Test Update 10/10/2023 - Patch Notes and Discussions

Discussion in 'Test Update Notes and Bug Roundup' started by EQ Dev, Oct 9, 2023.

1. bobokatt Augur

Can anyone explain this to me:
    *** Spells ***

- Heal and damage over time spells are now affected by Heal Amount and Spell Damage modifiers, respectively.

Does this mean that the modifiers we see on our gear or augs that have Heal Amount or Spell Damage affect DOTS and HOT spells? I always thought they did that before Or were those modifiers ONLY affecting DD spells and direct heals?
  2. Cainen Augur

The way I read it is prior to this patch they ONLY impacted instant dd/heals and now they will also impact over time spells.
    bobokatt likes this.
  3. Valcron Elder

Do druid and Necros really need another damage buff?
    WFSBelaar likes this.
  4. Meeko Developer(Code)

Those stats were previously not affecting DoTs or HoTs. They now do using this formula:

Code:
    Spell Damage / DoT Duration = Extra Damage Per Tick
    If you have 500 SD and your DoT lasts for 5 ticks, you'll now get a flat 100 extra damage on each tick.

The same formula/math applies to Heal Amount.
  5. Meeko Developer(Code)

Can you clarify what you mean by this?
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Is that the base duration or the focused duration? Meaning if you have a dot that lasts 6 ticks and you have focus effects that take it out to 10 ticks will the extra damage per tick be calculated off the 6 tic base duration or the 10 tick actual duration.
    Fanra likes this.
  7. Meeko Developer(Code)

It could vary depending on how the spell's duration works, but typically it's going to be the base duration used as the divisor and not the focused duration.
  8. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

"flat" meaning added after crits multiply the base damage?
  9. Meeko Developer(Code)

Yes, though before Twincast does its doubling.
  10. fransisco Augur

yes, nothing modifies SD damage. Its the great sadness for casters. No stat matters. You can maximize SD for that 0.001% increase, adding that extra 500 damage to your 10 million pt crit
  11. Sancus Augur

SD for DDs does crit and is modified by SPA 461. It's still very small, but unmodifiable SD is a DoT-specific phenomenon (most modifiers are the reverse and scale better for DoTs).
    Emilari and bobokatt like this.
  12. Valcron Elder

Thanks for the information, but my question still stands, necrosis and druids really didn't need any further dmg increases.
  13. Valcron Elder

When you say SD what do you mean?
  14. Sancus Augur

Spell Damage.
    The damage increase is incredibly negligible because it isn't modifiable.
    Badchanter, Emilari and bobokatt like this.
  15. Meeko Developer(Code)

I looked at some logs from a recent NoS raid I attended to check actual numbers. Spell Damage caps at a bit over 5k, but I'm going to use that for easy math.

One of the necros cast ~100 DoTs on the event. Assuming every cast's DoT went full duration (it didn't), that means they would've had ~500k extra damage. They had a bit less than half their DoTs twincast, so add another ~250k from that for a total of 750k extra damage potential added.

That would've increased their personal damage total by ~0.06%.

You're vastly overestimating how big of a change this is.
    Badchanter, Marton, Sancus and 5 others like this.
  16. Lilfella Elder

It's between 200-500 DPS increase for necros, total. If it adds any strain to the combat calculations it's okay to undo it.

Doesn't spell damage still check spell levels? Wasn't that a big push a few patches ago to alleviate strain?
  17. Thundersnake Elder

There is an issue on test, possibly only occurring when there are many corpses in an area even with hidecorpse alwaysnpc enabled. When turning there is some serious graphical hitching. This issue is consistent and constant. This is game breaking and disruptive to gameplay.
  18. GrandOpener Elder

Trying not to pick apart your comments here Meeko, but this really begs the question, why? Should we expect a 100x increase on the spell damage stat on augs in an upcoming expansion? Was this removing a conditional that was contributing combat lag? Was this merely a known short/easy task that was the right size to sneak into the release, despite not actually being a priority?

Even though their math was off, I can't fault people like Valcron assuming that the effect must be significant if y'all spent time fixing it.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why not? It makes the stat more useful to more classes even if it is only a minor boost.
  20. Cadira Augur

Holy crap, a dev that looks at parses and can do math! Put him in charge of class balance!
    Barton and Smokezz like this.