Sony, can you just remove food necessity once and for all?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Raluden, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Raluden Elder

The food and drink requirement really should go. It's not like if you are hungry and thirsty you took a penalty in stats, for example. You just get hit with annoying spam that you are out of food and drink, and hungry and thirsty.

I don't have a problem with miraculous food and drink for stats boosts, but why not just get rid of the basic food need? It's not unreasonable. I'm old enough to remember when you had to skill up sense heading and Sony just threw in the towel and gave us max sense heading by default.

So come on, spare me some spam and room in my bags.
  2. Donroy Elder

I haven't kept food/drink on me in years. I'm way too lazy to keep up with force feeding myself the junk foods to avoid consuming the good stuff. I just filter the spam info my spam window and forget about it.
  3. Marshall Maathers Augur

I do that on my alts. Only problem I ever encountered was something like one of the BG quests in which you have to hand in some food/drink. It disappeared on me before I could get credit.
  4. Donroy Elder

I keep the food and water summoning clickies on me just incase of quests like that.
  5. Saave Augur

Implement an AA at lvl 100, that stops the need for food / drink.
  6. Sebbina Augur

I think I would prefer a high level AA to go from Innate Metabolism 50% to 100%, so that it is still possible to give a level 1 character some high value food and drink to boost their viability. There would be questions about, still having the stats, and of course there is the ranger Endless Quiver as a reference. Still a worthwhile question to ask and with perma food drink folk will probably equip some, though the bazaar market for food/drink would probably collapse.
    Norathorr likes this.
  7. Norathorr Augur

The spam is annoying, but as Sebbina said, it would undermine tradeskillers, and given our buffslot situation I would not want food drink stat bonuses become a buff if food and drink were no longer a consumable.
  8. Maedhros High King

Total waste of already very limited developer time. Are you seriously asking someone to do extra work so that you can not be annoyed by food and drink messages due to you being too lazy to buy a few stacks of food every few months?
    Tarvas likes this.
  9. Saave Augur

To answer your question, Maedhros, Yes. He IS seriously asking the question. You read it, correct? Therefore it the question exhists.

OK. What is the purpose to have food and drink in the first place? ( the start of EQ) Was it your STA drops if you starve? Mana would slow on regeneration rate?

What is the negative effects, on your charractor, of not having food and drink to date at 100? STA loss, Mana regen loss? NOTHING.
    It is a waste of time and space to HAVE food and drink in a game where it has NO effect besides stopping spam and consumption of foraged/looted items.

Don't bring in developers etc. into it. You obviously aren't getting the point of the thread.
    If we went by that belief, there would not be a point in this website.
    Just because you aren't bothered about the spam and the non positive effects doesn't mean others aren't :)

Just to add, Collapsable Roboboar uses food drink? it is mechanical. When you are on a mount you consume more food and drink.
  10. Kamea Augur

Britstlebane's Challenge was ~35% the HP/Mana of the raid gear from POR. Following that %, the best food should be ~1,200 HP/Mana today. Like many things in EQ, the stats on top end stat food has greatly stagnated. I haven't bothered with stat food outside of magelo for 6 years or so.

The problem w/ worrying about the stat food is the fact there's no warning message (preferably, one you can toggle on/off) when you're about to eat it. In 2006 I ate a Bristlebane's challenge, but was able to petition to get it back. Of course one could argue you shouldn't be able to keep a single stat food item forever, from a lore standpoint.

Regardless, the power of innate metabolism should be greatly increased, not to 100%, but close to it.
  11. Warpeace Augur

At least remove the spam if players are out of food and drink. Its honestly a mostly useless message now and is literally SPAM if I don't keep food / drink on my characters they don't die and there is no penalty....except the SPAM from not having any in inventory.
  12. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Food/Drink should be reworked as click-to-consume for the buffs.

This would allow them to give real stat buffs (on the level of a piece of gear) instead of the useless levels they currently provide.
  13. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

They should just rework it so that it has meaning. A slow draining of the maximum health, mana, and endurance should do it. You can survive about 3 weeks without food. You can live little less than a week without water. Have the time use game time and make the water timer override the food timer and bam, spam will disappear most Ricky-Tick.
    Anglesy and Nennius like this.
  14. Xanadas Augur

Yet another person who wants to remove the "role-playing" in MMORPG. It's pretend, it's for immersion. You're pretending to live in another world, and yes, you have to eat and drink in this fantasy world. I see your point, it's largely irrelevant to most of the rest of the game. While we're at it, let's just remove all zones and monsters except raid bosses since travelling around in the world is pointless. (/sarcasm)
  15. Jonny Panic Augur

I'd like slots to "equip" food and drink, preferably with shading timers on them (like how clickies with recast timers show their time left).

If you're going to camp an aug, then you're wasting time trying to explain why you don't use stat food. If you don't want to bother buying or making it, you can get some rather nice food and drink from the loyalty vendor.
  16. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Waste to spend dev time on this.
  17. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

I know that it used to nearly eliminate your endurance regen to be hungry/thirsty. And I'm talking back during SoD, not back with stamina. Did they change that?
  18. Coruth Augur

I think the Original Poster's point is basic food/drink can be eliminated BUT make it where stat boosting food and drink needs to be consumed for the stat.

Ironically this would be
    1 part boon (eliminate "your hungry spam)
    1 part bug fix (you mean me force eating Iron Rations wasnt meant to keep my Super Stat Food Safe?
    1 part making TS Food more valuable since u'd actually have to eat it to get the stats.
    1 part nerf via fix
  19. Agrippa Augur

Depending where the buffs from eating and drinking went, it could also waste slots already at a premium. I'd rather keep it as it is, but somehow have them remove the force-feeding.
  20. Anglesy Elder

I agree. Instead of doing yet another thing to easy mode the game, why not bring back relevance to food/drink? Introduce penalties similar to the slowing of regen that existed early on. Make OOC regen not function if you are hungry/thirsty.
    Moklianne likes this.