Will I Be Able To Play The New Progression Server?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Ranghar, May 8, 2015.

1. Ranghar New Member

Without having to underclock my processor? Last time I tried to play EQ it was impossible to do so without underclocking my processor by 2ghz, which in turn caused a lot of issues when outside of EQ. Does EQ work with modern computers now? If I didn't underclock it enough it would run at 10x the speed, and if I underclocked it too much it would run .5x the speed.

I would love to return, but I don't want to have to change my bios everytime I want to play EQ.
  2. Riou EQResource

It should run the same as the regular game
  3. Ranghar New Member

Then the answer is a huge no....thanks for the response. I would love for them to actually make the game playable on modern processors.
  4. Bashiok Crownguard Augur

I'm able to play on an i-5 2500k without modifying anything, can anyone else chime in?
  5. Ranghar New Member

The problem comes from if you use a AMD processor that is overclocked at the factory. The ones that require water cooling. Like the amd fx-9590. If you overclock with any processor then Everquest runs at like 10x speed. The problem is some of the processors are innately overclocked now, so the only option is to underclock it. It is a problem that has happened to me ever since 4+ core AMD processors. My last processor was an AMD Phenom Black and I would have to launch the game multiple times until it stopped running at a faster speed. With my new processor the only way to get it to not do that is to lower the speed to 2.9ghz...which makes a ton of graphical errors in my OS.

I have been waiting for a fix for a long time because I have been playing Everquest since beta, but with new AMD processors you are unable to play it =(
  6. Riou EQResource

I don't think it's something that is easy for them to fix, it's probably on their list, but not any sort of priority.

With AMD's weak marketshare, plus it seems like their new processors coming in a year or 2 are finally going the Intel route of smarter instead of attempting to and failing to brute force things like they've been doing for like 10 years now, it seems the problem will fix itself. Except if you play on the like 5 AMD processors that have the issue :p
  7. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

I have an AMD processor, couple years old, and I manually turned off the overclocking. It wasn't needed for one, and it interfered with other games as well. You should be able to do it from the Catalyst Control Center, that's how I did it.
  8. Behee Augur

Same for me.

To the OP, you can always just (download the game if you haven't already, and) log in and try it out.
  9. Caell Augur

10. Weverley Augur

Not to mention all the threads about people with cpu over 4.2ghz having to lower it. To resume engine would have to be reconstructed to solve all those problems.Not gonna happen.Theres those multiple threads also about how come eq still using directx 9.0c
  11. Arderd and Crowd Augur

worked fine on my 6 core AMD
  12. Ranghar New Member

Yes, I am the one who started that first thread in 2014. I was asking here if they had fixed it yet. As I was able to make it work with AMD Overdrive in 2014. Underclocking the way I had to in order to make it work was causing all kinds of errors in Windows. I was getting OS crashes nonstop, but Everquest would work for the most part. I got my answer and then let it pass.

However, it isn't like this forum gets a ton of posts. I would love to see an employee actually address the issue. Tell me why it does this, and if they plan on ever fixing it. If EQ had the amount of players as say League of Legends I would understand why there has been no official response in the 2 years I have been seeking an answer because of the volume of posts. I would like to think that the developers come to the forums at least once a week and read some of the posts/respond.
  13. Ranghar New Member

Fair enough. So those of us with 5.0ghz processors are just left out. I mean I love Everquest. I have played it off and on since the beta with 989 studios. So it is safe to say it isn't fixed, and won't ever be fixed.

Thanks for the response, good luck with Everquest in the future.

Bye guys.
  14. Vulak-Arkadius Augur

why not just disable the cores in windows instead, there is a fix for that
    Barton likes this.
  15. Ranghar New Member

Not exactly viable in this situation. The fix is to clock the processor at ~2.9ghz down from ~5.0ghz.

Before I leave, I will make a video so you guys can understand the problem, and I will show how to make Everquest run, but I don't recommend it as it caused my system to blue screen many many times. It may help people in the future, but I myself am not looking to cause system instability in order to play Everquest.

I will have the video up in a few hours and you can see the problem first hand, and the "fix"(its not much of a fix as it causes problems in the long run).