Why we should stop boxing on Mangler

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Wisp99, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Maxe Augur

All of your posts are opinion based, and not popular opinion. Doesn't matter much how you try to text wall.
    jeskola likes this.
  2. Narvakhan New Member

Yes welcome to the world where people share those opinions. Tried to explain if it turned into a wall feel free to ignore.
  3. Kittany Augur

Ignoring the childishness of the first part of the post, the system you have described worked out very well for a large number of years during the youth and middle age of EQ. Many of the blue servers even had schedules for various guilds and raid targets whereas the red servers usually settled the disputes of kill rights with PvP.

Now, I'm sure somebody would correct me in this; Because if I'm wrong; please do. But it wasn't until I started playing on Ragefire that the DPS race was a common tactic. Clearly there was a shift in attitudes from a respectful and play nice policy to a pure anarchist view of competition. This shift seemed to of happened in the 8 years that I didn't actively play.

Where P99 is concerned (And keep in mind, I only played there for a relatively short time compared to the time I spend in EQ), it is advertised as the 'classic' EQ experience. I know little or nothing about the drama that goes on behind the scenes aside from rumors and hearsay (Concerning the alleged RMT, raid rotation schedules etc), so I was only speaking from a surface view.

So, congrats? I never mentioned anything about boxing in my reply to you. And it bears repeating. I'm not against boxing. I'm against the RMT that uses boxing and botting as it's tools to ruin the economy of the servers.

As for the last bit. It warms me to know that you know my exact history in EQ along with each and every one of my achievements and friendships, the contributions I've made to the various communities I've called home over the years and the people that I have helped. The two and a half years you have spent being an altruistic and benevolent beacon of hope sure does pale over anything I could of ever have done. Thank you.

I'm not even sure what to make of this. It's nearly incomprehensible and goes in a myriad of different directions of insults, self flattery and an unfathomable sense of elitism. So, pat yourself on the back I suppose.

:p
  4. Nykara2 Elder

I don't box on TLP I just have the one account on there.

I happily play a druid so I can solo during the hours I am likely to have regular interruptions, mostly from my 9yr old and group at night. That way in the day time I don't distrupt groups with constant afks especially when there is times I am the sole healer.

Never did do ports for required donations even back on live originally. If someone offered then cool I might except if im really tapped out on plat but otherwise ill just hit cancel. if they dont then NP either. I just help people and buff them etc because I like to be nice and no I don't care who I cast them on nor do I ask anything for it. Anymore then i care who I toss heals on if I see someone struggling I'll help.

Ive also said in other posts i don't really have a issue with double / tripple boxers just the full box groups (6+) that camp everything 24/7. So if your going through my other posts go through all of them:)
  5. Grailer Augur

Well I saw 8 players all stacked on each other moving together as one . I cancelled my account

Really sad that the game has become this .
    Nykara2 likes this.
  6. Aneuren Tempered Steel

You aren't wrong (or if you are, you aren't far off). There was a massive shift in the Everquest PNP/Rules of Engagement/Rules of Behavior. There were massive threads about it, it marked the official change in stance to allow for in-game harassment that was once considered "kill stealing." I feel that that change in policy also helped contribute (not create, but certainly contribute) to the escalation of bot armies as well, but Daybreak simply doesn't have the requisite staff to enforce the older, fairer, policies.
  7. BraxKedren Journeyman

I found the easiest solution was to go play on Agnar instead. No Mage Raid boxes running through the newbie areas or rolling over everyone in BB killing Gnolls. Actual people in the zones and people were friendly and helpful.

I thought Mangler would be good but at this point it's just been a magnet for all the raid boxers to jump on and kill the experience.
  8. BraxKedren Journeyman

9. code-zero Augur

The problem isn't the multi boxers or the Krono farmers. It was people having unrealistic expectations about what would happen on Mangler.

There was much rejoicing that Selo was going to be the "racer" server when the matter of fact is that Mangler's ruleset is exactly what those sorts of folks wanted. Personally I think DBG should have stuck with the even worse exp and harsh death penalties.

There are two prominent sorts of players on Mangler, the truly hard core and the people who thought the hard core weren't going to be there. Now I'll grant you that there are probably a lot of people doodling around various newbie yards and having a great time because they don't see anything else happening but they could be doing that over on Selo too and never know the difference
  10. BraxKedren Journeyman

The small group boxers isn't the problem it's the raid groups going nuts. For a server that was promoted in hopes to get people back into the game some, for it being out 20 years, you would think DBG would police it better so that the raid groups aren't ruining it for people. Most of General is complaints about those boxers bringing the server down.

