Which Augs Are Best?

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Psyran, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Sancus Augur

Completely agree. Only thing I have to add is you're getting a lot more damage than that from SD because it's applied to each wave, and it crits. To give the best case scenario, you're getting about 14.17 damage per line per 1 SD on a burn ((16/7)*6.2), and with Twincast you're getting 6-8 lines. It's still not a ton, but at least IMO it's a better option than mana. Granted, in most scenarios it's a lot less, but thought I'd throw that in there :).
  2. Maeryn Augur

Great and you have fabulous augs, your Magelo update I was looking at was only 3 weeks into the expansion so I assume you will get at least 2 more upgrades soon if you don't already have them.

A long time ago Wrei/Wire did the math on Undoc and Repair Core and spent way too much time fruitlessly trying to track down Dark Essence. I'm sure there are posts on magetower about it, I got to hear it first hand since I was raiding with him.

10spldmg on a Rk.3 Level 77 nuke doing 642 x 7 damage was a "huge" impact. 12sec cast + recast before cast time was changed. 12/7 * 10 * 7 = 120 MORE DAMAGE. With a 12sec cast + recast it's 10 MORE DPS without crits and probably ~25 MORE DPS on a burn.

Because "of Many" is now 9.75sec cast + recast and only 5 waves it's down to 9.75/7 * 10 * 5 = 70 more damage. With 9.75sec cast + recast it's 7 more DPS and probably ~28 more DPS on a burn. Crit rates and crit multipliers probably keep it around the same 6 years later on a burn.

The issue is http://www.eqmagetower.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=159&start=20

As late as 2009 his 12.5k for 5min parses taking advantage of multiple targets and then 16k!!!!!!!!!! for 97sec full burn on boss are bleeding edge parses with people crying about how it's impossible to do that and calling his use of LoN Mana potions to be "cheating".

That's the reason that in 2008 and even 2009 that 10-25dps made the robot playing Wire experience the closest thing it ever felt to the human emotion of joy.

In 2014 some back of envelope calculations create a ballpark number of 1spldmg = 5dps on a burn (since you hopefully cast some spells other than RxS waiting for "of many" to refresh). Making deliberate decisions to accumulate spldmg at the expense of other stats you'll have trouble getting more than 100spldmg edge even over the guy who goes "screw it, 30spldmg ear is going for so much less DKP than 40spldmg ear" since he will have more upgrades to your better upgrades all else being equal, obviously better raid attendance, more effort outside of raids and such can create larger gaps.

If 16k for 97sec still seems like mindblowingly high damage to you then 500dps is worth pretty much whatever stat tradeoff you make. If your auto-attacking pet with only Burnout beats that parse then it's still 500dps you won't do with more Mana/hInt, HP/hSta or whatever but it's impractical to claim that someone choosing to prioritize a different stat is wrong.

That 6 years after 5spldmg augs came out an 8spldmg aug is a "good one" is the issue. You should be able to choose a 50spldmg aug, aka a 250dps on a burn aug by now. Stick that with your 2x 40spldmg and some 35s and 30s and you will be back to getting the same % DPS boost as Wrei was getting in 2008 from Undoc and Repair Core alone.

You do need augs and better is gooder but after Shawl and 15% spec augs you're only left with slightly more survival, slightly more damage and slightly faster ooc. Symp proc augs other than Shawl in many situations lower the damage and/or mana benefit of your Symp collection so don't worry about those.

One day you might have a reason to genuinely about more than 3 or fewer augs but for now it's just a "tastes great" and "less filling" argument that comes down to best case ~20dps for every 8spldmg aug you pick instead of a 4spldmg aug. If you're a Wizard without "of Many" line don't even dare dream about getting 5dps for 1spldmg.
  3. Naugrin Augur

I've now ratted out Drayze to TSM....he should be booted any second. /em ducks and runs.
  4. Drayze Elder

I am not saying everyone should go spell damage exclusively with their aug priorites. I was explaining why I chose that route since my magelo was brought into this discussion. My opinion remains.....if mana isn't an issue for you why not choose the route of as much free added damage as possible?

