What is the difference between a "skilled" player and an "average" player?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Rizzin, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Claan Elder

Skilled player has a fridge, microwave, and pee bottle within reach of EQ gaming perch.

Average player goes AFK for these things.
    Mintalie, Gundolin, andross77 and 3 others like this.
  2. a_librarian Augur

Oh man, those spell effects. Thanks for sharing this
  3. Garcielle Journeyman

Skilled Players are the ones with muti-colored Armor, right?
  4. Whulfgar Augur

Average player's can do great things (in both raid / grp content) half of the time.
    (example)
    average tanks can hit mitigation disc's properly both raid / grp an can tank multiples with decent reaction time to grab mobs maby a grp member gets hit a few times or some one dies, then the tank gets ahold of that pesky varmint..

Skilled players can do great things (in both raid / grp content) the majority of the time.
    (example)
    skilled tanks do all proper mitigation disc's , as well as snap agro mobs before most people know they are even there .. (no one dies) as well as pushing the envelope of dps to the point they are literally doubling or tripling another tank's dps in the same situation.

Average players get good grps most of the time.

Skilled players get spammed grp invites soon as they get online.

the difference between average an skilled is not much. Just enough tho that each (class) know's who is an who is not better then who in their respective classes.

This is my thoughts.
    eqgamer likes this.
  5. Entice New Member

Skilled players are the ones you don't have to ask them to do something, they already know the fight, which spells to cast, to rebuff when someone dies, and actually let someone know when they afk =)
    eqgamer likes this.
  6. Sam Hyde "You're" on ignore

I always felt one thing separates the good from the average:

Never take 'no' for an answer.

Get the job done, no matter what. Keep going until you get it.

Once I decide to accomplish something, the only thoughts that follow is how to do it. Not whether it's do-able.
  7. Parkers Journeyman

That is called experience and courtesy, not skill.
  8. Parkers Journeyman

That is determination, not skill ;)
  9. Proutos New Member

Just 1 thing who maybe look stupid the 6 sec tick. I always stand up as soon as i get my mana and cast to sit immediately and got my mana almost immediately again so, mana, cast sit in less than 6 sec and you will get it again without loosing a tick. Maybe today it look ridiculous but in 1999 especially for a necro who get a lot of mana/tick was important. I saved many raid too with FD stand up circlet of shadow and rez. My best guild ever was Valon on Terris Thule with the best guild leader i ever had Videer (monk human).
  10. Mediik Augur

I feel like skilled\smart players only play for 6months out of the year then don’t show up until next expansion.
  11. Critts Augur

First person for life!! I don’t care if there’s an aura ,blobs, or a targeted ring...... no wait I take the targeted ring back.
    eqgamer likes this.
  12. Drogba Augur

mousewheel toggle first and third depending on situation ftw (r.i.p. F9 x3)
  13. Tucoh Augur

Ring of Valor has a lot of really skilled and high character people in it. I think EQ also has collected a large community of low-drama people, partially because just about all of us are older, but I think it's more because most of us really love and enjoy the game.
  14. Critts Augur

I’m not a leader of any guild, but I would think a “skilled” player would be one that can contribute as well as the best in their respective class or better. It’s my opinion that a class that a guild is not recruiting wouldnt take a player of that class unless they can preform as well as or better then members already playing those classes. There may be wiggle room in the class ie someone wants to play another class or someone is an that is causing issues with other players or a number of different reasons A guild leader at that point isn’t looking to fill seats rather to have a better roster. So they wouldn’t be looking for a first time raider that needs to learn the ropes they are looking for someone that can play ball.
  15. Natal Augur

A skilled player is someone who does exactly what you need done to maximise your performance. An average player, or unskilled player, is someone who does what is needed to maximise their performance.

That seems to be the general definition most people seem to have, based on my observations.