What classes get "block" abilities and/or AAs?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Jonny Panic, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Jonny Panic Augur

I know tanks get shield block AAs, monks get a Block skill, pajama casters get shield and staff block AAs... what all classes get some form of block ability?

I'm not referring to dodge/parry/riposte skills or discs, vies, runes, anything like that... just "block" skills and AAs.
  2. Bangzoom Lorekeeper

Rangers get shield block, although not as many levels of it as other classes.
  3. Wayylon Augur

Every class except Berserker I believe.
  4. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

Rogues have Shield Block AA, but no actual block skill in our window. We're not 100% sure it works for us. Our Blade Shield AA WAS a block thing, but since we don't have a block skill, it wasn't working. It was switched to Parry during beta, and should be patched in tomorrow.
  5. gcubed Augur

It really doesn't matter who gets "block" skills and who doesn't. More and more mobs are getting 100% or near 100% strikethrough now. Even in the group content you will find them and not all of them are "named".

Avoidance and the associated skills/abilities are a thing of the past.
  6. Riou EQResource

The Devs have plans to fix this bug and go back to old ways where avoidance does matter
  7. gcubed Augur

They better do it fast. I don't know which mob was the first strikethrough zombie. I also don't know if patient zero was intenionally engineered in SOE's mob genetics lab or was an accident that managed to escape into the general mob population in the wild. What I do know is that the infection is spreading (probably through copy/paste and not bites). If the fix doesn't occur soon, we are going to be facing a strikethrough zombie apocalypse.
    Edrick, Elricvonclief, Tarvas and 3 others like this.
  8. Riou EQResource

Well Dzarn's raid Tower of Rot was one that respected your avoidance skills, I'm not sure if the ones after that do too or still in their "broken" state
  9. Wayylon Augur

I've always thought it was comical that Cloth casters have learned to block with a 2 handed weapon while the thought to do so has never occurred to the Berserkers/Warriors etc of Norrath.
  10. Khoza Augur

Monks and beastlords are the only classes to get the Block skill. (Used to be just Monks, stupid moon and its stupid hybrids.)
    The Shield Block AA is now shared by, IIRC, everyone except berserkers and Monks.
    Staff Block was originally a Monk AA, which was given to Nec, Wiz, Ench, and Mag in... VoA I think.
    Shaman, Druid, and Cleric get Staff Block as of TDS.
  11. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

If I recall correctly, Staff Block takes a two handed weapon. According to what I know about AC any caster who uses a two hander rather than a shield is a fool. Because shield AC is the most important AC.

Now, he says "traditional wisdom", which is not an endorsement of it, just him saying that is what people believe. However, the figures he gives seem to indicate shield AC is, for a priest / caster, the most important AC you can have. (Note: I have not really looked at the calculations, so I could be totally wrong).

My druid does not even own a modern two hander and priest ones usually go to minor characters or rot when they drop on raids. In fact, it is rather annoying that a loot table spot is wasted on them.

So unless I'm totally wrong or some changes have been made by SOE, Staff Block is worthless for casters / priests.

But, sure, why not give it to everyone? You don't have to buy it.
  12. code-zero Augur

Staff Block on silkies can fire a lot
  13. Fenudir Augur

On that note, since we're supposed to take the damage and ignore it (or, more appropriately, the pain of it), how about we get better mitigation then. Personally, I'm getting very tired of mobs constantly hitting me for max damage.

And before you decide to bring up Juggernaut's Resolve (Tied for worst idea with last expansions BP clicky), I'd like to be able to take one or two hits. Just long enough for the tank to snag the mob back.
  14. Maeryn Augur

Taking the damage and not caring except when you use your Fade ability is the Berserker thing. Asking the same Dev who gave them Fade to also give them a Block ability makes a lot of sense, since that Dev clearly only applies lore when it's a convenient way to defend a design decision.

They also have Uncanny Resilience and possibly other AA I can't think of off the top of my head, let alone being collectively included in Combat Agility/Stability and other non-class AA. There wasn't even any emphasis on lore in design decisions for AA for Berserkers before you were the AA Dev.
  15. Fenudir Augur

I have to say that I don't have a problem with not having block. I'm actually with Eli on the idea of zerkers not taking the time to block anything. What we should have is far superior mitigation to what we have now. That would fit very well with our lore.
    Norathorr likes this.
  16. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

How about an innate ability that goes like the more damage you take the more powerful your dps becomes? None of that silly "I must be at 90% to use x ability" stuff. Mitigation is for wuss's and rangers.
  17. Fenudir Augur

Back in the day when damage was slower, this would have been a good idea. We actually have an AA that increased our over haste based on how much damage we had taken with it topping out when we were at at 20% health. In today's much faster game, this isn't a viable idea anymore. Raid buffed (CotF) I tip the AC scales at just over 11K and a group mob can and will whack me for better than 50% of my hp sometimes. Forget raid targets. Most times, the only way I know I got hit is that I'm sitting in hover mode.

As for the 90% health thing, I'm one of the staunches proponents for eliminating it along with the $@#^$$^%^ blind and root we have to deal with that is soooooo 2002.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  18. Maeryn Augur

Sure, don't get block, but to be accurate instead of saying "no, lore" answer "no, the team is satisfied with the current frontal melee survival of the class" or "no, frontal melee survival is being addressed by a different method".

Stating lore is the reason is no different from parents telling their kids to clean their room or Santa won't come. Not getting block or that you need to clean your room is the only important message but at some point once you're no longer dealing with 5 year olds stop claiming lore/Santa is the reason.
  19. Obiziana Augur

I liked back in the day when your warrior got below 20% (wasn't it?) he started landing crippling blows. This reminds me of what a zerker should be doing. But as stated above, it's just not realistic with the way mobs deal damage anymore.
    Fenudir and Wayylon like this.
  20. Wayylon Augur

Ya, nowadays warriors/berserkers don't have a chance to go into a frenzy, if you have agro you're either being spam healed or dead.
    Fenudir likes this.