What happened to the potion belt ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Zamiam Augur

I have not tried this yet but cant you name the hotbutton ?

*EDIT* *EDIT* yes you can name the "not found " hot key .. move cursor over Hkey right click and hold mouse button down for a sec till a drop down menu comes up then select Assign label. then just type in MoD Rod and viola .. also i'm pretty sure you can actually Assign it a graphic as well gonna test that out right now
    eqgamer likes this.
  2. Zamiam Augur

well seeing as most raiders dont care about my group game .. I really dont care about the Raiders part of the game ..
  3. Zamiam Augur

ok well ive had success in making a label of the *not found* Hkey so you can make it say MoD Rod or whatever you want .. Ive tried to assign it a graphic instead of make label you select Assign Icon and they do have a Mod Rod Icon , however I cant get it to actually show the icon once selected ..

*EDIT* ok after testing ive been able to assign it the Mod Rod Icon, however you cant see the Icon unless you physically pick up the Hkey button. I was also able to Label the Hkey ModRod .

ok also if you label the Hkey but you pick it up it erases the label so as long as you leave the Hkey where its at on your hotbar it will always say Mod Rod once the Rod is consumed all that is left is the label "Mod Rod" the icon is there but to see the Icon you have to physically pick up the HKey which in turn erases the Label .. thats the only downfall kinda a catch 22..

ok just did another test on invis potions .. bought 40 invis pots put them in my bags poped out a Hkey on the 1 stack of 20 placed it in my Hotbar and it actually showed that I had 20 in that stack clicked them all once i reached zero it registered that i had another 20 stack and re-filled in the Hkey button .. so potions in the Hotbar show the count of how many you have per stack and if you have more than one stack it will auto populate.. it does not show you your current count though so if you had 200 say invis pots it would only show you 20 at a time .. but i can live with that
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'm not most raids, I care a lot about the group game and spend more time doing group content than raiding.

My group chars have the same 4 banks of hotbars but half of them are empty, of course on a couple of these I also have the combat window to play with.

As you have tested there are workarounds for the items in the potion belt, but none of them are as effective as the potion belt itself. If we lose the potion belt I'm sure I'll cope I did in the past, but after this long using it I will miss it. For me the most annoying changes will be.

Not being able to drop items direct into the hot bar slot
    Not seeing how many charges left on a mod rod
    Not having a shadow to show what item I'm missing.
    Not seeing how many potions I have.
  5. Dewey Augur

The potion belt is useful and I hope it does not go away.

This is my go to place to instantly drop something into my inventory without opening anything or typing /auto inventory. This feature is very nice to have and useful.

If they do remove potion belts; then they should allow us to modify the hotbar's. So that we can have smaller or larger hotbars. The fact that every hotbar is 12 buttons is ridiculous. We should be able to make 2 button or 5 button or 15 button hot bars.

Anyways, I like the size and the easy, quick changeable contents of the potion belt. As a rogue I have many poison's on this belt, and would be sad to see it leave the game.
    xcitng, Moege and Perplexed like this.
  6. Ibadan Kun'Tirel Augur

Adding my voice that I am in favor of keeping the potion belt.
    xcitng likes this.
  7. Sancus Augur

Except that's not true:
    • The hotbar doesn't show charges on items with charges. Idgaf if you play casters, if you're trying to maximize your DPS that's information you need.
    • You cannot make macros that call specific hotbar spaces. As such you can no longer activate multiple potions/consumable items from the same macro.
    • You can only bind 1 item to a key now, unless the item is always in the same place, which consumable items are not (meaning /useitem is not helpful).
    • Hotbars don't allow you to autoinventory an item by placing it into its space on the hotbar.
    There are some other potion belt specific features listed in the OP too.

I get this is Forum Quest and it's fun to be contrarian, but it's really not relevant if you personally didn't make use of the potion belt features. The fact is it has features that hotbars don't, and others did use them.

No one is benefiting from the removal of the potion belt; the potion belt and 11 hotbars are not mutually exclusive. It's still somewhat baffling to me to remove a useful feature without a comparable replacement. It would be really nice to see the rationale behind the change.
    Evurkvest, Drogba, Yinla and 2 others like this.
  8. moogs Augur

Hopefully the start of (finally) consolidating and improving the user interface. I agree with the others that want to ensure that helpful features are not lost.
  9. Warpeace Augur

Is there a reason hot bars can not be given the same functionality as the potion belt?

