[Request] Make Shadow of buffs not infinitely long duration

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Raccoo, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Duder Augur

I'm sure they couldn't have imagined what a problems these clicks would cause at that time. It has now reached a point where that decision should be re-evaluated and changes made.
    Flatchy and Raccoo like this.
  2. Cicelee Augur

I mean, this is only an issue on raids correct? Players are not generally buff blocked when in the group game right?

If so,

Raid leader states while MGB is going on to click off all shadow buffs. Says it a couple times to make sure the communication is given.

Problem solved? If people after being told right before a raid encounter to click off shadow buffs and they still cannot, then the raid leader has two options- shrug their shoulders, or replace them.

No reason to fix stupid if stupid refuses to fix stupid...
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Which defeats the reason they added them as AAs in the first place.
  4. Flatchy Court Jester

Nope not raided since Anguish was current and I find myself in this predicament time to time. For the millionth time it just boils down to F you I like it the way it is dont change it, I could not care less about anyone else opinion. Compromises were made that would suit both sides but meh its too much trouble to reclick them every 28 hours ( I actually laughed at that I mean really who raids 28 hours in a row) . 6 hours would be more than sufficient I would think. My compromise of make it players choice like showing helm would even keep your perma buff up for you while giving others the way to not screw themselves unknowingly.

If its that huge of a problem , they should just make all buffs perm so all the OCD people can keep their perma orders and not have to click them ever again. I can almost imagine he wailing and gnashing of teeth when deaths occur and you have to rebuff.
  5. p2aa Augur

Nah both side would not be happy.

Let's see :

Former system : Buffs with limited duration, having to click them again when they fade, and it takes buff slots in the buff window. This is the system the OP and his followers want to go back to.

Current system in place atm : Buffs with permanent duration, made into AA, so don't have to click them again, and it doesn't take any buff slots anymore in the buff window, so it frees you for other buffs.

How is it better to have to click back a buff versus not having to do ?

How is this good to be forced again to waste buff slots ? This would be a punishment, and it's not a question of 24 hours, 48 hours, 72 hours, etc. : it will take unneeded buff slots in the buff window.

And all of this because of some players that "don't care / don't want to / don't believe the buff is working if they don't see it in their buff window" to click off their permanent shadow buff ? No thanks.
  6. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Did you even read the thread? Most people do not need junk buffs, therefore, most people don't need to click them back on. The compromise on the side of we who want the buffs gone completely, is to say "wait, some people do actually use these, so can we get what we want without ruining it for them?" The response we are getting back from those we just showed consideration for is "no, screw you, i got mine, i don't care about anybody else."

So I changed my mind, you're right, I shouldn't care about people who have no ability to take others into consideration. I guess now I just want them gone, at all costs, because this thread changed my mind. The people who need these don't deserve them, they can go hunt clickies. Hopefully the devs like to screw people over too, because then they will agree with me.

Honestly, nothing will probably change with these at all. Any change beyond the duration or the toggle that was mentioned is probably a bit of work. Although now that I think about it, just not giving the buff at all is likely an easy change too. Think about it DPG, all the buff slot limit complaints you could fix by just removing these. People will still complain, but you can point to this and say "no we fixed it, we like it this way, we got ours, too bad." Wouldn't that be a glorious day?

We should all be inconsiderate and greedy, it would make the world a better place.
    Flatchy and Duder like this.
  7. p2aa Augur

Yeah, I did, if the OP request is not my former system description, then feel free to bring reasons why it's not. Have you read the thread I did post that you quoted ? I asked 2 questions.

The second one especially, how is that good, for anyone, at least for me and many others, to take unneeded buff slots back with the return of limited duration buffs in the buff window ?
  8. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I went back and read your post again, maybe you just misunderstood what has been said here. Nobody wants to go back to the way it was pre-AA. Keep the AA system, find a solution for the useless buffs. Waring was pushing my buttons so maybe I misattributed his views to yours. You were one of the only other people pushing back, but if it's a misunderstanding then I get it.

So just to clarify. Keep the AA's, you click the item, you get the AA's. I don't think anybody disagrees with that.

Step 2, does a buff appear? If so, how long does it stay? Does it need to be infinite? I would prefer there was no buff at all, there is chat spam to show you got the AA's. But, in the interest of "not everything is about me," I understand why some want that buff as it's an easily accessible junk buff. I'm always open to good reasoning, and that is good reasoning.

The battle that has been fought in this thread, that was completely unnecessary, was the one over the duration of said buffs. Some have said no, they must be infinite, make the noobs learn or pay the price. Others have said, that's kinda harsh, can't we just make the durations really long so they are useful for that purpose, but still go away for others?

I don't think the second question really applies once it's understood that nothing would change but the duration of the useless buffs, nobody would lose these abilities or be forced to use up more buff slots to utilize them.

In the interest of trying to be honest and not a jerk, I'm sorry for blowing up at you when I misunderstood what you meant.
    Duder likes this.
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

So all this is from something they implemented in 2015. Geez. Get over it :D

- - Activating an item with one of these spells now casts a shadow spell named for the buff line. These shadow spells have no effects but are permanent duration and are intended to allow you to retain the use of these items as a means to reduce the impact of incoming dispel attacks.
    - - When you are granted a rank of one of these passive AA abilities you are now also granted an activated ability called Item: Disable Item Abilities. This ability will clear all of your item-granted abilities and allow you to start fresh.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/game-update-notes-september-23-2015.226759/

If they put them on timers then one would need to recast when they expire.
  10. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Wait, are you saying these aren't even useful as junk buffs, because they can't be dispelled anyway? That's not the way they've been represented. Using them for junk buffs is the only reason to recast them at all, duration limited or otherwise.
  11. Duder Augur

They can be dispelled.
  12. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Fun killer! This whole thread could have been upended. There could have been crying and gnashing of teeth in the streets. But no, you want to live in reality, with facts and information. Ok, that actually sounds fun, you win.
    Marton, Duder and CatsPaws like this.
  13. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Nope, not what I am saying.
  14. Raccoo Augur

This is not what OP (me) said. I did not say anything about changing the AA part of this. I only spoke about changing shadow buffs from unlimited duration and staying forever on newbies/people with old eyes/etc, so that they'll eventually fade off. Whether it takes 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, 2 days. As long as eventually it fades. My preference was 30 minutes initially, since the only reason I could come up with of them being useful to keep on was for dispelling mobs, which usually doesn't require them lasting more than that (see Yinla's raid timeframe on Sonty). However, I was fine with it being longer, as I know some raid forces take even longer (upwards of a hour) on Sonty.
    Duder likes this.
  15. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Should also consider that with actual durations, they wouldn't tick down in PoK/GH/GL, so they would last even longer than the actual duration.
    Duder likes this.