EQ + AMD FX Help or Fix Please!

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Ranghar, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Ranghar New Member

I just recently upgraded from a phenom to an AMD FX-9370 and I am stuck with the Hyper Speed Client! Tonight I decided I would get back into EQ so I bought the newest expansion and got ready to play. I have spent the last 4 hours trying every fix I've found on the net and not one has made the game not run in hyper speed. Have turned off all the power saving features like cool and quiet. Have tried lowering the frequency from 200 to 199. I have been tweaking bios settings for hours with no positive result. I have gone through 20+ threads of people who have had the issue solved for them, but none of the fixes they used make a difference here.

This is horrible, and I really feel I should just email support and try to get a refund on the expansion I just purchased since I am unable to make this work at all.

I remember first seeing this issue a few years ago, and my mind is blown that it still hasn't been fixed even though new expansions are still being pushed out nonstop.
  2. Deillusional Augur

Disable the OC settings in the bios. Then it should go fine.
  3. Ranghar New Member

I am running it at stock speeds, but the FX-9370 is a factory overclocked processor...as all the new liquid cooling required AMDs are. I can try underclocking it by 1ghz and see if EQ runs I guess. That is still a huge pain for me as I play multiple games on my PC and would have to change the bios each time I wanted to play EQ.
  4. Sarkaukar Augur

As noted in other threads, the frequency at 199/200 and the AMD FX CPU at 4.2 or less.

Have you tried using AMD Overdrive?

AMD Overdrive PDF file
    Trellium and Ranghar like this.
  5. Ranghar New Member

Thank You Sir!!
    I was able to set up a profile just for EQ1 that lowers my processor speed to 3.9ghz and then another profile to kick it back to 4.7ghz without having to restart and go into the bios. Still annoying, but I am willing to deal with having to do that in order to play EQ1. I was not willing to change it in the bios and have to restart every time/bios settings in order to switch from EQ1 to Landmark and vice versa.

<3 you Sarkaukar!
    Trellium and JacklSK like this.
  6. Sarkaukar Augur

Thank you for the follow up and letting us know that a profile can be setup to drop it when play EQ. :) I only the ATI/AMD graphic cards.
  7. Ranghar New Member

Another thing...in the event that someone else finds this thread with the same issue.

You can load the profile for say 3.9ghz on Overdrive. Launch EQ, log in your character, and then immediately load the profile for your normal CPU speed(which was 4.7ghz for me). That way EQ is running at normal speed, but you get the performance boost from your full cpu speed.
  8. Atan New Member

Yeah so, I'm not going to castrate my cpu just to occasionally play this game, is there an actual fix for this issue?
  9. Sarkaukar Augur

Other than temporarily setting things up like the above, then another fix is to run EQ on any older system.
  10. skitless New Member

I am having the same issues with mine i also am running amd fx 9370 8 core processor. if you find a fix please please keep the thread updated .
  11. Kazlin New Member

AMD overdrive will fix the issue for you so you can play the game.
  12. Eneroth New Member

Okay I installed EQ again today and I am running my issue seems to be this.

AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor

Okay I have read that you need to underclock the processor but how? I did download AMD Overdrive, and am wondering how to do this. If anyone can help that would be amazing! If I can't fix it going to have cancel my subscription, had no idea having a fast processor would mess things up.
  13. Sarkaukar Augur

For your CPU, you do not have to "underclock" it. You simply need to lock the CPU speed. Click on the Learn More at the bottom of this post. On page 10 it will tell you what you need to change in the bios first before AMD Overdrive can make changes.

In this thread (the same as I did for my nephew's system), we locked the HT Freq via bios (before I knew of AMD Overdrive program).
    https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/...lect-screen-unresponsive.217585/#post-3168622

The HT Ref Clock needs to be set at 200mhz, the CPU multiplier at 20x for your CPU. Combined will give you 4ghz, the default CPU speed of your system. Without locking down those two points, both will fluctuate which causes the issue.

Integrated system test and monitoring

AMD OverDrive™ technology lets you monitor all your performance settings including clock memory, voltage and memory timing. It also runs advanced stability tests to ensure overall system stability so you can focus on your game.
    Learn more
  14. Sneaksta Journeyman

It always makes my day to read in these posts as per above" I am not going to castrate my cpu in order to play..." As stated numerous times, EQ is an old game, and the code is very old as well. The only fix you have is to lock down and/or Temporarily!!! underclock your cpu while you run EQ. This allows the game to lock in settings that IT needs in order to run. After the game is started, at character select etc, You can immediately revert these settings back to normal operation. It is not castrating your system, Just allowing optimum operating parameters for antique code. AMD Overdrive allows you to do this, as does AI Suite from Asus.

