Which Augs Are Best?

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Psyran, Oct 31, 2014.

1. drkoli Augur

ive got the alteration aug! camped it til i got it
  2. Brohg Augur

But also conj aug, drkoli? All the shm damage spells are conj
  3. drkoli Augur

if it would drop id be sporting it
  4. Benzarden Augur

This guy asked for advice on how to aug his Wizard, and he received advice on everything from Enchanter to Shaman augs.

gg
  5. drkoli Augur

seems to me your post was a +1 post instead of offering advice to someone of your own class
  6. Benzarden Augur

Meh, Naugrin gave him great advice. Which was then refuted by every other class...

Be sure to check out the wizard boards on gamerslounge, Psy. Lots of good info over there, albeit some is starting to get a bit dated.
    Evercluck and Reht like this.
  7. Miss_Jackie Custom Title

For me, I use augs that have INT/Spell Dmg and lastly STA.
  8. Apoc Augur

I think HP AC Hagi and then lastly SD since SD makes little difference for a wizard
  9. Miss_Jackie Custom Title

AGI, I understand. But, Spell Damage stat? Why not?
  10. Benzarden Augur

But your magelo's aug selection suggests otherwise... You have a weird assortment of augs, including +Hdex and +Hcha augs?

HP -- You should have enough hp via gear to survive AEs. Keep runes up and don't stand in bad stuff. In the group game, there are very few AEs to worry about. Especially ones that will eat through Armor before a heal can land. If you are a beginning raider, and your gear is insufficient, okay. Some HSta and HP augs might be a good idea until your gear yields enough HP to survive AEs. Then switch em out.

AC -- How much are you really face tanking? The only raid I end up tanking a little bit on is ToR. Keep shield and armor up, hit fade/mind crash if you happen to get agro and keep dpsing. I could maybe understand wanting AC if you kite a lot and would like greater survivability in case things go bad. But even so, you'd probably be better off with a larger mana pool. Wizards' role is to dps. We have runes to help us survive a hit or two if something goes wrong.

Hagi -- See above.

SD -- You said it. It makes little difference for a wizard. Still probably the second best stat for us, considering our role is doing damage with spells (spell damage). As it has already been mentioned in this thread however, most HInt augs will come with some spell damage. Stacking HInt will provide a satisfactory amount of SD.

HInt/Mana -- Clear cut winner. More mana = less time spent harvesting = more spells = more damage. There is not a single fight between CotF T2 and Arx1 where I couldn't use more mana. If you have plenty of mana, you should probably be casting more spells. Personally, I'm not a fan of stopping dps for 10 seconds to harvest. In the group game, with lower mana pools and similar mana cost of spells, mana is even more important. Psy had already mentioned in a previous post how he was having mana issues. How is HP or AC going to help him dps when he is oom?
    Reht likes this.
  11. Brohg Augur

Agree. I want Gambit back :/
  12. Maeryn Augur

1. Splinter of Potency - 45 points of Spec Evo or Tweyne's Stone of Evocation 40, they don't stack
    2. Prayer Shawl of the Duke - whatever version

Whichever ones you have, no matter what stat(s) you prefer
    Jonas Dagmire's Skeletal Parrot
    Red Dragon Scales
    Hero's Calling
    Stone of the Landing
    Fragment of Purethought (or other PoWar mission aug)
    Blue Stone of Power (or another 14th anniversary aug)
    Sliver of Fear
    Frozen Orb of the Fabled King
    Stone of the Crystal Circle
    Fragment of Nobility (or other PoWar raid aug)

If no Stone of the Landing, then your other options are Dragon^3 aug with 3+ years /played or your charm aug being far worse than any other slot once you have a good set of augs.

