Update on Server Merges + FAQ

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Apr 29, 2020.

1. IcebergDX Lorekeeper

Dude, put down the booze bottle and crack pipe. The reality is, we will be lucky to have a mostly functional game by Thursday afternoon. There is going to be at least a half a dozen bugs, I am willing to bet at least 50-100 ACTIVE characters vanish, and the forums will be screaming for blood.

Friends don't let friends drunk/drugged post on forums...
  2. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

50 xp bonus > roleplay elvish language

learning elvish is very quick and not sure why fv is roleplay hardly anybody at does that anymore. FV should just be labeled Free Trade. Its a good server just laggy but maybe fv is just getting to big /shrug

Andarriel

ps ever need help with languages just send me a tell and ill spam you to death haha.
    Pelrond likes this.
  3. Qbert Gallifreyan

Bonus experience sucks, I wish I could opt out. The game is not robust enough to be played at an accelerated rate of experience.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Pelrond like this.
  4. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

yea I could care less but someone was talking about the bonus. I enjoy FV I came from the tribunal no regrets not sure why so many rank on it.

Andarriel
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  5. Herf Augur

If Elvish is needed to effectively communicate, during the merge they can just put all the newbies Elvish Skill to 100. Problem solved.

Of course then people like me, who never plays Elves (because they're racist bastages), would probably whine about not being given a choice of which other language to learn :)
  6. Deddentd Journeyman

I really wish they would address your question, as I want to bplay, and don't see why I should ber shut out if its just so sthey can merge other servers
  7. CrazyLarth Augur

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=24377
    Firiona Vie
    - This server will have a permanent 50% experience bonus.

8. MiataDriver Augur

It was answered...

9. Aalelan New Member

damn it sounds like the 58 people on brekt are pissed
    Herf likes this.
  10. Lots of meats New Member

When I payed to have a character transferred all the overseer quests/characters disappeared and I had to start over. It kept the currency but basically made me start from scratch. Hopefully a fix has been implemented, or expect alot to complain!
  11. Velikovsky New Member

Will the 20th anniversary TLP's be brought up before the 24 hour dt is over.
  12. andromeda New Member

Tip about languages, which may or may not have already been shared in this thread: You can teach them to yourself by popping a merc. Just learn 1 point in each language from the trainer (actually I'm not even sure if that's necessary), then pop a merc and spam the language in group chat.

It's a little annoying, but you can easily get to 100 in every language in about 30 minutes.

Regarding the toxic community on FV, I've played there on and off for years and this is the first I've heard of it lol. I didn't know that it was laggy either. But then, when I'm not on FV I'm on TLPs, and maybe they also lag /shrug. I just thought it was normal. Lately there's been a little lag with bazaar searches, but that seems to be due to the unusually high number of people playing right now.

Anyway, happy to see all the new faces coming over from Brekt :).
    Herf and IKkrow like this.
  13. Buster_Shruggs Augur

I'm hoping the actual merge and patch are complete and all they will doing for the next 12+/- hours is fixing bugs,...etc. It would be nice if they could post an update on how its going. So far so good? Might be longer than 24hrs? See you next week?
    lockjaws likes this.
  14. Ecidew Journeyman

Lets just merge everyone into a single server !!

Opps .. did I say that out loud?? ... Did Daybreak hear it ??.... OMG !!!! .. WE are Doomed !!
    lockjaws likes this.
  15. andromeda New Member

If they were just doing server merges then I doubt it would be a 24 hour window. My guess is that they are also upgrading the physical servers/VMs that the game servers and databases are hosted on.

If so, that type of move requires a lot of time. You might need to have your network engineers re-route traffic to the new servers, your database administrators validate the integrity of the new databases, your datacenter technicians make any physical changes that weren't able to be done before the work window, your server admins verify that the servers are operating as planned, etc.

Ideally that would all go well, but in reality it never does. So your devs have to test, test, test, and then do more testing.

Then you have to give yourself extra time to rollback all the changes in case everything goes to hell and it just doesn't work.

Disclaimer: I've never worked on Daybreak products and I don't know what exactly they have to do. I've just done a lot of these types of changes :). We need to cut these guys some slack. Major upgrades never go smoothly, no matter how hard you plan.
  16. Flat Toad Elder

As a mere froglok lad afloat in a basin of humang idiocy, I mostly just observe and chuckle...this time tho, I'll quietly note that in times of economic upheaval, political opportunism and general nuttiness, common folk tend to seek escape from reality; Historically, cinema, theatre...even (GASP!) reading those book thingies gain significantly in popularity.
    Today, that would translate into higher internet activity; i.e. One might expect significant growth in EQ's population...yet DarkPaw appears chained to consolidation mode. The 4-letter word of the day? D-U-M-B.
  17. Watcha New Member

This is an outrage. I took a week off from work just to play /gems. I demand a weekend of double /gems!!
    Herf and andromeda like this.
  18. Buster_Shruggs Augur

We have a winner! who was it that called the +6 hours ? lol
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Current server downtime has been extended 6 hours to 4 PM PDT. We will update that ETA if there is more news.

:(.......................................:( ....................................:(
  20. Zykus New Member

There has got to be a better way. I'm sure shutting the entire game down for multiple days is the best option ....