Before those people jump on and start demanding screenshots, we don't need them. Log into Mangler yourself and run the newbie areas. Run to CB and BB and see them going nuts in those areas. People can't compete so either log off or just quit altogether.
  11. Maxe Augur

I really don't care about the boxers who aren't being jerks, but the reality is they're so few and far between, I can't even think of a nice set of boxers I've met yet on Mangler. It's either a legit clunky boxer too busy to respond to chat playing 2 toons, or it's a 6+ box being obviously not true boxed. The 6 man boxes, nice or not are taking up important camps in every pick in every zone. Some of them never seem to log off.. Then they get all cocky when you call them on training or basically pulling a whole zone with 50 people in it for their 6 box. 6 individual accounts generates more income than 1. The boxers are in a huge minority on this server, and should not be catered to like on other TLPs. You know there's a problem when SSoY is 3 Krono and FBSS is more. Nobody can even compete for the items they need, creating one unfair advantage, then they hold the only items and set the prices to just screw the casuals as much as possible. It's like this every TLP and it wasn't supposed to be for the 20th.

As far as P99, I don't think I've even ever seen that iteration of the game. I've been playing on here since 989. I've seen the boxers destroy the population of the other TLPs. My only conclusion relative to the facts is that someone on the staff is participating in the RMT. There's no other logical reason to allow this kind of stuff to go on without even warnings otherwise. Come on guys, how many subs have you lost to the flood of self ego stroke of 50 year olds exploiting your creation repeatedly? How many potential resubs did you lose because once again you failed to address it?

The people on here advocating for boxing are generally talking trash about the game at the same time, like it's a POS 20 year old game. No it's a 20 year old community of players with whole families that maintain accounts. I didn't resub for Mangler, I never Unsubscribed. I didn't use duped Krono or market extorted Krono to pay for my account, or the past 4 collectors editions I bought even though I don't play the expacs. I didn't use other people's fun to pay for the 1000's I've spent on microtransactions either.

I also don't box. I have before, but after completing epics on the toons and running around it seemed like a total waste of time. This game was built on community, and whether you want to admit it or not, a bunch of krono swapping hands over and over, some of which was duped, isn't paying to keep this game going. If I'm wrong DBG, please let me know. I don't know, maybe I'm just selfish to want some kind of MMO experience from EQ, it being a multiplayer game and all.
    Kittany likes this.
  12. Ceffener Augur

What raid group is that? Raids teams are currently at 50/finishing grinding to 50. Killed Phinny last night and Dragons are going to die tonight.

But apparently spending all their time in newbie yards?
  13. Ceffener Augur

Spent 4 hours in LGuk at a named camp last night, 0 boxers.
    Spent 4 hours Tuesday night in SolB at a named camp, 0 boxers.
    All during prime time, what are you actually trying to do to get camps/groups/gear? Because I’ve ran into more of a problem from people being at camps than boxers. And none of that has stopped me from picking around and getting camps/loots.
  14. Reiker99 Lorekeeper

Interestingly anti-boxxers and anti-vaxxers have a lot in common: neither group has ever came up with a single logical argument for their position.
    code-zero likes this.
  15. Killer Rabbits New Member

I would like to nominate the quoted post as the most ridiculous in the history of internet forums.

Maybe a little more accurate: Interestingly, anyone boxing 4+ toons is guaranteed to have a thick neckbeard.
  16. Reiker99 Lorekeeper

Wow you presented a lot of evidence to prove me wrong, I guess I'l rethink my stance!

I think the most common arguments against boxing are:

1) They take spots away from "real" players.

Response: Anyone joining a group takes a spot away in that group from anyone else. Solution: Make another group. This is a nonissue. Also without boxing you'd have a lot less pocket healers, pocket enchanters, etc. and many groups wouldn't even be able to start or continue without these characters, resulting in less groups to join.

2) They affect the economy because of influx of items.

Response: The influx of items into an economy is based on spawn rates and drop rates. Guess what, boxing doesn't increase either of these things. What does increase these things is pickzones. And I agree that pickzones have a significant impact on the economy. So is your issue with boxing, or with pickzones?

What other nonsense did I leave out?
  17. Kittany Augur

Fix't this for you. You're welcome.
    Killer Rabbits likes this.
  18. modsiw Augur

Boxers/botters... These aren't the same thing. Please quit treating them as such.

As for a logical argument to support boxing? How is it that the default position is to take away a liberty and restore it only if supported? This is backwards. The onus is on anti-boxers to demonstrate (demonstrate means more than to make claims) that boxers cause undue harm to other players. Until the anti-boxers do this, the only argument boxers need is "We're playing by the rules, get bent.", yet we consistently give more than that in an attempt to be civil.
  19. Machentoo Augur

I don't always. I'm pretty satisfied with "We're playing by the rules, get bent." Personally.
    code-zero and Gana like this.
  20. Reiker99 Lorekeeper

Well considering you guys are the only ones complaining, traditionally it's up for you to explain your case. Boxers are operating within the same rules that have been in place since 1999.
    code-zero likes this.
  21. AgentofChange Augur

People box, get over it /thread