What did you change with the Patcher that is effecting windows stacking

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Coruth, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Blacksun Elder

Someone make a .reg file and post it! Although this is very straightforward and simple (thanks for the write up), I'm sure there are some out there that don't want to use regedit.

If you want, this should work:

Copy the following into a text file and name it "eq.reg". Then run it from where you saved it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\eqgame.exe]
    "IsHostApp"=""
    BlankStare_001 likes this.
  2. Toquillaw Augur

Thanks! I used this, and everything is working great now.
  3. Piestro Augur

Hey folks,

This one is a bit of a stumper. We're not 100% sure what caused this change, it could have been a number of factors. Unfortunately this means we also don't have an immediate resolution. Some folks have posted workarounds, however please use them at your own risk; we cannot endorse any of them specifically.

This is something we may potentially look at later on down the road, no immediate plans however.

Strangely the inability to re-order EQ windows has always been true for JChan and myself.

Thanks,
    Tarvas and jarsh92 like this.
  4. Bareldi New Member

Just to confuse things a bit more... on my win7 system, multiple EQ windows used to have separately movable taskbar icons most of the time, but once in a while I would see two lumped together. Not often, and not associated with anything I could identify, but it did happen more than a couple of times. Logging out and back in would usually separate them, with NO change to windows or to EQ. So it seems that this behavior can be affected by some subtle run-time variable, with no code changes at all. Very strange, and it makes it seem less likely that the devs can easily pin it down even if they try... we are probably stuck with the workarounds.
  5. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

This happened to me on rare occasions as well. Not enough to really worry about back then though.
  6. Ruction New Member

Annoyingly, that reg edit didn't work for me =/
  7. Eshu New Member

Thank you, Skelld, for the regedit fix! This worked for me as well. Very glad to be able to rearrange my windows again.

+1 sir!
  8. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

So, question for the devs... will running EQ with a window message debugger get me banned for hacking? I have some contacts on the WIndows Shell (aka Explorer) team, but I want to give them full information...
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I had this problem also though since I set up this computer new I figured it was something I had inadvertantly done. Glad to know it wasnt. I disabled grouping of tasks but may try some of the work arounds. Should be patched though.

Other issue I have is that each time I log a new toon on the same computer in I have to restart station launcher to get rid of the "Playing" status on the log in button. So my process is log in a toon, switch to next toon to log in (button still says Playing and not Play), restart launcher (button now says play), log that toon in and so on and so on. I used to be able to keep launcher loaded and just log in toon after toon without restarting it.
  10. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

For the devs, the relevant MSDN article is:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd378459(v=vs.85).aspx

Highlights:

"Some applications do not declare an explicit AppUserModelID. They are optional. In that case, the system uses a series of heuristics to assign an internal AppUserModelID."

That means Windows guesses if/how windows are grouped. the exact criteria are not specified, so hard to know what change caused the behavior change, however:

"When an application uses multiple processes, apply the AppUserModelID to each process. Whether you use the same AppUserModelID on each process depends on whether you want each process to appear as part of the main application or as individual entities."

it can be explicitly controlled.