Wizard RoS DPS

Discussion in 'Casters' started by kizant, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Waitwhat Elder

I loved that!! Cast the big one too early and the raidboss summoned you. Had to manage your aggro without an aggro meter. Less wearing out the keyboard and being able to concentrate on the raid itself and those tasks, not just my dps-mashing like we have now. I also loved nuking a BIG NUKE! Thats why I started a wizard! Today I weave all sorts of small nukeage like a Red Bull infused teenager. :(
  2. kizant Augur

Turn off spell casting subtlety and have fun.
    Axel likes this.
  3. MacCheese New Member

@Kizant Could you tell me in what situation you will use wildether barrage please? Cause I thought shocking vortex-->Claw-->Ethereal was the normal routine and burn just rotating between ethereal plus dichotomic plz? Thanks
  4. kizant Augur

If you have twincast spell, fury of the gods, and a lot of procs it can be worth it. Braid, cloudburst, and then wildether instead of something like Skyfire. It used to be a lot better a few expansions ago but now its limited to a handful of times a raid.

On single target: claw, braid, cloudburst, skyfire is a good general lineup. Dicho if you're not twincasting and/or don't need to conserve AD/FD. Vortex is good but on raids but try to plan when to use where you get the most out of it
  5. MacCheese New Member

Thanks for the input Kiz, but could you explain to me more plz that why using wildether barrage not the level106 wildflash strike? Since I thought they are the same line and the level 106 one is an upgrade?

And also I see you choose cloudburst over flashburn, i get it that cloudburst have higher base dmg than flashburn but flashburn did add a fire short duration buff to caster-self that could benefit more to dps no?

Thanks again! @Kizant
  6. Brohg Augur

Wildflash has Twincast Blockers on all its components, Wildether Barrage does not. During Twincast buff/proc, it functionally quadcasts.

Flashburn has 25% to add 4k to the base of the next Ethereal cast. Avg out, +1k per cast. Cloudburst plain has 3k higher base damage every cast. AND Cloudburst has 3s cooldown, not 8.25
  7. MacCheese New Member

Thx for the reply Brohg, and the cloudburst should be used when Spell twincast/Improved Twincast please?
    If yes then what exact order of cloudburst should be at?
    Like when ITC up, Braid--> Cloudburst--->Skyfire--Icefloe--Volley ?
  8. Brohg Augur

no, not during ITC

ITC : Braid, Skyfire, Skyblaze

Twincast : Claw, Braid, Wildether, Cloudburst
  9. MacCheese New Member

Wait, Claw when spell TC? Why not Braid Wildether Skyfire Cloudburst?
  10. Brohg Augur

To proc more TCs!
  11. kizant Augur

Someone remind me to add flashburn singe to the dps app one day because I forgot all about it. But it definitely wouldn't make up for the difference. Cloudburst for life.
  12. Beimeith Lord of the Game

That was only ever done by bad Wizards, and yes, I count myself among them back in those days.

Wizarding has always been about understanding which is the best spell to use in every situation, and there are very few people who ever knew how to do that correctly. What happens is someone puts in the time and effort to figure it out, and then posts a thread distilling it down to spell orders / burn orders which everyone else just follows. It's not *that* different from other classes, but being spell based vs weapons it's more complicated. Less complicated than Necros though. It's also a little less complicated now that most of our abilities stack so we no longer need to stagger them out as much.

It's a little different now since Kizant made his app public so people can more easily compare things and work them out, but realistically most people couldn't do it right without the app.

And the thing is, if you're just blindly copying spell and burn orders from a thread somewhere, you probably don't have the knowledge or skill to know when to deviate from them and adapt to changing fight conditions on the fly. That's the difference between a 100% player and an 85% player.
    Pirlo and kizant like this.
  13. Cadira Augur

Curious, why skyblaze instead of iceflow during itc?
  14. Cadira Augur

15. Brohg Augur

my understanding of the arithmetic indicates the +crit damage on RoS robes makes Iceflow and Skyblaze even in damage (tiny edge to Skyblaze), even-ish in mana (since Skyblaze won't make Gifts of Mana for Skyfire - though those Gifts still benefit its own recasts, plus Dichos and Alliances), with Skyblaze then gaining some advantage from more consistent application of Fire debuffs on big targets (Overwhelming Sunray)(thanks to necros who nag the druids), and more consistent application of Pyromancy when targets change quickly. It would be even better to get more consistent Cryomancies, but the frost spells themselves are weaker :/
    Cadira likes this.
  16. Cadira Augur

I always figured pyromancy was not a good idea on raids as it takes up a slot for a relatively weak dot, and it's one dot per wizard using pyro in the raid, yeah?

I wonder if ice flow mostly makes up for its lesser damage via cyro procs (especially with burns going) and don't think it takes up a slot unless the mob can be rooted (like no raid boss ever). Even using ice flow as my second I don't get a whole lot of casts on it anyways though, so who knows.
  17. kizant Augur

I like cryo procs but the difference is prob pretty small so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    Sancus likes this.
  18. Goodn Augur

In case anyone was curious about the mancy buffs...

If wizards are using the same rank of Pyromancy, then you will get multiple buffs. It gets weird when you have folks with different ranks casting on the same mob. If there is a lower rank on the mob and a higher rank triggers, it will overwrite a lower rank version. If a higher rank is on a mob, the lower ranks will land normally. [Note: since this is only a 30 sec buff, there's only so much testing I can do on this...I have gotten 3 pyros on a test dummy at once so at least know you can get that many.]

Cryomancy is two different buffs. The snare part (which I don't remember if it bounces off of snare immune mobs but pretty sure it does) and the cold resistant part. Higher versions of the snare will overwrite same and lower versions, while lower versions of the snare part will just bounce (you get a message). It looks like the cold debuff will just overwrite, regardless of which version is already on the mob and which version is trying to replace it.

The arcomancy buff will also stack on mobs and you can have multiple versions of the same level on the mob at once.

If you are using Kizant's web dps tool to figure out which mancy is better for a weave, the numbers (while small) are greatly influenced by your GCD figure if you are not going all fire/cold/magic with the corresponding mancy.
  19. Critts Augur

You rang?
  20. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Oh Critts, you'll be a big boy one of these days, don't worry. <3
    Critts likes this.