If mana pool is an issue for someone then by all means go the route of all the highest hint/mana augs....hell you could even choose the symp proc mana return augs to go with it....

At the end of the day, as a raiding magician my job on raids is to dps to the best of my ability so I am going to choose augs that help me with that.

Dray
    Sancus likes this.
  5. Drayze Elder

/wave Naugrin.....thanks for ratting me out...my cover is blown!!
  6. Axxius Augur

Mana and mana. Heroic INT is just mana (about 21 mana per hINT point, so just add up the mana + 21*hINT on the aug).

Clairvoyance is a joke, especially the amount of it that comes from the augs. So is spell dmg - it's so far behind the mudflation that it's completely irrelevant these days (again, the amount of it that you can get from the augs).

You need 3 non-mana augs: Splinter of Potency (SpecEvo = extra mana preservation) and 2 augs that proc the most dd that you put into your primary/secondary (currently that's Bone Shards of Frozen Marrow, and Ancient Diamond Spellcharm or Exotic Gem).

For all other slots just go with the most mana.

Shawl 3.0 is a great proc, but it's also THE top mana aug in game, so it should already be at the top of your wish list.

This is for a wizard, as the OP asked. Other classes have other needs.
  7. Apoc Augur

It really just depends on if you are a raider or not with the newest raids dots and high dd nukes i would almost say hps is number one priority in an aug these days. The 2 dd proc augs are great that Axxius listed but i would use those with fury of kerafym. I would use spirit of the gorgon and living heart golem with fury of ro. The shawl dd proc aug is pretty terrible tbh since it cant be modified by fury of kerafym. I have a bandoiler set up with a fire 2h and 2 fire proc augs and a disease proc 2h with the 2 augs that axxius listed and i have them bound to a key with fury of ro and fire proc fury of kera magic etc
  8. Axxius Augur

HP is not a priority, even less so on raids. Runes 4tw. Shield of Consequence must be up 100% of the time, and keep Armor of the Codex up as much as possible too. On raids you have enchanters to keep their Legion runes on the group. Casters are among the last to die from raid AE. Also, some of the TDS raids feature mana drain.

Bandoliering to weapons with different augs just for the Fury?? I think that's the level of micromanagement where you may be hurting yourself too much to achieve too little. ;)
  9. Apoc Augur

I havn't seen any dps parses from you so i couldnt really judge on that but fury does actually help dps a lot on proc augs.
  10. Naugrin Augur

How is shield of consequence working out for you? I've been using the old rank 3 since it has lower damage thresholds.
    Evercluck likes this.
  11. Axxius Augur

If you want to prove that swapping weapons just to use Fury with the aug procs is worth it - go ahead and parse your procs.
    Reht likes this.
  12. Axxius Augur

I'm undecided between them. In the group content I'm leaning towards Shield of Fate because 100% of the incoming damage is melee on everything except several named mobs. In TDS raids there are rather heavy AE's, and the bigger Shield of Consequence works better.
    Reht likes this.
  13. Silentchaos Augur

"Works better" as in you have to recast it less often?

[40365/9554] Shield of Fate Rk. III
    Classes: NEC/97 WIZ/97 MAG/97 ENC/97
    Skill: Abjuration
    Mana: 930
    Target: Self
    Resist: Beneficial, Blockable: Yes
    Casting: 4.5s, Recast: 1.5s, Rest: 1.5s
    Duration: 90m (900 ticks), Extendable: Yes, Dispelable: Yes
    1: Absorb Spell Damage: 60% over 8000, Total: 136435
    2: Absorb Melee Damage: 75% over 10000, Total: 104469

[44361/9654] Shield of Consequence Rk. II
    Classes: NEC/102 WIZ/102 MAG/102 ENC/102
    Skill: Abjuration
    Mana: 1021
    Target: Self
    Resist: Beneficial, Blockable: Yes
    Casting: 4.5s, Recast: 1.5s, Rest: 1.5s
    Duration: 90m (900 ticks), Extendable: Yes, Dispelable: Yes
    1: Absorb Spell Damage: 60% over 12000, Total: 157668
    2: Absorb Melee Damage: 75% over 12000, Total: 120727

Let's say this spell comes in and you have nothing up apart from your shield of ____ and max spellshield:

[48044] Humas Maxio
    Target: Target AE
    Range: 1000', AE Range: 30'
    Resist: Magic -850, Min Resist Chance: 10%, Max Resist Chance: 25%
    Reflectable: No
    Casting: 0s
    1: Decrease Current HP by 88560
    2: Push back 3' and up 3'
    3: Stun for 2s
    Text: You are engulfed in grinding earth.

