Windowed gameplay

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by uberkingkong, Jul 12, 2022.

1. Schadenfreude Augur

I have no idea what any of this means? I've had zero issues with multiple windows using edited .ini values for my specific 1080p monitor (other than the recently introduced gamma bug which I'm confident will be fixed in due time and can be reverted in fifteen seconds once your EQ session is finished.)

At no point once the game launches does this cause anything to change resolution.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Who can't launch the game after this fix? The only complaint that I have seen is switching back to full screen every time they launch the game.
  3. Angahran Augur

4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Svann2 likes this.
  5. Angahran Augur

Who knows ?
    They made this change and since the patch lots of people are reporting they can't get into the game.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why would an issue with the patcher have anything to do at all with the game launching in windowed mode. That was not the only change that happened in the patch.
  7. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

On a 4k monitor, there is no resolution that works in windowed mode. Your EQ window covers like 20% of your screen and you can't play, never mind read anything. Some of us don't just play EQ.
    Aenvar, Herf and Andarriel like this.
  8. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

9. Stymie Pendragon

You may not be aware of it, but for the first couple of years the game ran exclusively in full screen. The only way to get back to windows was to exit the game.
  10. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Wasn't one of the first '3rd party programs' one that put EQ into a window, allowing alt-tab boxing?
  11. Jumbur Improved Familiar

The most popular 3D accelerator back then(3dfx voodoo), only supported fullscreen gaming. 3D accelerators that were integrated with 2d graphic-cards supported acceleration in a window, but they were quite new at the time.

You could still alt-tab between 2 fullscreen games afaik, although I don't think boxing was that popular back then. I don't remember it as a big thing on my server, but maybe that was because I was on a pvp-server back then.
  12. Stymie Pendragon

The one I remember is WinEQ, and the earliest release date I can find is 2005. There may have been an earlier one, but I can't find anything online.

I had moved on by that point, but I remember using 2 computers to box my cleric and warrior from Kunark through PoP.
  13. Zanarnar Augur

They won't fix this; they don't care. Get use to (if you prefer full screen) to having to stop at char select and ALT-ENTER to get back to full screen.

If you want to play a game where the dev's seem to give 2 poops about their customers; look up No Mans Sky, just dropped their 20th free update and it (Gasp) yet again improved the game.

DPG? just keeps making things worse and removing features. FWIW this change was made ( they only said it on discord ) to try to fix the rare crash when your playing full screen and tab back to windows. Yup, that's why the DEV said they did this to us.

They just don't care.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They don't care because they made a fix in relation to a bug that prevented some players from playing the game at all?
    Kaenneth likes this.
  15. HighSpawnRate New Member

Their post is like many people, they only see or understand things from their perspective and can't understand that not everyone has their same situation. They even lie in their post, DPG has been adding a lot of quality of life improvements lately.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  16. Tappin Augur

The problem is, DPG doesn't seem to care at all, it seems like they been slowly but surely putting this game on life support...
  17. Arkanny Augur

Honestly, you guys are throwing a storm on a cup of water imo.
  18. Cidran Augur

I must play in lower resolution/full screen since it's the only way to make the interface/icons bigger. Also, I don't like windowed mode because it's too easy to tab out and get distracted.

Besides being an annoyance, it's way too easy to forget to alt+enter, or accidentally hit enter before alt, and a long list of common mistakes that will result in a broken ui.
  19. Tappin Augur

They should have provided higher resolutions more support, before transferring a set of bugs to them.
    Stymie likes this.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The bug was preventing players from being able to launch the game at all which means the couldn't wait to get that done.