This would solve many issues with removing the potion belt while increasing player options.
  10. Thoxsel Djess' Pet Warrior

Was far from playing forum quest. Was genuinely wondering as I didn’t see what I personally was missing and many in this thread didn’t even know you could place the item on the hot bar and it actually stays there and reappears if you run out and summon a new on same spot.

As for your points:
    The visible amount of charges left are nice to have, yes. Game breaking, no. Just quality of life. Can easily make a Gina trigger to count to 10 and tell you to cast your orb summon next spell sequence you do and /autoinv and continue. But yes I agree it would be nice for quality of life to have them add this to hotbars.

Binding one item to a key... yea. But you can bind the same key to several things so what is the issue? And like mentioned you can use a macro for where in inventory otherwise said item is. You can easily make a spot for your mod rod to always pop into during your regular gameplay, or your orbs etc.

Auto inventory. Ok so you like to drop your stuff into a spot. It’s ingrained in your muscle memory I’m sure after all these years. Now with this change it is asking you to simply press a button to /autoinv instead I guess as a solution. New and uncomfortable for muscle memory - yea I get that.

I hear your reasons. I just don’t think they are super strong in my eyes to get a dev to backtrack this removal, but that is only my opinion. Now I’m bound to get jumped again for the above but yea... it is just my personal view. Could they have left the potion belt there and also just given a hotbar? That would have been great. Then we’d still all be friends? :)
  11. Millianna Augur

The only reason I can think of is for the devs convenience. The whole odea of them removing it is absurd.
  12. Millianna Augur

Would you mind telling us why it’s being removed?
    Sancus likes this.
  13. Sancus Augur

Because downloading an external program to give functionality that already existed in game is a solution? And I use GINA a lot, and I have no clue how to make it count to 10. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but that functionality isn't exactly obvious either... Is it game braking? No. But why would a developer spend time removing a quality of life feature?

Except you can't. That's the whole point. Go ahead and try - bind two items to the same key. You'll notice it only casts one of the items, not both. And yes, /useitem works, but only if the item is always in the same place in your inventory. There's no way to easily place an item into the same inventory slot every time. /autoinventory only places it in the "highest" available slot, and if you loot anything it'll go into that slot. So no, you can't easily make a spot for your mod rod and have it always go there.

Except autoinventory only places the item in the top slot. It doesn't place it into the same slot it was in before.

And I understand and accept that there are significantly less efficient ways to kinda sorta accomplish similar things. It doesn't change the fact that we conveniently already have a solution to all of these problems... the potion belt. And I just can't see a defensible position for removing all of its QoL benefits.

If the potion belt had never existed, I suppose I could see it falling under the category of "yeah, that'd be nice, but it's probably not worth the time devoted to it." But the thing already exists, why on earth would the devs spend time removing it?
    Genoane and Thoxsel like this.
  14. Thoxsel Djess' Pet Warrior

I’m all about sharing thoughts, knowledge where I can, and such but I sadly don’t have an answer for you that I know as definite. Maybe we will be able to get one eventually from one of the lurking devs? Considering the amount of uproar (which I don’t share to 100% per my posts but acknowledge the points brought up...) that the removal of the potion belt has caused. I’m guessing now that I can’t answer your question will lead you to post that since I don’t have a good reason, then there is no good reason for removing it... and you all may be right! Until then, let’s see what the devs say.
  15. Thoxsel Djess' Pet Warrior

I guess I’m missing some min-maxing effects of times I should be clicking two items at the exact same time. If that is the case then I stand corrected entirely and of course I should start also implementing that.

The auto inv thing is an annoyance when looting things in group that is correct. On raid not. But yea the quality of life is certainly lost with the loss of potion belt.

Now stop giving good reasons so you convert my entire view please and start chanting potion belt over and over? Haha I guess I’m helping strengthen the “keep potion belt alive” arguments and such for devs to chime in and throw that potion belt back into the UI? :) Glad my “forum quest” accomplished something for once then!
    Sancus likes this.
  16. Gorfdp New Member

Why ? Don't touch the potion belt please !!
  17. Pistols4Pandas Elder

You get the feeling reading this thread, that the posters arguing against the necessity of the potion belt are just DBG employees justifying a change they made while not understanding how it would effect the game.

And now that they've spent money doing it for whatever reason, they don't want to spend money undoing it.

There is no good reason why any player would want it removed.
  18. strongbus Augur

I just wish they would say why they removing it. Cause I can not see any good reason. Not unless they going make the hotbars work the same way as the PB
  19. Nennius Curmudgeon

You have a gift for comedy.
  20. Millianna Augur

Just leave the potion belt.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.