With SoF rk. iii you will take 8,000 + {[(88,560*0.65)-8,000]*0.4} = 27,826 dmg. 29,739 dmg was absorbed, 22pct of the rune.
    With SoC rk.ii you will take 12,000 + {[(88,560*0.65)-12,000]*0.4} = 30,226 dmg. 27,339 dmg was absorbed, 17pct of the rune.

For a fresh shield of consequence to absorb more dmg than a fresh shield of fate, the incoming spell would have to be so large it would kill you anyway. You'll encounter a few more situations where the last of the fate rune is absorbed and you take full dmg from a portion of an AoE but on AoE intensive fights like the one that spell comes from chanters should be keeping darkened rune up such that the 1 hit that kills shield of fate won't kill you and you'll have enough time to recast it.

If you're not recasting your shield when it wears off by all means go with consequence, or if you want to have a bit more time to burn start off with consequence then move to fate or something, but fate is the superior spell for aoe dmg absorption IMO.

P.S. "The protection fades." is a great GINA or audio trigger.
  14. svann Augur

Have you considered that more recasts of SoF means less time dps'ing?
  15. Axxius Augur

If you are getting hit by Humas Maxio, then somebody in your raid fails. You take 2500 more dmg with SoC. Unless everybody in your raid constantly fails, the difference is negligible in terms of healing.

Let's consider an AE that happens regularly and hits everybody, i.e. 'background spell damage to keep you on your toes'. This happens every 30 sec in AM5:

[48064] Surge of Pain
    Target: Caster PB
    AE Range: 500'
    Resist: Disease -850, Min Resist Chance: 10%, Max Resist Chance: 20%
    Reflectable: No
    Casting: 0s
    Duration: 60s (10 ticks), Dispelable: Yes
    1: Inhibit Effect: Levitate
    2: Decrease Current HP by 75000
    3: Decrease Current Mana by 2000

SoF rk3 (absorb 60% over 8000, max 136435):
    You take (75000*0.65-8000)*0.4+8000 = 24300 dmg
    Your rune takes (75000*0.65-8000)*0.6 = 24450 dmg and will need to be recast after 6 hits.

SoC rk3 (absorb 60% over 12000, total 169493):
    You take (75000*0.65-12000)*0.4+12000 = 26700 dmg
    Your rune takes (75000*0.65-12000)*0.6 = 22050 dmg and will need to be recast after 8 hits.

The difference of 2k incoming damage is irrelevant, your healer won't even notice it. But you will have to recast SoF 33% more often than SoC. With everything that's going on in the top AM raids, I prefer to recast runes less often.
  16. Silentchaos Augur

You have shield of consequence rk. iii? What a waste of a rune.
  17. Axxius Augur

Sorry, I forgot to ask your opinion before grabbing it. Won't happen again, sir!

SoC rk2 is 157668 and will still need to be recast after 8 hits, but it won't absorb almost anything on the 8th hit. Rk3 is better, if you can afford it. And either one requires less recasting than SoF rk3.
  18. Cicelee Augur

Maybe what he was trying to say is that so early in the spell acquisition process, a rune going to a Shield of Consequence rk3 maybe valuable for the individual, but not necessarily for the guild. Unless your guild has had a great run of IIRC lvl 101 runes.

But I would not say Shield of Consequence or Fate is a wasted rune for any player. Maybe just the timing is too early. But who am I to say :)
  19. Silentchaos Augur

Yes, that's what I'm trying to say. SoC is level 102. Cloudburst and harvest are also level 102.
  20. menown Augur

Axxius, how does your guild disperse spell runes?