Unsolved Mysteries

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Krogoth, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Prathun Developer

You can keep asking, but I'll keep saying the same thing. :cool:

July 2004, in response to questions about the Rivervale Shakey scarecrow quest:
    Well, the Shakey quest is several years old and the designer who began it is long gone. It's partially implemented with no concrete indication of how it's supposed to end. There's no original reward to compare to.

July 2013, in response to questions about the GBS quest:
    Looks like the Glowing Black Stone is the item required to complete the quest described as "APPQuestJohnC" The "APP" prefix means it was created by a design apprentice who was tinkering with the tools and learning the game. This isn't a quest that can actually be completed.

February 2014:
    Any quest of consequence that can reasonably can be completed has already been completed. Any quest in the DB that hasn't been completed is far more likely placeholder data, or apprentice test data, or incomplete than a fully realized quest.

February 2017, in response to questions about the McVaxius and Selo's instrument quest(s):
    The quest(s) that require those items are not attached to an NPC and the NPC they're meant to be attached to doesn't spawn, so the quest(s) cannot be completed. As with the restored Kunark quests, it looks like there is enough information that this could be restored for a future update. Thank you for pointing this out.

April 2017:
    In fifteen years, I have never found a legacy quest that could reasonably be completed that had not yet already been completed. I have found a number of quests that were partially implemented or otherwise broken that could not be completed. For example, the Kunark quests that were restored and added on Feb 15th of this year.
    fireworks, Skuz, jeskola and 6 others like this.
  2. Machentoo Augur

I've been generally defending you in this thread, but a 9 year gap from 2004 to 2013 isn't exactly making your case here. Period.
    Prathun likes this.
  3. Prathun Developer

9 whole years of credibility down the drain. :(
    Jennre, Rouan, Fanra and 1 other person like this.
  4. Treesong Elder

I would pay for an expansion that would take every loose clue, mystery item and unfinished quest line and finished it in a satisfactory manner, in the spirit of the original game. That would mean crappy rewards, but that's ok. :) I would also hope that these finished quests would use very few [bracketed] keywords, so that we have to keep fishing for clues again. This would mean it also takes about a week longer before everything is solved. ;)

One of my best moments in EQ was when I discovered a new quest through an unbracketed keyword back in Freeport in '99. It was the follow up for the Militia Helm quest, and you had to have high enough faction else you did not get the follow up.

As to the quests that I would like to see finished, the Jale Phlintoes Quest would be highest on my list. Many threads have been written about this Leader of the UNkempt Druids, it is possible to actually spawn this guy but unfortunately, Gerael Woodrone in Surefall Glade is still waiting for his head (that he does not drop when you kill him).

Anyway, this would not make any money for DBG but it sure would make me happy! :D
    Prathun likes this.
  5. Deadshade Augur

EQ was inspired by the MUDs and it shows in the quests from Classic through Velious .

- a huge amount of dialogues - almost every NPC has something to tell you
    - trigger words (not always bracketted)
    - importance of factions
    - quest NPC that are (rare) spawns
    - quest items that are (rare) spawns
    - convoluted storyline

This was for me the biggest charm of (classic) EQ . Norrath was full of meaningful stories and solving a quest, even relatively minor, always gave a feeling of achievement .

Unfortunately this got lost after Velious in EQ and other MMOs never even started to have complex and meaningful quests . Perhaps Pantheon will be a revival of consistent worlds which are fun to be explored .
    Like the OP I would also like that the many broken/unfinished/bugged quests be fixed even if it would not do much money . I am practically sure that there are enthousiasts out there who would finish them for free if they could access the code and the DB .
  6. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

I don't understand you people sometimes. This literally just happened a few months ago for some kunark quests. The Devs have shown that they are willing and able to work on these things, just not exclusively. Be happy with what you've gotten, what you will eventually get. Be patient, say thank you. If you want to get under the hood and program your own quests, go ask the devs on p99 or one of the other server. Daybreak will never let you in their garage.
  7. MaestroM Augur

I'd really be interested in reading more about these newly added/fixed kunark quests. Do you (or anyone) have a link to more information?
  8. Malokhan Elder

9. MaestroM Augur

10. Malokhan Elder

From everything I've read, I believe they are on all servers that have Kunark unlocked. So once it unlocks on Agnarr, we should be able to do them.
  11. MaestroM Augur

The itemization on the monk items is a little weird. The human 1hb is more defensive and the iksar 1hb is more offensive. I guess this was to try to help equalize the racial differences?
  12. mackal Augur

From what I understand, those quests had basically been documented what should be going on, just never finished/bug tested. Where the remaining broken/unfinished quests don't have anything or any clue of how they should resolve.
  13. Brumans Augur

Itemization was crap for many years on most things, heh.
  14. Wispur Elder

I still want to know what the floating lights are in the Southwest corner of Western Commons.

I haven't found any mention of them online anywhere.
  15. MaestroM Augur

Dear Michael's Shenanigans,

Where is your next EQ mysteries video? We need it. Deliver. Now plz.

Love,
    Us.
    Brumans likes this.
  16. Prathun Developer

Newp. There was zero documentation for the Kunark quests. I pieced together what (probably) was meant to happen using the NPC dialogues that were still intact and bits of the content that used to exist or still existed. But a ton of data was missing. And the data that did exist was odd, like the prefixes for filenames and descriptions of steps of the quests that started in Firiona Vie were all FV* even if that step of the quest didn't occur in Firiona Vie, so digging was required. Knowing what I know now, Dajrool was probably meant to spawn in Nurga or Droga, for example.

Restoring the quests was 3-4 weeks of design archaeology to figure out if the items had ever dropped, what should drop them, where it should spawn, guessing what the NPC name should be based on limited information, figuring out how to handle the drop in cases where the zone had multiple versions, updating the rewards, hooking everything back together, restoring stuff that was changed or deleted, filling in data from scratch where it had been lost or never existed in the first place, fixing many bugs, creating titles, and of course internal testing. My initial estimate was that they were 70% complete, but by the end of the project, I'd say closer to 60%. Was a fun project, and I'm glad we tackled it, but it wasn't a matter of "nearly finished with plenty of documentation." Not by a long shot.
    Skuz, Gorgol the Ogre, Fanra and 6 others like this.
  17. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

[IMG]

If you have any information on the where about's of the unsolved quests, please post on allakhazam.
  18. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

[IMG]

Psst:
    Selos Drums of the March: ItemID - 11626
    McVaxius' Horn of War: ItemID - 11607

I was told by a little birdy to look in Kael but trying to give these two items to every single NPC (with ally faction) and attempting to trigger every possible phrase I could think of regarding dragons and instruments led me to nothing.
  19. Catashe Augur

Was probably was during those 9 years that restoring Freeport would be impossible then mysteriously this year.. "Nothing is impossible" ha ha ;)
  20. Brumans Augur

Heh Bobby, I was tempted to ask the same question but didn't bother. But yeah, always wondered what Quest those 2 instruments were originally supposed to work with.

Btw, thanks again to Prathun for opening the door on a lot of this info! Been awesome hearing about behind the scenes about all these half-finished and abandoned quests!
    Skuz and Prathun like this.