow
    Cracked Shard of Frozen Light
    Sodkee's Sympathetic Stone (ranged)
    Dragonmagic Focus or Tonic of Resonant Fire (resists matter sometimes)

Melee Proc Clickies
    Mana Infusion (potion)
    Orb of the Sky or Grelleth's Royal Seal (note that Orb has +1 push)
    Crystal of Daylight (short duration but good for burn parse)
    Totem of the Leopard's Paw (short duration but good for burn parse)
    Form of the Recluse or Arachnophobia Nimbus

Melee Proc Buffs/Auras
    Night's Endless Terror (enchanter)
    Travenro's Song of Suffering (bard)
    Arcane Ballad (bard)
    Storm Blade (bard) (also there's an argument for this not being ideal for caster groups)
    Roar of the Lion (shaman) (you may have to bribe one to use it on your group)
    Cadira likes this.
  12. kizant Augur

Also, yes. I generally use that one since it's more forgiving in the range you have to be from the targets. However, if you have a good pile of mobs the level 95 version is actually better DPS. Just stand in the middle and target yourself basically.
    Cadira likes this.
  13. Szilent Augur

Ethereal Icefloe surprises me. When I looked, robe focus boosting Skyblaze made it higher damage. There's a Gift of Mana mismatch, but we generally have high enough volume in each level band that they won't go to waste.
  14. Sancus Augur

Cryomancy tho
  15. kizant Augur

I'm pretty sure it's only when comparing rk 2 Icefloe to rk 3 Skyblaze. Although, if you were to regularly have Sumac but not Frostbreath I'm sure Skyblaze is better. There's so many small things to pay attention to.
  16. Bigstomp Augur

Interesting thought. Assuming chanter+druid, are you better with chanter, druid, wizx4, or chanter, druid, bard, wizx3.

That's the question you have to decide before adding a bard to the caster groups.
  17. Ibudin Augur

Finally - a good thread of useful chat. Well done.
  18. kizant Augur

If you just count wizards then I imagine it's a small loss having the bard. If your enchanter is doing their job then it should be a decent gain or at least about even. What it really comes down to I think is whether your druid is serious about DPS or if you even have 3 wizards in the group in the first place. If one of them was mage or your druid is good at DPS then having the bard over a 4th wizard is no-brainer to me.
  19. kizant Augur

Oh and I wasn't even considering the Bard's DPS so that shifts things even further in favor of the bard. You'd have to have an all wiz group where the druid and bard do basically no DPS and a slacker enchanter for it to better to have a 4th wiz imo.
    gotwar likes this.
  20. gotwar Gotcharms

^This. Assuming everyone is equal skill, I think it's always going to be better to have the Bard.

Enchanters have no SPA 124 abilities, so they get the full benefit of Aria, all the time. Druids are in the same boat. Throw in 2/3rds uptime on FE/Epic crit rates boosts, along with all the other Bard-related bells and whistles, and I think you're coming out ahead in every situation.

If either your Enchanter or Druid are consistently slacking then, yeah, probably better to stuff a fourth DPS in, but then you wouldn't really be considering that your "best" caster group in the first place (I hope) :D
    kizant likes this.