Why wont Daybreak just make a poll for Agnarr unlock speed?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Sillyfish, Mar 25, 2017.

1. taliefer Augur

We had 16 weeks of velious and luclin on phinny, and it was bad.

There simply isn't enough to do in those expansions to keep even the most casual players busy, especially with raid instancing and the faster exp Agnarr is going to have
  2. snailish Augur

Maybe everything is done in isolation, and 12 weeks is the ideal timing in-game metrics have shown the devs.

Maybe Agnarr fits in an overall scheme of future progression, current progression, events on Live, next expansion and so on so the "beats" are aimed to fit in with all the others to make less lulls in the overall EQ timeline looking ahead the next 2 years. Again, only in-game metrics the devs would have access to could inform such decisions.

Playerbase input is interesting, and often useful, but ultimately the devs/decision makers have to go with common $en$e from their point of view to keep the game viable.
  3. Razzle Augur

Donroy, you sound type of guildmate we are looking for, if your interested in joining a guild. If you have low playing time and want some buddies to hang with, we would love to have you. We have both high and low playtime members.
  4. -wycca Augur

Phinigel had 16 weeks in Velious and Luclin. I'm not sure I've heard people say they were a fan of it, and from even casual friends they didn't appear to like how long it took.
  5. Sillyfish Elder

I was not aware that Phinigel had 16 week Velious and Luclin. Thank you for letting me know.

Interesting that some of you say it wasn't a popular unlock timer. Perhaps 12 weeks is the most popular option.

You are seriously way too angry. There must be something wrong with your life. You are obviously very unhappy. Try to change things up a bit, seek some professional help. Things will get better if you let them.
  6. Rhodz Augur

Beginning to see the wisdom of doing away with Progression entirely.
    Sure would put a damper on the krono farmers to open in LDoN.
    Boots?
    We dont need your stinking boots...
    Sumonerr_Tunare likes this.
  7. Sillyfish Elder

If Progression servers didn't exist I wouldn't be giving Daybreak any of my money. I missed out on the original retail. Enjoying the content through Progression is a wonderful alternative. I have no interest in Modern Everquest.
  8. Rhodz Augur

LDoN is hardly modern EQ.
    There have been lots of progression servers, still are, I am saying it is time to rethink it after most people have already done that grind at least once only to lose interest for a variety of reasons.
    Why start where the game is at it's worst instead of when it is at it's best? All the associated nonsense like spells not being available, classes not being selectable, races not available, etc etc etc
    Doing this allows DBG to do things like surprise unlocks if population begins to flag, nothing says they cant unlock a locked server.
    Of course if Krono farming is the goal I guess the idea does sound dangerous.
  9. Random newb Augur

No matter who wins there will be a dissatisfied minority. May as well just accept what dbg had decided.
  10. -wycca Augur

Aye, it's probably why they settled on it. It seems like "enough" time based on feel. I will say that 16 weeks in Luclin was, to me, a ton better than 16 weeks in Velious (or before - hi2u Kunark on Ragefire). AA helps a ton, as does, in general, just having more and more content (even if its a bit older stuff - you can still grab some friends and pop a hate instance, or a nag/vox instance, etc).
  11. nagash101 Augur

i would also prefer 16 weeks and a poll addressing the lock expansion. i would like to play a Berserker on Agnarr. Oow or God locked server would be great.
  12. Deadshade Augur

A poll is always good because it gives legitimity to a controversial solution .
    I would vote 16 weeks too and this for a simple reason .
    I need in average 4 hours on line per level . This includes the time I spend trade skilling, chatting, travelling , buying/selling, raiding, LFGing so it is not 100 % pure XPing in a good group .

That makes around 200 - 250 hours on line to get to level 50 .
    I play around 10 hours a week, maximum 15 and most casuals I met are in the same ball park .
    So an ideal duration for us would be 200 / 10 = 20 weeks .
    I guess we could live with 16 too . 12 is definitely too fast at least for Classic&Kunark .

Now DB has all the accurate data . If they want, they can exactly know what is the average time spent OL to get to level 50 and they can exactly know what is the average time spent OL/week .
    So if they take the pain to divide the former by the latter, they know what is the average unlock speed which will suit the majority . The result may very well be 12 .

