Windowed gameplay

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by uberkingkong, Jul 12, 2022.

1. Jedis Arch Mage

Yes, the resolution I run on my EQ computers is 1366x768. Every pixel helps when the screen is that small. I tried everything I could do to make EQ run in borderless windowed mode. There's tons of apps out there that claim to make it work. And it works to a certain extent, so long as you don't go back to the server select and back in. The window shrinks and any attempt to force it to refill the screen causes the mouse cursor to be misaligned. I opened a bug about EQ forcing the window size to be reverted to a smaller size every time it returns to the server select (https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...dow-keeps-overriding-my-window-height.284451/).

Would really love an official borderless window mode from the game since the option to use full screen exclusively was taken away. Heck, I'd even take a new INI setting to force it back to the old behavior. That way, no one stumbles upon it in the UI, the bug it was causing stays fixed for the effected folks, and the folks that would like to use full screen all the time can manually set it.
    Aenvar likes this.
  2. Svann2 The Magnificent

Still waiting on my consulting fee.
    And my dps check.
    Nennius likes this.
  3. Nennius Curmudgeon

I'm afraid they're caught in the lag forest. Patch to follow, and follow, and follow...
  4. Plumbus Lorekeeper

People play in full screen? What's next? You're gonna tell me people play in first person with sound on?
    Metanis likes this.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Why would I want to play in window mode?

Window mode is very dark and doesn't look as clear as full screen. Full screen also means I cannot accidently click out of the game.
    Aenvar likes this.
  6. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I vaguely recall EQ tending to crash more often in full screen mode when I ran it in the background to Planetside 2 or Fortnite on my old PC.

I am guessing full screen may be resource intensive on potatoes and they are getting automatic crash reports about full screen.
  7. daBlubb Elder

Windows 10 and 11 checks the resolution of every application when you swap from one window to next. If you mulibox or have other games, software, browsers open, after a while of switching around you maybe get a black screen. While there are no problems at all in Windows 7, in modern windows the windowed mode makes less problems.

So i can understand the decission and it guess it will be good for the majority.
    For me it sucks, cause of UI problems in windowed mode. I will use alt enter before logging in as long as it is possible.

Would be nice to have the option to decide, like all the years before. "We dont support full screen any longer, use at your own risk" and let us do fullscreen at start on/off in the .ini would be nice.
  8. Mesc No $$$ Until the Experience is put back on Mobs!!!

Every single day, Every time the Devs refuse to comment on any stupid decision they make, I take solace in knowing that refusing to pay for this game for close to the past 8 months was the correct thing to do.
  9. Juzam_Djinn Elder

I don't play any game in fullscreen mode, even if it lacks borderless windowed mode I will still play it in windowed mode. Although Borderless Gaming handles the games lacking borderless, EQ however crapped the bed when I tired it with it, so I just deal with the border.
  10. Schadenfreude Augur

You can edit values in the .ini file so that any taskbars and the like are pushed off the visible part of the screen without the need for any third party software.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They did comment on this in the test patch notes thread and said this change was made due to a serious bug related to full screen.
  12. Jedis Arch Mage

See my post above. This isn’t without issue and doesn’t work properly if you go back to the server select. There’s a bug with the client that adjusts the window to be smaller than it previously was when going back to the server select.

We need a supported method for borderless window that functions correctly 100% of the time.
  13. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I do that!

Immersion for the win! :)
  14. strongbus Augur

don't do sound but do do 1st person unless on raids that require me to be in 3rd person. I can't stand 3rd person. It crap for controlling and keeping my toon in range to dps.
  15. Svann2 The Magnificent

I play in 1st person and create all my triggers using the in game audio triggers. For timers I use a stopwatch my granpa gave me.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

And yet I've played in full screen for over twenty years and never had a problem.

This is new bug, they need to fix, or at least let us choose.
    Stymie and Aenvar like this.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why do you think that they didn't try to fix it? From what I understand the bug was preventing some players from being able to launch the game. Personally I don't think they just chose this as the easy way out.
  18. Burdi Augur

I always considered Full screen play as kind of cheating.
    This is a good initiative to enforce it is forbidden.
  19. Angahran Augur

You mean the people that still can't launch the game after this 'fix' ?
    And it seems like there are far more that cannot launch the game since this 'fix' was implemented than before.
  20. Angahran Augur

How on earth could full screen be considered cheating ?
    Stymie and Jumbur like this.