Truebox Request #4891

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Pappasalt, May 11, 2023.

1. Pappasalt Augur

Wait and see...

Wait and see...

Feel like a child or like I'm dealing with a government agency lol.
    Koshk likes this.
  2. Pikollo Augur

I hope that the "waiting on Yelinak" means waiting for them to hit relaxed to see how it goes. Waiting until next year is lazy IMO. Putting it off so they don't have to deal with it. Yeli going into relaxed should provide plenty of information to relax truebox on Thornblade and Mangler.
  3. Pappasalt Augur

Seems just like a way to push off the masses imo, not exactly sure what we're "testing" exactly lol. Truebox was put on tlps...not like it was in from the get go on the game. So we're testing to remove something that already hasn't been there originally? Again just seems like a stall type thing to prevent any type of hacks that may come along with it that they don't want to prevent legit.
  4. aliibaba New Member

1 normal and 1 boxer friendly server and after couple month 1 year merch them together.
    boxer friendly max 6 per pc :)
  5. Lejaun Augur

Sounds like you should join Oakwynd. It has relaxed Truebox in OoW I think.
  6. Pappasalt Augur

Oh yea start over a 4th time! Ok I'll go tell my guild that I quit.

You'll still be around on Oakwynd in like a year or two right?
    Koshk likes this.
  7. Lejaun Augur

Right now, the answer is yes. Of course, never know what life brings me or if the 25th Anniversary will have some amazing ruleset I have to play instead.

But for now, I'm having a great time on Oakwynd and am disappointed that so many toxic people have purposely tried to sabotage the server because it's not their rule preference. It's been a great experience so far.
  8. Pappasalt Augur

Highly doubt that as around 80% or so of a server population drops off at or before pop. But enjoy it while you can.

My reason for stating how long you play is because most of the truebox removal discussion is for people on tlps for the long haul.
    Skuz likes this.
  9. Mashef Augur

Oakwynd and all future TLPs are DOA without relaxed truebox or an ultra fun ruleset. Now that we know the tech exists people aren't logging in to 3 or more PCs anymore. That was so 2020.
  10. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Originally, you could only have one login (i.e. one computer) per launcher, i.e. true box. It wasn't called "true box" because there wasn't anything different. Someone is bound to come along and note you could work around the one login per launcher by having completely separate installations of EQ on your computer with the additionals having the launcher renamed. But, that was not supported by SoE and if the game messed up because of it, there was no support for it. It was essentially in the same league as using a 3rd party program.

It wasn't until many years after launch, probably a decade or maybe more after, that you could use the same launcher application to log in to the game more than once, but you needed to re-launch the launcher for each login. Which is how it works today for Live.

TLPs are supposedly all about the nostolgia of the game that was. True box is actually part of that.
  11. Pikollo Augur

Someone can feel free to correct me if I am wrong but..

Originally most of our PCs could not handle 2 versions of EQ running. Then someone realized if they had 2 installs they could box 2. Around that time someone also made a program (wineq?) to run EQ in windowed mode. Making it easier to box. Then finally someone found a way to bypass the patcher (patchme) making it easier to run multiple EQ's.

Running 2 installs is not the same as running 3rd party software. You're putting that in the same boat as people that intentionally use programs to run multiple windows or manipulate the game. You say it wasn't supported. The reality is it wasn't thought about. And as EQ grew the devs decided to make it easier by adding a windowed mode to EQ and allow you to run from the same install.

Truebox was not a part of original EQ. It wasn't intentionally added in original EQ to stop people from 2 boxing. Truebox was intentionally added. Just like motm, aggro meter, hate list etc. that were not part of original EQ.

Your point isn't really valid because the devs pick and choose what they want added to TLP's and none of it is the same as original EQ. Maybe TLPs at the start were but now each TLP has a ruleset that has nothing to do with original EQ other then where the TLP starts in the game. The main problem regarding this is someone needs to sit down and go back through the game and change unlocks to fit "modern TLP". Such as moving fabled times, unlocking seasonal events, unlocking store items etc.