However, I am very entertained by folks who adamantly refuse. The fix/workaround is so easy that I taught my 9 year old to do it. .....
    Behee likes this.
  15. Maxe Augur

I don't really want to modify the bios between games. Any idea how to adjust the settings on a custom profile in Overdrive for eqgame.exe so it doesn't go hyper mode? Also, that overdrive utility looks nothing like the bios does, as it suggests in the pdf. In fact, they look completely different. I know absolutely nothing about this utility other than every page is warning warranty does not cover using it so any tips from someone who knows what they're doing would be nice.

AMD 9590 4.7, 5.1 overdrive, 8 core obviously and running an Asus R9 270. Game looks beautiful, and turbo speed would almost be cool if it didn't stop me from memming spells, changing gear, swapping bags, clicking on anything etc. Any screenshots of a good custom profile for the exe would be wonderful if someone already figured it out and has it set up. Thanks.
  16. Eneroth New Member

Honestly this is something I am looking for as well.

But if you have the TurboV EVO software, you can go into the settings and drop your CPU Bus Freq. from 216 to 200. Hit Apply and the game will run. How this slows down the machine I am not sure, but it was an easy fix, as I am not sure what to do with AMD OverDrive.

PS: Thanks Sark for the info
  17. Maxe Augur

yeah this is a bus speed and dedicated core when playing eq. I'm not sure how to work the thingamajig
  18. Behee Augur

We have several systems with the AMD A10's, which we overclock if we can. EQ is the one that holds it back to 3.9Ghz as Sarkaukar described here and in many other threads. AMD's Overdrive is great for tweaking, and testing. No need to deal with the bios, and it will self test the speed range (until the system crashes), then lets you select the cpu/gpu speeds from their acceptable ranges.

Yesterday I installed Windows 10 tech preview on these gaming computers, and decided to see how fast (or slow) Win 10 ran them. I found I can run the EQ at about 4.2Ghz and not get this issue although I had it before, and EQ only ran at 3.9ghz.

Has anyone else noticed that at all? The down side is that the AMD drivers (beta Win 10 drivers) are fairly unstable ... unless you down clock to, oh, around 3.9 ghz. :p.

Things are running very, very nicely though under Win 10. 4 instances of EQ and the foreground one runs at a decent 60ish FPS (on an older 5000 series video card). The on-board graphics are for the secondary desktop.

Go to AMD Catalyst Control Center, then do to the Performance tab on the left. There is CPU Overdrive, which you need to enable and let it self test (until the system crashes), then let it reboot and come back in. It will remember which one failed, and set that as the maximum for your computer build. The you can go to CPU Power, which lets you set the speed range for performance vs.power consumption.

Graphics Overdrive works similarly if you have on-chip graphics (I do, it runs a secondary monitor).

I have both CPU and GPU overclocked, but not maxed out. With 4 instances running it is at 23% cpu load, and still getting 62 FPS on the foreground EQ. No issue with the speed of EQ, no sign of being a bard on steroids :D

Tweaking the CPU speeds specifically to EQ is probably done by the AMD gaming software. I didn't install it, but I think I will try it too.
  19. Maxe Augur

I actually handled this a different way. Keep in mind I run the game on a 9590, so if you don't the rules might be slightly different.

For the purpose of helping other people out I'll post what I did and try to get a screenshot working here for you to see what the end result looks like.

First, I went to the AMD website and downloaded AMD Overdrive. After some research I decided to create a custom profile for eqgame.exe

First thing you need to do is install AMD Overdrive, then click on the "AMD Smart Profiles Tab". On the menu that pops up, check the box saying "Enable Smart Profiles". Check "Custom Rules" just below that.Click add, find your eqgame.exe file and select it.

On the top right you will see two drop-down menus, on the left select "Custom" under the "Rule Type" menu. Adjust the process priority to high on the top right drop-down menu, (I wouldn't recommend real-time).

Below the drop-down tabs you have multiple "Cpu Core Affinity" boxes. Select all the boxes (but not "boost state"). Don't mess with the core voltage, you could fry something if you don't know what you're doing.

Below the "Cpu Core Affinity" boxes you have several drop-downs of "Core Multiplier". Select Default - 10 for all of the core drop-down tabs, (or play around with it depending on your processor speed, but do not increase the multiplier to a positive number). Make sure your eqgame.exe is checked in the list on the top left box as "Enabled"

Hit "Apply" at the bottom of Overdrive. Leave overdrive open, and minimize it. Load EQ. Your problem should be solved. If not, select a lower multiplier for each of the cores on the eqgame.exe profile, and try again after hitting "Apply" you will need to close EQ before doing this.

I hope this helps. I'm by no means an IT expert, and I don't guarantee it will work, but it works for me every time. The only thing you need to do now to get EQ working every time is open Overdrive first, select your eqgame.exe profile under "Enable Smart Profiles" and hit apply. Then minimize Overdrive before launch. Don't close Overdrive. It seems to only maintain the smart profile as long as Overdrive remains open.
  20. Maxe Augur