Which Augs Are Best?

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Psyran, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Psyran Journeyman

Hey everyone I was just wondering what Augs I should be looking for my newly minted Lvl 100 wizard? I am not sure what heroic stats and just stats in general I need to be doing for maximum DPS. Could you please help. Thanks!
  2. Mintalie Augur

Typically, DPS casters these days go Spell Damage, Mana and Heroic Intelligence. raidloot.com has a great search feature that you can filter for these and see all the aug options.
  3. Naugrin Augur

That about sums it up....however the most important aug for a wizard is an evocation aug. You have 2 options: Tweyne's stone of evocation from old nro ldons raid or splinter of potency from the wk ha "helping hand."

The second is a touch better as it has a higher cap.
  4. Brohg Augur

Splinter is actually from any of the six EWTK 2 HA. If one is farming exclusively for it, though, the one you mention is fastest for named/no-named-time-to-drop-and-go-again.
  5. fransisco Augur

another option if you want to go defensively is to get AC and hAgi augs
  6. Brohg Augur

Popping over to eq.magelo.com to see what augs are commonly used by the top geared characters in your class is frequently a good way to make your list. You have to mentally filter out the anniversary augs & such that are unavailable just now, but whatever.
  7. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

They said that longer HAs are more likely to have named in them. I did Helping hand a ton before getting mine the say after a more named weekend that didn't work for me. Then we did the same HA again and it dropped back-to-back, and then we saw another soon after. It's just random when it drops and that's how it happened for us.

Be glad you're not a class that can use more than one of those things.
  8. Maeryn Augur

The problem with Magelo is whatever criteria you use for top geared characters biases the augs. If you sort by most Mana then you will get people at the top mostly using Mana augs.

Step 1 - Charm aug, so very few options, Stone of the Landing (RoF prog), Gold Plated Spiked Gear (Dragons^3 temp content and requires 3+ years /played to have good stats), if both can use Landing in a non-charm slot, if neither probably Slipgear's Gem (DoDH exploration) or Wanderlust Guild Loadstone (TSS exploration) or Heroic Protective Scales or Heroic Jewel of the Self (both Heroic characters only).

Step 2 - Tweyne's Stone of Evocation or Splinter of Potency as mentioned. Decide if you want to use Symp Mana or Symp DD if you have a Slot 4 in your weapon, decide between those two and another stat aug if you have Slot 8 in your weapon.

Step 3 - Any version of Shawl Aug, Hero's Calling, Fragment of Purethought (or other PoWar mission aug), Fragment of Nobility (or other PoWar raid aug), Blue Stone of Power (or other 14th anniversary aug), Sliver of Fear, Frozen Orb of the Fabled King, Stone of the Crystal Circle, Red Dragon Scales and/or Jonas Dagmire's Skeletal Parrot. Use any of those you have, there is no point discussing any of them.

Step 4 - Mana/hInt, HP/hSta, AC/hAgi, SplDmg or even svCor go to raidloot.com or eqresource.com and sort by the stat you consider most important and skip over augs that have 0 in stats you also consider important.

For instance you think Mana/hInt is most important so you look at http://raidloot.com/Search.aspx?class=Wizard&type=Augmentation&augslot=7,8&order=Mana but then skip over or downgrade Old Spire, Heart of Rot, Doomscale and such if you also consider AC important.

Mana/hInt is by far the most commonly pursued stat for Wizards, HP/hSta never sucks, SplDmg next up most commonly and some Wizards and more commonly Mages go for that over any other stat. If you think AC is at all important definitely get as much hAgi as you can it's vastly superior to AC for Wizards. svCor is pretty much the only other stat you could reasonably consider when choosing augs for a Wizard.
    Sirene_Fippy likes this.
  9. Mintalie Augur

Ha, like a mage? Took about 50 runs in Bixie to get the conjuration aug (Espionage Starts at Home) but about 120 runs in WK2 (The Other Brother) to get my evocation aug. :(
  10. Brohg Augur

