What classes get "block" abilities and/or AAs?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Jonny Panic, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Fenudir Augur

Keep this up and I'm going to have to start liking you. ;)
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  2. Laronk Augur

You should give berserkers an aa where they cant drop below 1hp for 24 seconds regardless of the type or amount of damage they take. Now that would be a proper berserker defensive AA
    Obiziana likes this.
  3. Wayylon Augur

An AA that gives Berserkers 100k hp and a flat Dmg bonus for a minute or two, followed by a brief period of being winded... similar to D&D Barbarian Rage ability.
    Lisandra likes this.
  4. Norathorr Augur

Passive mitigation would be better. Enough cheesy clicky abilities already!
    Fenudir, Elricvonclief and Wayylon like this.
  5. Elricvonclief Augur

Elidroth, thank you for posting. It's a very nice change to see more responses from the folks with red names.:p

and I agree, more passive mitigation would be great!
    Fenudir likes this.
  6. Laronk Augur

Really you'd see less total benefit out of a passive mitigation buff than a click ability that does a lot. Unless the passive mitigation is set too high at which point why do you need tanks? Like a Tank merc should tank better than a zerker.

Think up something that's going to potentially help your class out lots and maybe fits with the class. Like mine and the other suggestion above the zerker goes " RAWRRRR" and hits things and doesn't worry about dying which goes more with what Elidroth said. A mitigation buff is very vanilla, not fun and really probably won't net you much of an increase.
  7. Fenudir Augur

Speaking for myself, I don't want to have anywhere near the ability to tank that the three tank classes have - or even a monk, for that matter. That kind of survivability would only be held against ups when the topic of DPS comes up (and our #1 priority as zerkers should be dps).
  8. Xicon Journeyman

I just hope if they up Mitigation on Zerkers its over what Rangers have, I mean really a tree hugger should be less then a DPS machine raving fighter like Zerkers are.
  9. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Yeah. Purely an opinion, as is yours, but my feeling is more melee-based DPS than ranger and roughly equal mitigation.
    They're both child classes of warriors, though berz has no other "parent" class. However, if the dev stance is less evasion, then the desparity should be made up in equivalent mitigation (which does line up with your opinion, I suppose). The three aspects need to hold a banance. Like rangers, the DPS aspect needs to outweigh defensive, which narrows the balance a bit. Of course, the _main_ aspect was addressed earlier.. If you can't survive the hit, the DPS aspect means nothing.
    For ease (example only), say 60/40 split, DPS/DEF.
    RNG: 20/20 MIT/EVA
    BRZ: 25/15 or 30/10 MIT/EVA
  10. Moklianne Augur

lol, dev time over the years differs from this statement.
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  11. Ronthorn Oakenarm Augur

Ranger Avoidance is no better then Berserker Avoidance atm we Parry Better and they Reposite Better, our defensive skill is the same, the only difference is Rangers have a higher softcap and return. On Blue con mobs i seen Berserkers tank much better then me though if they are able to stun, So there are plus's and Minus's to both sides. They burst far greater then a Ranger could and there sustained is close to equal, they actually buff a group much better then a Ranger with Berserker Aura (probable more for the group then Ranger buffs on a entire raid). Changes to classes need to factor in all these things as it is with TDS the Ranger class is sinking fast! We are going to be lowest Burst on Raids lowest Sustained on Raids and it does not look to much better for Group non Raid Geared Rangers.

Rangers have one Disc Choice every 20 minutes and a bunch of AA that provide 1/4 to half the gains of other Classes DPS type AA provide, I got beat on some Burst fights (doing group progression content) by a Enchanter (A Great Enchanter) with Activatable AA running (not saying its wrong for a chanter to beat me in group content but just pointing this out).
  12. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

My point, I suppose, was that if berserker mit was increased, ranger avoidance should be increased comparably.
    They're both child classes of warriors. As far as DPS goes, that is merely that berserker melee should be higher (full amount) where rangers have a split with melee, magic, and some extra utility.... not that DPS should be adjusted, moreso that rangers, like rogues, should situationally/optimally be top, but should average with Berserkers overall. (Berserker would Have steady data points, Ranger would have peaks and lulls depending, but similar avgs)
  13. gcubed Augur

I don't know what game you are playing, but it isn't mine. "some extra utility"? A group ranger pretty much loses all "utility" once they enter the higher zones of an expansion. Ranger "utility" is like rogue "utility". Rogues are the best class for picking up ground spawn Collectables (now, THERE is a claim to "utility" fame if I ever saw one).