But back to the topic at hand. Having an unlock schedule for truebox seems like a good idea. TB is past the point where truebox should be removed/relaxed. At this point in a server like ours its more detrimental keeping truebox on then it would be to turn it off.
  12. Pikollo Augur

Yeli has had relaxed truebox for a few days now. Is the data in?? Can we get relaxed on Thornblade??
  13. Pikollo Augur

14. Overcast451 Augur

For quite some time, you couldn't even 'alt-tab' to other Windows on the computer when Everquest was running, that was the old interface they used. At least, 'out of the box' without having a 'work around'.

This is why people printed stuff off back then. I had an old 486 that I used to get to web pages and such due to that.

I don't recall the wording of the EULA in 2000, but I'm pretty positive they limited it to one account per PC.
    Rijacki likes this.
  15. Pikollo Augur

Ya'll keep talking about original EQ but can't remember the facts. Most of our PC's couldn't handle 2 EQ's at the same time back then. None of us probably even tried it as it wasn't even a thought to play 2 chars. From what I remember there was no implementation or rules about one one account per PC only password sharing. Which we did anyways. And we were able to log in other accounts. But there was no code preventing you from having 2 EQ's running. Which was evident when wineq came out and everyone could window and started loading 2 EQ's.

Truebox was made for TLP's. It wasn't original EQ. They have picked and decided what to add to TLP's that were not in the original game. TLP's have evolved past a lot of that and could use a lot of overhauling.
  16. Pikollo Augur

Don't let it sink! Fight for your rights!
  17. kenmei Augur

people forget why truebox was implemented.
    Let me refresh your memories.
    Ragefire and Lockjaw 40 man raids owning plane of Fear and plane of Hate, charging people to enter, etc.. and it was all majority 1 player doing it. but there were alot of players who could do it, and they were fighting over the 'entitlement' of doing so. Also known as the krono mafia.... homebase: Firona Vie.
    this was EQ in its worst form. and why live servers are the way they are... dead. corpses fleeced of all available nutrients and new players.
  18. Vewdue Elder

There was also no AoC's (possibly Pick Zones, I don't remember if we had that yet or not) on Ragefire and Lockjaw. Those already mitigated the biggest complaints about the box armies. When they originally did it, they could lock down raid mobs. That's not possible now. Sure they can lock down a pick zone, but you can just go to a different one than them to farm. They can compete for open world bosses, but guilds can still spin up AoC's to farm them as well.

Originally, I thought truebox was an all or nothing thing. That's been proven wrong now that they have "relaxed truebox" allowing 3 accounts per comp. That alone is enough to stop the bot armies. When truebox was introduced it was a solution to a specific problem, bot armies. It's time to re-evaluate it now that there are additional features in place that solve the same problem. Mischief/Thornblade are way past the point where we should have gotten at least "relaxed truebox" if not completely removing it altogether. At this point, I honestly feel it's a little too late with mercs right around the corner. Sure, it would still be nice to be able to box 2-3 chars, but that would have been nice to have the past few expansions when the population started dropping.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

As a longstanding advocate of switching off truebox at the point DoDH unlocks I really hope the devs bend a little on their "we don't change server rules post-launch" mantra, so the current older TLP servers don't have the steeper decline in population Truebox is responsible for in later expansions.

Sadly the devs have a bit of a sticking point about "some things" they'll change some server rules here there & everywhere when they want to & then become completely intractible on specific points for no other reason than "because we can" and they will almost never reveal their rationale for it either.

I hope all future TLP do adopt the Truebox relaxation & eventual switch-off that they have rolled out on the most recent TLP because it's going to foster healthier TLP populations as they age than they would otherwise have.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Vaniki suffered from the same issue Selo did - it was too damn fast for most to be comfortable with the speed of it. It did of course have other issues, like event tuning, but a lot of people never even tried it due to the warp-speed unlock schedule it had.