Indeed, like mage. Magician/necromancer/druid all have strong lines in two specs. Shm too, but mostly I see them skipping the spec augs entirely (not sure I approve of that, and maybe it'll change with dottable mobs in TDS).
  11. silku Augur

Yay for 6 hour lockouts making these much easier to get, blah
  12. Mintalie Augur

As much as I vehemently oppose the lockout, xp nerfs, and other shenanigans that have currently affected the Fun Factor of EQ, in all fairness one needs only do the mission up until the named spawn point and then drop it. That's what I did. Never finished these except once for progression purposes.
    silku likes this.
  13. Moop New Member

For Splinter of Potency do the Life After Death HA. Drop task if named doesn't spawn and try again. Shouldn't take long.
  14. silku Augur

True, I tended to finish them before. Now I guess I"ll be dropping and recycling them.
  15. Silentchaos Augur

1 hInt = 21.25 mana. If youre trying to get the augs with the most mana (and you should) you can basically ignore anything without heroic intelligence.

If you have a type 8 shield or 2hander you can fit 2 symph augs in pri/sec. If you have a type 8 ranged item you can stick a silver tokens symph in it. Put as many of the best symphs in as you can, then put in splinter of potency, then fill the rest with the best mana augs you can get. Fin.
  16. Sancus Augur

Pretty sure you'll see a much larger return on Spell Damage augs than mana augs. You'll end up maybe 800 mana lower than you otherwise would have been, which is not a material benefit. Spell Damage does notably increase DPS, so at least personally I think you're better off with that.
  17. Brohg Augur

Underfoot sympathetic mana procs do not work on level 87+ spells.
  18. Maeryn Augur

And there is no UF Symp Mana proc that costs Silver Tokens (it's Gold).

Silver Token Symp augs have no level caps such as:

Sodkee's Sympathetic Stone Aug: 4 8 ID: 43954
    MAGIC LORE NO TRADE PRESTIGE
    Slot: Range, Primary, Secondary
    Focus Effect: Sympathetic Fire VI
    1: Cast: Fiery Strike VI on Spell Use (Base 10% Chance) e.g. Cast Time 2s=2.5% 3s=3.3% 4s=5.0% 5s=6.7%
    Required level of 80. Recommended level of 85.
    Class: CLR, DRU, SHM, NEC, WIZ, MAG, ENC, BST

[21552] Sympathetic Fire VI
    Target: Self
    Resist: Beneficial, Blockable: Yes
    Casting: 0s
    Duration: 03:15:00 (1950 ticks), Extendable: Yes, Dispelable: Yes
    1: Cast: Fiery Strike VI on Spell Use (Base 10% Chance) e.g. Cast Time 2s=2.5% 3s=3.3% 4s=5.0% 5s=6.7%
    2: Limit Type: Detrimental
    3: Limit Min Mana Cost: 10
    4: Limit Min Level: 70
    5: Limit Combat Skills: Exclude
    6: Limit Effect: Current HP
    Has a chance to strike your opponent with a fire attack each time you cast a damaging spell.

[6355] Fiery Strike VI
    Target: Single
    Range: 300'
    Resist: Fire -200
    Reflectable: No
    Casting: 0s
    1: Decrease Current HP by 225
    Text: Your flesh is seared by flames.

The Silver Token augs do have diminishing return issues as only one proc can fire per spell (more than one per cast is possible) so that 225dd Symp in your Range probably results in less damage by reducing the number of much larger procs from your Primary.

Just use raidloot.com: http://raidloot.com/Search.aspx?class=Wizard&type=Augmentation&augslot=7,8&order=Mana and you don't even have to think about Mana vs hInt since they do the math for you and augs are listed on the basis of considering both those stats.
  19. Narknon Augur

Mana is definitely the most important stat for wizards. Thats not really debatable in my opinion. After that, I personally go for AC and hAGI then SD after them, however, SD could be arguably more important after mana. Getting 2-3 more spells out per mana bar can be a gamechanger for a wizard, more so than an extra bit of damage per cast.
  20. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Unless you don't raid and burst damage is what you think a Wizard is for.