Start a TLP server in TSS xpac

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by TheAgenda, May 7, 2022.

1. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I want every single TLP to use Level-locking just to watch your head explode.
    TheAgenda and code-zero like this.
  2. samenye Lorekeeper

TSS start would be great - as would anything that got people levelling off the usual track. Did they fix the issue with defiant dropping when TSS unlocks on progression? I recall that being an issue on Phinny for people wanting a chance to replay TSS with TSS era loot.
  3. Captain Video Augur

It was never an issue, they made that change on purpose. TSS will drop Defiant pieces up to Intricate, which is level 60 gear. In a level 75 expansion, I don't see that as being an issue.
    Fhiele likes this.
  4. Brildon Augur

For me, its the amount of group content and progression available. I don't mind wasting hours away at a camp socializing with buddies, but around SoF/SoD and especially HoT going foward, I just find the group progression to be really good.

I enjoy doing the paragon achievements, gives ya reason to spend some time in just about every part of every zone in an xpack
    Rajaah and Frid like this.
  5. taliefer Augur

dont just do a TLP that starts at TSS. do a TLP that starts at ONLY TSS. its a full fledged 1-75 expansion. I actually think a server that starts with just TSS zones would be alot of fun and a new dynamic to the game.
    code-zero likes this.
  6. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

While I get what you’re saying I just don’t like the idea of forcing people into certain content
    Skuz likes this.
  7. Triconix Augur

While the intention is good, they shouldn't do this.

First, you limit the leveling routes and gearing options from 1-75. Tunneling people into limited zones will just cause disruptions and toxicity. One of the most intriguing aspects of a TSS launch would be the sheer number of legitimate options you can go level in. The re-rollers who love their brown-walled dungeons can still level there, while others can go explore zones that usually go under-utilized on TLPs because by the time they are released people are largely past needing the zones.

Second, you lose a lot of QOL features that would be available for a TSS launch. GL, GH, PoK, Bazaar, etc.
    Skuz likes this.
  8. TheAgenda Augur

Seems to me the idea of a TSS server launch would’ve been more popular than this year’s servers.
    Batman and Thatoneguy666 like this.
  9. Brildon Augur

I don't think it would beat Yelinak in popularity, due to the nature of TLPer population, the classic start pulls in the numbers, but I could see it being more popular then Vaniki

It's a nice wish though, maybe next year
    Skuz and TheAgenda like this.
  10. taliefer Augur

pickzones make the crowding thing less of an issue.They could keep pok, bazaar and guild lobby open for the vendors and QOL stuff. I just think itd be something different and interesting. TSS deserves a showcase, there is alot of care and love that went into that expansion that just isnt ever utilized or even known by alot of eq players.

some type of TSS challenge server would just be alot of fun imo.
  11. Triconix Augur

They would need to review the pick zone thresholds for TSS I would guess. I'm not sure what they are, but with most being open zones that probably means 40-60 players. Most of those zones cannot sustain 40-60 players in a single instance. You would need it set to 20-30.
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Slaytanik Elder

People seem to forget that DBG's target audience for these new TLP servers are new players that never got to see/play Classic. They are going to make the most money off those players, so explain why they would ever start a TLP at TSS? It wouldn't make them money like starting classic would.
  13. Ariana Augur

I guess there's not really any way of knowing either the target audience or the actual number of new players, but my hunch is that new players to EQ make up a very small fraction of the overall player base on these servers. If they wanted to highlight the positive aspects of the game as it has evolved over time to new players, it would probably not be by funneling them into the stalest and least balanced part of the game. They have more competition for new players than they do for entrenched veteran players in other MMOs on the market, and would want them to see the more engaging and dynamic content available in later expansions. TSS is a logical place to start as there is content available for all levels, without the task of constantly playing catch up on 120 levels and tens of thousands of AA as they would have to on live. A TSS start server would probably be the most new player friendly TLP they launched to date if that was a goal.
  14. Morriana Journeyman

+1 for this.
  15. TheAgenda Augur

There's also source of income that TLP players don't provide; new expansions. TSS is the perfect bridge between classic and modern content. A lot of the classic recyclers keep conveniently leaving out an important word from the TLP acronym; progression. They're not rolling out classic servers. They're rolling out progression servers where theoretically players should progress. As it's been mentioned many times in this thread, one major obstacle that has frequently kept players from progressing is the lvl 70 slog, which starts halfway through OOW and ends after PoR. Usually by the time a server reaches TSS, the damage by the slog era has already been done.
  16. Trevor Elder

you sure have demonstrated you know something that I don't with that hostile and substance-free post
  17. Pappasalt Augur

But if there was 2 servers, 1 started in classic normal server, other started in TSS with special rules or something and you preferred classic...why would it matter?

I feel like this forum just goes round and round on every post of who enjoys what when and where. Who cares as long as your needs are quenched for the most part and if they aren't dont give them a sub? This post is for a server that hasn't been done, simple.

This forum needs to focus much more on the things we can all agree are terrible such as the 70 era being too long, or QoL changes such as out of combat regen or hate meter going in or going in sooner, etc. Arguing opinion is truly a huge waste of time.
    Skuz and TheAgenda like this.
  18. TheElusiveFox Journeyman

Frankly because of how few people ever see TSS+ content, and how good a lot of the content actually is (especially when you actually have people to play with)... I think a server like this could do really well with anyone who isn't just looking for the nostalgia loop...

Also as far as the level locked / standard server progress stuff... I think the real issue is that it takes two years to get past Omens, and by then that existing server has bled population because of two new progression servers, as well as whatever popular games have recently come out... To actually get remotely close to live it takes quite a bit of time, and the farther in you get the less reason a returning player has to join the server which hurts a lot... Personally think we need more servers like Selos, where two/three years in the server is caught up and done.
  19. TheAgenda Augur

Yeah there's a decent amount of zones but not overwhelming like classic or kunark. I can't imagine it'd be an enormous task.

Well put
  20. TheAgenda Augur

The main reason I'd be okay with level-locking for a server like this is just so that those who are newer to the TSS+ content would have time to settle in without feeling overwhelmed
    Skuz likes this.