The highest spell damage and mana augs
    Arx Mentis Mana Gem: 205hp, 290mana, 8hInt, 8spldmg
    Old Spirespine's Spine: 200hp, 280mana, 8hInt, 8spldmg
    Heart of Rot: 190hp, 270mana, 8hInt, 8spldmg
    Doomscale Gem: 180hp, 260mana, 8hInt, 8spldmg
    Candle of Hollow Souls: 170hp, 250mana, 8hInt, 8spldmg
    Red Eye of Gosik: 155hp, 240mana, 8hInt, 8spldmg
    Quicksilver Globule: 155hp, 240mana, 8hInt, 8spldmg

Leaving a couple or a bunch of spots to actually pick a priority between sd and mana depending on how many of the Top 12 augs you start with these aug choices of which only 2 are currently obtainable in game:
    Golden Nugget of the Eleventh Hour: 25ac, 200hp, 200mana, 2hSta, 3hInt, 10spldmg
    Polished Stone of the Eleventh Hour: 35ac, 140hp, 140mana, 3hSta, 2hInt, 10spldmg
    Afton's August Amethyst: 145hp, 205mana, 7hInt, 7spldmg
    Issis' Fang: 155hp, 240mana, 8hInt, 4spldmg
    The Warden's Glacial Stare: 150hp, 230mana, 8hInt

If you have weak augs you can even decide which you prefer
    Undocumented Stabilizing Compensator: 80hp, 80mana, 5spldmg
    Jonas Dagmire's Skeletal Hand: 15ac, 135hp, 135mana

And there are many possible similar decisions and it's impossible to say that one is simply better than the other, it's merely a preference. But as you get towards the best augs pretty much it's deciding if you want to use Steel Behemoth augs and how much time do you want to spend to get the last few augs, how many of them are even currently available and if you want to spend the time to power up Parrot and/or Landing.

If you're not going down the Mana and/or SD path then raidloot makes it really easy, sort by HP (which factors in hSta), hAgi or svCor and work your way down the list.

If anyone proclaims Polished is better than Warden or vice versa just smile and nod and decide on your own preference.

If anyone proclaims Potency/Tweyne or Shawl isn't worth the time and effort just smile and nod and completely ignore them. Other than those augs the stat gains are small enough it's easy enough to justify not spending a dozen hours depending on your /ran skills to get 0.2% more HP/Mana and sticking with Sentinel's Claw over Heart of Rot, it really won't make all that much difference.
    Benzarden and Brohg like this.
  13. Apoc Augur

That was just to pad magelo stats lol but yea i have no problem putting out 55 to 60k dps combined for the entire arx event 1
  14. svann Augur

Why is no one mentioning clairvoyance?
  15. Riou EQResource

It fires 2% of spell casts to restore that value (probably up to the spells base cost / how much it cost post redux)
  16. Maeryn Augur

http://raidloot.com/Search.aspx?type=Augmentation&augslot=7,8&order=Clairvoyance

If you picked every aug based only on the Clairvoyance stat you would have around 250 Clair from augs. Some of those augs like Hero's Calling everyone who has it would equip it but taking it to the furthest possible extreme lets pretend it's possible for you to choose to have 250 more Clair because of aug choices.

This will provide you on average with 5 mana per cast, factoring in Gift of Mana, Twincast and such you're looking at paying around 50% of the base cost of a cast.

So for Wizards best possible case is getting a "free" Ethereal Skyblaze Rk.1 for every 472 or so casts.

Basically it's only possible to consider Clair if the 2 augs are extremely similar. For instance:

Raze's Brainstem: 115hp, 160mana, 6hInt, 14clair
    Crystalline Tear: 110hp, 155mana, 5hInt, 4spldmg, 4heal

So 5hp ~25mana vs 4spldmg and 4heal (if your class can even use heal), that's really close and you could use 14clair as a tie-breaker which provides nearly 1/3 of a point of mana per cast on average.
    Qest T. Silverclaw likes this.
  17. Cicelee Augur

Majority of raid wizards I am familiar with tend to prioritize hInt/mana with spell damage as a secondary priority.

Majority of raid magicians tend to prioritize spell damage for their augment selection.

In both classes they also want the COTF evocation augment; magicians also add the COTF conjuration augment as well.
  18. Maeryn Augur

http://eq.magelo.com/profile/2474677 - Manapause, ignoring Aliano's Magelo padding or stupidity that includes no Evo or Conj augments the current highest Spell Damage for a Mage on Magelo.

Evo, Conj, Shawl, RDS, Hero's, Parrot, Arx Mentis, Spirespine, Heart of Rot, Doomscale, Candle, Red Eye, Quicksilver, Purethought, Blue Stone, Frozen Orb, Afton and Landing.

