What is the difference between a "skilled" player and an "average" player?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Rizzin, Oct 18, 2018.

1. IblisTheMage Augur

Lols :)

GIVE ME LIVE STREAM NEWS OR I WILL EAT MY IPAD!
  2. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

I think TBL is code for The Bottom Line. And that the announcement will be like what happens in the the South Park Guitar Hero episode when Stan reaches one million points.

Prove me wrong!

Individually we are a weak like single twigs, are we not, FQCSancus?
  3. Elocar New Member

Good Player Criteria:
    1. Uses discord with push to talk and a headset
    2. Attacks the correct mob
    3. Shows up
    I see a lot of horrible leaders blaming players when things go bad. It's the leaders job to know the raid force and put people in a place to succeed or adapt strategy to what works for the current raid force.
  4. Mintalie Augur

Stanza was guild leader of Machin Shin back when I retired. I had played the game for 8 years at that point and had seen myriad guild and raid leaders. Stanza was exceptional at both. Guild leadership does play a huge role, in my experience.

That being said, if you're leading a guild with underperforming players and don't / won't / are unable to replace them for reasons X, Y, or Z, even the best leader is going to have a hard time. A lot of success in this game is about aptitude. Some people love the game with all their hearts but simply do not possess the aptitude to be a high end raider. And that's fine! That's why there are guilds for every skill level. Some people aren't meant to raid. Some don't enjoy it. Some love tradeskilling. Some love questing (eww, and yes, I recognize the irony).

The hardest thing to balance is finding people who share similar goals with similar skills, and in the end, that's what the end-game guilds usually thrive at doing.
  5. Feznik Elder

Depends on your definition of skill. If its reactionary play where it means you have to constantly think about every decision you make, this game doesn't have that once you've learned the mechanics of your class.

My personal feeling is if you want to play skill based games where the AI of the game, as well as the players you play with/against are required to have that type of reactionary skill you need to play MOBA or Battle Royale type games, as each game or instance is a whole new strategy.

In games like EQ you can teach anyone the mechanics of the class, and there is only 1-3 different ways to play that class, spell combos etc. Huge difference between autoattack type games vs other genre's that actually require skill and different strategies each time you play the game.

Even in raids, once you learn the raid mechanics in EQ there isn't much skill involved, its just execution. Not like that in MOBAs, every second your thinking on your feet.
    Eaedyilye likes this.
  6. segap Augur

Yep, being able to sit in a chat channel hearing people talk about their flatulence makes for a better player...
  7. gotwar Gotcharms

The mark of an excellent player is being able to consistently hit exactly 93k DPS.
  8. Warpeace Augur

I'm going to roll with the MT dying at 2% left on the same event time and time again. This also is a great sign of consistency, planning and team work...or plat and Krono may have crossed hands;) .
    Yinla, BadPallyGuildLeader and gotwar like this.
  9. Beimeith Lord of the Game

I'm so casual I'm retired.

I live now only to troll people with GamParse and get everything nerfed.

EVERYTHING.
    Metanis and Warpeace like this.
  10. Symbius Augur

[IMG]
  11. Mintalie Augur

You know you want to. Admit it!
  12. Tolzol Augur

But it’s so much more fun getting everything nerfed when your not retired and just an average player. ;)
  13. Aelen Augur

Leadership in general, not just this game, gets this treatment too often, and it isn't really true.

Leadership matters, and directing the force properly can impact things a lot.

But the way people think about it is far too heavily influenced by followers with an external locus of control, looking to put responsibility and blame elsewhere, and leaders with an overblown sense of self or desire to reap extra rewards deciding to take the responsibility and blame, conspiring to get people to believe what you're saying is true.

I'd hazard a guess that if you had the raid leads of the best and worst guilds in EQ switch places, the generally superior skill and self management of the top end would mean they'd still win things more easily than the low end guys with one good leader. Which shouldn't be surprising, by weight the guilds are still 98% the same as prior to the swap going by a size of 54.

A force with a tankline that can outaggro any DPS, enough DPS to drop an event in 5 minutes, and heals to cover more adds and AoEs than will even show up, has an inherent advantage over one that doesn't check any of those three boxes.

The general response at this point is more along the lines of "It's leaderships responsibility to replace or improve those weak players", but it's important to note that that really is still a problem residing in the players. Phrased differently, "It's leaderships responsibility to fix the problem with the players". Which loops back to what I said above, most people are looking to absolve themselves of responsibility, while a smaller group are looking to self aggrandize-typically.

Oddly enough I think a better parallel would be to "support" type roles in other games. Leaders can be an amplifier. The impact of that is shifted massively by what is there to amplify to begin with.
  14. segap Augur

Initially, yes. Over time, the better players will migrate towards the better leadership (or will replace the bad leader).
  15. Deathstroke Journeyman

Exceptional player : Went to getgood.com
    Skilled player : Didn't

Nah for real though the difference is simple.
    One person gives more of a Sh$t than the other.
    Effort is everything and keeps the game as enjoyable as possible.

Biggiesmallz
    Xegony
    Mintalie likes this.
  16. Aelen Augur

I would say that's generally been the history of guild consolidation across EQ's tenure. Only more generally, as in players moving towards the most successful groups when they can, rather than just toward a "better leader".

In this case I think the second option is what would more likely happen, replacing the bad leader. Since there is more skill collected in the upper tier guild, there are probably more people who can adapt to the leadership role. Since the generally successful guild is already collected together, they're unlikely to all slowly migrate toward the old leader where they'd more likely see at least a temporary drop in success.
  17. Intenso Augur

Dps dps and more dps
  18. Verily Tjark Augur

Obv average player.... e'erbody knows it's gitgud.com
    Deathstroke likes this.
  19. Kolani Augur

The really good players open the .ini files and change SUCK from NULL to OFF
  20. Deathstroke Journeyman

I'm on that next level below average
    Verily Tjark likes this.