The only issue I have is that I am not sure at all that they did this division and I am quite sure that nobody will tell us whether they did it or not .
  13. koook Elder

because its going to be locked at 65 anyway- you have an eternity to catch up and classic content will still be relevant
  14. Kahna Augur

Far more important than the average time to max level is the point where the length of time in era without an unlock begins to negatively impact the population. That stat is easy for DBG's to see. They have had several servers at different unlock times to judge. There is literally no way they didn't take that information into account when choosing the unlock time frame in an attempt to make this server as successful as possible.

You will be fine, you really will. RF/LJ exp rate is fast, You will get to max level on 15 hours played a week with time to spare. Not to mention the fact that you will have all the time in the world to get to max level once the server locks.
  15. Kaneras Augur

This is a ridiculous statement. Are you saying that you and your guild are fully decked out in Skyshrine armor? Final ring war? Final shawl? More skyshrine quests for non-set pieces? Even when I was guilded and doing this content back in 2000 whatever we didn't have a single person all decked out. If you and your guild can do all of this in three months you are the most powerful group of neckbeards in the history of online gaming. Velious has plenty of content to keep even slightly casual guilds busy for over a year.
    MBear and Xanathol like this.
  16. Rhodz Augur

Yeah seriously when most people here started EQ it was likely between SoV and PoP with almost a year between xpaks give or take. People had lots to do, you may not want to do those things but it exists. This racing is a dead end yall should know that by now.
    Xanathol likes this.
  17. Kahna Augur

In three months the majority of our guild had everything they wanted from raids, had done all the quests they cared to do and was itching for the moon. When Luclin did come out we told folks we were still going to do NToV on one night a week and damn near had a mutiny. No one logged on to raid that night because they were completely over it. We dropped it shortly after that.
  18. malaki Augur

Yes it turns out with the way these servers are set up that almost everyone is close to BiS in 3 months.
  19. Donroy Elder

Sounds great. I'll look you up when this thing goes live!
  20. RangerDave Lorekeeper

It's really amazing to me how different my approach to EQ is than most people on these forums. The whole argument over unlock times seems to revolve around how long it will take to hit max level and get all the high-end raid gear. It's like 90% of the actual, sprawling content of EQ isn't even a factor in people's thinking. Whereas for me, I'm looking at a 3-month unlock and thinking, "Holy cow. There's no way that'll be enough time to do everything I want to do." Even just in Classic, here's a partial list of the time-consuming things I want to do on just my Ranger main before moving on to Kunark:
    • Reconnect with my roots by doing all the low-level plot quests in Surefall Glade and Qeynos (poor Merona Castekin has no idea what happened to her brother, Guard Elron has lost his daughter, and I suspect the Unkempt Druids have something planned for Surefall's ambassador!)
    • Earn my Jaggedpine Crook Staff and Cloak of Jaggedpine
    • Assemble a full set of Ivy Etched Armor
    • Complete the Sword of Morin quest
    • Save little baby Joseph Sayer before Splitpaw changes
    • Craft my Trueshot Longbow and upgrade it to Rain Caller
    • Learn the Call of Flames
    • Camp for an FBSS
    • Obtain a Mithril Breastplate and Black Chitin Leggings for that plate look
    • "Convince" Quillmane to give me a feather for my cloak
    • Wander the open spaces and spend some time in all my old camping spots
    • Relearn the nooks and crannies of Guk, Runnyeye, Befallen, Najena, Sol A, Qeynos Catacombs, Unrest and Mistmoore
    • THEN hit max level, crawl through Permafrost and Sol B, and send Vox and Naggy to the afterlife where they can finally be together.
    Three months might be enough time to do all that for Classic, but taking a similar approach to Kunark and Velious will easily require six months each. And forget about having time to do the same on any alts.

Don't get me wrong - to each their own, and I don't begrudge the folks who get their fun mainly from maxing out and gearing up their character and raiding with their guildies. It's just strange to me that the vast majority of the actual content of EverQuest isn't even a factor in most people's minds when they talk about how long we should spend in any given era.
    MBear, Xanathol and Haladan like this.