What happened to the potion belt ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Warpeace Augur

Is there a reason players are not gaining potion belt functionality on Hot bars while giving up the potion belt in this UI change?

Sure im getting another hot bar with 12 buttons and 10 pages but the functionality lost from the potion belt is crazy.
    Yinla likes this.
  2. Geroblue Augur

Sadly, I've never used the potion belt. i just keep a deluxe toolbox with potions in it open. Instead of 2, I get 10.
  3. Gafgarion Elder

This change is truly mystifying. Please don't go through with this; it's clear to anyone who actually plays this game that this is a huge step back. And for what? Why unravel a QoL item that has been in the game for more than a decade? The Hotbar addition is no substitute.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  4. moogs Augur

Since you can use items from hotbars now, you could close your toolbox and have 12 buttons for potions rather than 10. The main benefit would be that you could use a much higher capacity container and put the deluxe toolbox in your bank.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  5. Febb Augur

6. IblisTheMage Augur

7. Eanelder Augur

Tracked Internally: Steps to reproduce the issue have been confirmed internally, and have been sent off to the development team for work.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  8. Cicelee Augur

This is what angers me the most. Not that something gets changed. But that there are no reasons given as to why it was changed. The player base is not six years old where a parent can just say "Because I say so" and the child just goes along with it. It would be nice to at least have an explanation for the change.

Furthermore what is worse is that in multiple threads that discuss the potion belt (along with other things), developers have gone into those threads and answered and given reasons as to why certain things are (life draw, anniversary tasks, TLP AOC, etc). So it shows developers *are* reading the thrrads, they are *choosing* not to respond to the potion belt questions.

Why can't we get an answer as to why potion belt is being removed? I am not asking for it to be reversed, that window of opportunity seems to have passed. But at least throw us a bone and say why...
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare, Ladene and Lorai like this.
  9. Sancus Augur

Anyone remember Roshen's July patch preview for the patch that gutted rains that didn't even mention rains?

[IMG]
    Spellfire and Koryu like this.
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I haven't seen the patch notes yet. Was it still on there?
  11. ShadowMan Augur

The best guess I heard is one or some of the various functions the potion belt did that hot bars currently don't was causing issues behind the scenes.

Its just like how ending swarming was going to fix server lag! Ignore that the past few weeks have made RoS raids absurdly laggy.
  12. Arcos Lorekeeper

Possible Reasons:

A) Actually it is necessary as a step in the process of completely redesigning the EQ User Interface.
    Everyone is gobsmacked at the possibilities and cheering is heard throughout the land.

B) A sad but necessary change due to some obscure bit of code that is causing problems now.
    So we sadly bid a fond farewell and spend time trying to fix our now screwed up UIs.

C) A developer who does not actually play EQ thought it was nothing more than a 5 slot hot bar and wanted to do us all a favor by giving us more hot bar slots.
    Not really a good justification for removing a useful object and messing up countless UIs.

D) At the monthly meeting and potluck for the DBG Satan Worshiping and Player Hating Developer's Club they hit "Potion Belt" when they threw the dart. (Full Disclosure: The first dart actually hit "Necros" but they were unable to find anything left to nerf so they gave themselves a "do over").
    If this is the case then at least there are a few who are happy with the outcome.

Arcos
  13. Dart Lorekeeper

I don't even understand the purpose of test at this point...

Their own beta server is good enough to prove that changes don't break the game when making changes.

So if the purpose of Test is to have people you know... test... provide constructive feedback....which allows the devs to evaluate the changes, the feedback, and MAKE changes before going live...

But instead what is actually happening is they make a change, there is testing by people on Test and those checking out the change, and there is A LOT of feedback from people reading the test patch notes and also checking it out. Problem is there is NO changes made and the patches get pushed to Live, and then we have to wait a month for the next patch to fix the patch that we all knew was not correct.

Then to top it off, we get things like the potion belt change, where they refuse to answer / address questions about it, and they gave us the absolute minimum of notes for other than its being removed and the AAs refunded.

Obviously by all the posts, it is a highly valued tool that is used by a high percentage of players, and which has no equivalent for the features it has (and which an 11th tool bar does not replicate or replace).

If its a performance thing or other reasons, list that or at the very least respond and let the players know that you aren't just intellectually challenged making a change like this... just because.

This current team is the ALL TIME worst I've ever seen (minus Ngreth) with regards to communicating, and not having to do 3 patches over 3 months to "fix the fix of the fix to the fix". Its appalling how bad it has been lately.
  14. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

To me, the potion bar filled two good requirements.

One was the "feel" or "lore" of the game. Your character actually has loops on their belt that hold potions (or other items). When you get a magic raid belt, the magic in it allows you to hold an additional item in the same space.

The other one is the practical purposes of the potion belt, which are many. Another hot bar does not replace it.

So we have something that both enhances the feel of the game and the user interface.

And now it is removed for a reason only Daybreak knows and is not sharing with us. There has been more than enough time and player responses to the issue for the developers to be well aware that we want it to remain and we are puzzled (to put it mildly) why it is being removed.

Yet still no response from Daybreak.

Really, guys, just admit you made a choice which was not optimal and put it back in.
    Caell and Dart like this.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

We gave you feedback which you totally ignore, you don't even have the courtesy to answer with a reason why it is being removed.

I'm done testing and giving any feedback on anything.

How do you cancel a forum account?
    Strumph and Dart like this.
  16. keviin101higuys Lorekeeper

17. Warpeace Augur

kizant, Sheex and Quatr like this.
  18. Rhayzer TheTrickster Lorekeeper

How does a hotbar number 11 help my potions?
  19. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Cancelling my 37 gold and 15 silver accounts in protest. Player since 1978.
    Elricvonclief, Numiko, Daedly and 2 others like this.
  20. Niskin Clockwork Arguer