18 augs which give 0 indication of the preference of the player between Mana/hInt and Spldmg being the best of both worlds and Fragment of Nobility which would be the 19th different aug which doesn't require choosing she doesn't have.

Golden barely hints at a choice, it has such good overall stats. Very few people favoring Mana/hInt would ditch 200mana 3hInt 10spldmg even though it's possible with "perfect" aug sets to drop the aug.

Stone of Crystal Circle and Sliver of Fear are her last 2 augs with "only" 4spldmg each.

It's possible to go all out on SplDmg or at least make a show of it on Magelo while not taking the show to the extreme of dropping Conj and Evo:

http://eq.magelo.com/profile/2349046 - Drayze

Evo, Conj, Shawl, Hero's, Parrot, Heart of Rot, Doomscale, Candle, Red Eye, Quicksilver, Purethought, Blue Stone, Frozen Orb, Afton and Landing.

So on Nov 16th they didn't have Arx Mentis, Spirespine or Nobility, might have them now. Doesn't have RDS. Those 4 augs would be direct upgrades.

Manapause and Drayze both choose Golden.

To balance it out assume TSM farms PoWar enough that Drayze gets or already has Nobility and Manapause doesn't get Nobility but has RDS and Drayze farms or has already farmed the two TDS augs they are missing.

Drayze
    Polished - 140hp 140mana 3hSta 2hInt 10spldmg
    Scholar - 0hp 150mana 4hInt 8spldmg
    ~185hp ~410mana 18spldmg

Manapause
    Circle - 220hp 220mana 8hInt 4spldmg
    Fear - 230hp 230mana 6hInt 4spldmg
    450hp ~730mana 8spldmg

265hp 320mana vs 10spldmg

That 265hp and 320mana are each around one quarter of one percent of the unbuffed stats of either Mage. The 10spldmg is not quite 1% of the amount of spldmg either Mage has.

It's really silly to even begin to discuss which is the better pair of augs for Mages or any class. The majority of the most desirable augs for the vast majority of Mages and Wizards are the ones with both the most Mana/hInt and SplDmg. Let alone if Drayze chose in part based on wanting a click port ring and/or svCor.

The choices made for the last few augs even when someone like Aliano uses a *gasp* 0 spldmg aug (Glacial Stare) are incredibly tiny. TSM would not boot Drayze for having 10 less spldmg on the assumption he owns both of those augs and random variance ensures it would be impossible to notice the difference even though math can solve exactly how much damage is lost if it can be safely assumed max needed pets are present for "of many" nukes.

"Wild and Crazy" people even have more options:
    • hSta augs with more HP than Mana and no spldmg led by Azurlight Stone
    • hSta augs with more Mana than HP and 4 spldmg led by Reginasaur's Tooth
    • hAgi augs with more HP than Mana and no spldmg led by Tactics of the Warleader
    • hAgi augs with more Mana than HP and 4 spldmg led by Medal of the Commander
    Or simply using those 4 augs and picking an egg from every basket. You can modify hAgi by a large % relative to HP, Mana or spldmg. The value of being slightly more likely to avoid a melee hit is what is impossible to quantify.
    Once again even beginning to discuss if that's the best path is silly, the "wild and crazy" person who gives up a couple of % of HP/Mana to get ~50% more hAgi is going to perform largely the same as someone with a more conventional set of augs.
    Brohg likes this.
  19. Drayze Elder

Since I was used in the above example...I guess I will give my opinion....as a raiding magician I choose spell damage over hint/mana. The simple reason is because with my current Aug set( spell damage priority one) my raid buffed mana ends up over 121k. Mana simply isn't an issue for me on raids so why not add as much free damage as you can? That is what spell damage is. Also, for a magician spell damage is one of the few things available to us that increases our rain spell damage (approx 2.3 per 1 SD).

Dray
    Sancus likes this.
  20. Random_Enchanter Augur

i belive the fourmla for spell damage (and healing amount) is

(Spell damage amount) * (cast time + recast time) /7

so for a 14 second spell (4 second cast time + 10 second recast) 1 spell damage stat adds 2 damage to the spell.

I also belive that this is added to base damage thus is effected by foci, crit damage etc. though only crit damage can be tested.