Start a TLP server in TSS xpac

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by TheAgenda, May 7, 2022.

1. Ariana Augur

How long would it take for a guild to become raid ready for TSS content? Just wondering if from scratch, 6 months might be sort of realistic. It's not like they'd be jumping directly into those raids. Some level of CoA farm for key epics would be useful. I agree 6 months sounds like a long time, but too fast would be also bad.
  2. Thatoneguy666 Elder

I would say anywhere between 3 and 6 months would be ideal. Maybe more like 4, but I could see 6 being reasonable for casuals.
  3. Thatoneguy666 Elder

I think a guild could down Lethar 2.0 within 4 weeks, but it would be very difficult. I'd be excited to see how long it took.

Reasonably paced guilds could certainly get up to speed within 8 weeks.
  4. TheAgenda Augur

I think 16 weeks (3.7 months) would probably be ideal for people to level, get AAs, gear up to raid, and farm raids to prep for TBS
  5. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

So would I. I think the entire concept would be novel and interesting
  6. Aenoan Augur

I don't think it's that long to clear TSS, I mean expansions come out roughly every 12 months. If you look through archives of old guilds on how soon they started clearing content on any expansion I think its faster than we realize.

For TSS I saw 2007-01-17,2007-02-06,2007-02-18,2007-02-28 I just picked a guild from my old live server. Keep in mind I am sure there are faster guilds but its purely anecdotal just to kind of get an idea
    more importantly at this point the strats are not a secret either which would probably make it easier.
  7. Ariana Augur

What we don't have is really a metric on what this would look like without the benefit of farming previous expansions though. I'm trying to think back to Combine/Sleeper era. Didn't GoD take like a month or something on its own to clear after PoP was beaten? That would be the closest metric that we would have to compare against, and of course balance has changed since then. Of course there wouldn't be requirements for full expansion unlocks and could skip lots of content so that would speed it up some in addition to more power creep.
    Aenoan likes this.
  8. Aenoan Augur

Funny you say that because I think Realm of Insanity held the record for the fastest catch up to live servers back then. I think they were finishing expansions in 6 weeks (because there was always a mandatory 2 week buffer)

I remember part of the lockout rules was completing your epics and collecting the tier armor like POGrowth's class armor.

I actually would like to have a Sleeper/Combine 2.0 and see how fast the game would unlock then, I'd probably participate in that one again.
    Thatoneguy666 and Chikkin like this.
  9. Chikkin Augur

I miss those awesome TLP unlock screens that showed who did what unlock first, etc. I love charts, and records, and tracking and all that though. So ehh.

My initial thought is that anything 6 months is going to get boring to EQ players, like a mental thing, or maybe they won't even give it a fair shot because in their head, they'll just be bored...

Not sure where that line is on too fast/burn out ... and too-slow/boredom but that in the middle 3-4 months thing that was suggested might be right, but again, it's hard to say, nobody quite sure on that.

Can a question like that be tackled with a voting system again or a "well see aka TBD" type thing without the unlocks being announced ahead of time? This seems like something that can actually be answered or speculated pretty well based on previous TLPs, for which that I don't have any base of reference. I haven't done a TLP longer than 2 weeks at release, since Combine where I played for quite a while until the addition of mercs convinced me to go back to live.
  10. TheAgenda Augur

I'd personally prefer to just see an (approximately) 3-4 months locked at TSS, then standards 8/12 week unlocks after that.
    Brildon and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  11. TheAgenda Augur

Agree. People often say 6 months but I don't think they're stopping to think how long 6 months actually is.
  12. Gnomie Denser than most

Have you played TSS? It's nothing like live. Way way way more like the earlier expansions. Do you have like 1-2 extra discs and buttons to press? Maybe, but it's not the 20 hotbar mess that live is.
    Skuz and TheAgenda like this.
  13. TheAgenda Augur

During TLP 2023 release, current TLPs will be in the following eras

Yelinak - OOW. Just starting the 70s slump. Good for a bit but starts getting yucky

Mischief/Thornblade - TBS. It's very possible a lot may have been burned out / lost during the 70s slump at this point. Burnout and attrition will have set in a while ago)

Aradune/Rizlona - UF. Those who are still here are probably pretty dedicated, but attrition is certainly still a thing

Vaniki - SoD/UF. Those who are playing here are a different breed entirely.

Therefore I still think a TSS start relaxed truebox or even no truebox would be the way to go for TLP 2023. It's a fresh start in an era that still pays homage to classic, while not forcing people to endure the grossness that is PoR.
    Skuz likes this.
  14. TheAgenda Augur

IMO if you know what you're doing on live, and effectively comb through your abilities, you can stack your macros so that you only have like 2 hotbars. If you want more for your clickies etc then that's on you.

Anyway. 2023 TSS start TLP!!
  15. TheAgenda Augur

That sounds brutal
    Skuz likes this.
  16. Trevor Elder

vaniki has proven that a TSS TLP would have 100 players online
  17. Triconix Augur

How is a level locked server even remotely the same as TSS start? And Vaniki has around 1000 players during prime hours. How is 100 = 1000?
  18. TheAgenda Augur

[IMG]
    Brildon and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  19. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

More than that in PoK right now and autokick is in effect, also more than twice that just in my guild. This is s disingenuus statement.

The availability of higher level loots and kills is actually turning out to be quite interesting.
  20. Aeonblade Very Hungry Vah Shir

This would be the only type of TLP that would have me reroll again. Normal rulesets have become bore me tears level of yawn inducing.