Currently group rangers and group berserkers are in the same boat when we enter an expansion's higher zones. We live in a world where a fully AA'd, fully leveled, well geared, group tank gets one rounded regularly. At least the tank, stays in one piece. Anyone that is not a plate tank gets turned into a fine red mist the first time they get hit. Bumping up berserker (or anyone else's, for that matter) mitigation is meaningless in that environment unless SOE boost it to plate tank levels (which we know they won't do). Bumping up a ranger's (or anyone else's) avoidance isn't going to change anything unless SOE boosts it to 100% (this is even less likely than non-tanks getting plate tank mitigation).

This is an environment where you are doing one of three things: Tanking (plate tanks, only), Healing (priests, only) or DPSing (everyone else), because everything out there is immune to lulls, snare, root, mezz, charm, stun and all the other cute "utility" abilities.
    Wayylon likes this.
  14. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

I threw in "and some extra utility" because it is there. Wether or not it is viable in a given setting is moot. The same can be said for any hybrid's "extra utility"
  15. gcubed Augur

The very definition of "utility" centers around the word "useful". While many of these abilities were once useful (and therefore were utilities), they no longer are useful and therefore are not utilities. People point at certain abilities like they have meaning and imply value. Maybe I should point to the fact that druids can cast a pet and then sit down and watch it kill a moss snake. That may have been useful at one time to you and other druids and was utility back then, but it is pure fluff now. But according to you, people should mention druid bear pets as if they had some meaning every time druid abilities are discussed.
  16. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Hey now! BooBoo's haste got fixed. He can kill a Large Rat again!

I'm saying it shouldn't be ignored. How much weight is given to it is another matter.
    I wouldn't class ranger HP buffs at the same level as the predator line. However, if your group didn't have cleric or druid buffs availible (yes, sonewhat moot since SoD and mercs now) it is/was a viable choice.

It isn't black and white, so you can't simply discount a utility (or any other ability for that matter). They need to be acknowledged and weighed accordingly.
  17. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I should not have said any caster who uses a two hander is a fool. I realized that when it was too late to edit my post.

I've been told the following:

If Staff Block is greater than Shield Block plus the AC you get from a shield as far as survival goes, then it is better. But I have not heard that. So if it is true please let us know.

Again, sorry for using the word "fool" in there as well as some of my other things. My bad.
  18. gcubed Augur

I am sorry, but it is hard to weigh anything that has less mass than a neutrino without some very advanced equipment. And ranger HP buffs? What level are you 30? Even without mercs nobody above level 75 that has any intelligence will even zone into the lobby from the guildhall with ranger HP buffs.
    Wayylon likes this.
  19. Norathorr Augur

I can see where you are coming from, but I would like to go back to the position for a berserker when I started, where we were almost expected to pull aggro sometimes and when we did we could take a smack or two before the tank could take aggro back. I used to be able to tank in a passable way in group situations, although it was hard on end as I would use stun alot. I was known to be a ghetto tank till a real one arrived and that to me was my utility outside my main job. How the berserker class used to be represented was how I loved to play. If I knew that all my gear would essentially equate to nothing in terms of protecting me, I would never have rolled as a berserker. I never viewed myself as a weakling, rather a tough reckless melee fighter that did not mind taking a smack, but was not equipped to take really really big smacks. Uncanny used to be my panick button and if I could not survive through that too bad, though it often bought me time.

While I agree that as we stack more dps we should take more damage and suffer more defensively, in our innate state we should not be near the bottom of the pile in terms of mitigation. As for raid mobs one rounding people, I do not have a problem with that if its due to not controling aggro. If it is from AE ramp I take exception to that, as with mob push and knockbacks its something we can sometimes do nothing to avoid short of not hitting anything.
  20. Engineer Augur

Hey, don't forget rangers get sow and zerkers don't. That ought to be worth a few more paragraphs of nonsense.