[Request] Make Shadow of buffs not infinitely long duration

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Raccoo, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Raccoo Augur

These are the buffs for the item clickies that give you stats under the special AA tabs.

Shadow of Battle, Shadow of Breath, Shadow of Defense, Shadow of Endurance, Shadow of Expanding Mind, Shadow of Firefist, Shadow of Gnoll Fortitude, Shadow of Knowledge, Shadow of Memories, Shadow of Might, Shadow of Protection, Shadow of Rejuvenation, Shadow of Ward, Shadow of the Myrmidon, and possibly Shadow of Amplification (one I haven't seen).

These buff's main purpose is to update your AA item ranks, and can be used to keep from being dispelled as well. Besides that they get left on forever by silly heads who don't notice they're blocking good buffs and ADPS. It'd help these people if the duration was lowered from infinite time to maybe somewhere around 30 minutes (my guess what would be good to still be useful to keep from being dispelled).

I did try an alternate way of helping people by making a hotkey to buffblock and then unblock them, only to find these buffs cannot be blocked at all. So the hotkey doesn't work.
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Please no. WIth raids they have started using dispell again and I really don't want to have to click these every week to make sure I don't get good buffs at the top.

They can easily click them off after they have clicked them the first time if they don't want them. Having to click them every 30 minutes would be way worse.

With 42 buff slots players aren't blocking other stuff they don't need if they are getting buff locked.
  3. Warpeace Augur

So a solution looking for a problem?

Have I forgotten to click off the shadow buff before? you bet. I'm not about to ask for the duration to be reduced because thats 100% on me and I view it as part of managing my character. I agree they mainly serve as verification you upgraded your Item click and also as junk buffs for dispel purposes.

Might the Dev team do it? Maybe, because they did set up a way to turn tribute off when afk or logging out.

And I would disagree with Yinla 42 buff slots are never enough.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

This isn't a problem the devs need to create a fix for.

This is something the players themselves figure out or get educated about by their peers.
  5. Flatchy Court Jester

Heh I can tell you dont tank much. I am not saying i disagree with you on it but I do find myself running around with them blockers on more than I would like to. Set it for 2 hours then. You dont wanna have to click em on, others dont wanna have to click em off. So I would say compromise.
    Qimble and Duder like this.
  6. Nolrog Augur

PEBKAC

If you really want to change this, have it not put a buff in the window rather than reducing the duration.
  7. Raccoo Augur

What brought this up in my thoughts was buffing people in GL and raiding with people on open raids. I've noticed lots of people have just about every Shadow of buff on them all the time. When I notice it I tell them, and maybe they listen and click them off. Maybe they ignore me.

This isn't a problem anyone who frequents these forums has, I'm sure. We all know to click 'em off unless we used them purposefully to block dispells. The majority of players don't come here, and there is no way we'll ever reach all of them. Having a lower duration is a small annoyance for us, but a huge problem for them never clicking them back off. I thought 30 minutes would be a fine duration, but they could set it at a hour, 2 hours, whatever.

I guess another option is Daybreak putting up some more "The more you know" sort of loading screens.
    Duder likes this.
  8. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I think they should introduce a few modern premium items with instant-cast shadow buffs. Put them on the raid vendor with a high price or something.

Unless of course, the devs consider farming rare loot in lowlevel zones as "quality content" for the modern raider...:p
  9. Cicelee Augur

Make the game easier for bad players? No thanks. Let bad players play bad if they don't want to accept feedback, and let good players click off the buff and bask in the rewards.
    Velisaris_MS and Conq like this.
  10. cadres Augur

No!
    There's approx a zillion +1 things that need fixing or would be improved by fixing. This isn't one of them.
    Plus: We don't need anything else that forces folk to play the way someone else thinks they should.
  11. Flatchy Court Jester

Funny thing is this really only works if you agree and like to play the way things are at the moment. If not you are being forced to play the way someone else thinks they should play.
    Hegsheoshed and Wyre Wintermute like this.
  12. Marton Augur

Please No.

There are a lot of things that need to be worked on before things like this.
  13. Duder Augur

If you play with a high variety of players you will see that the shadow buffs are actually a significant problem. Even the players that are receptive and click them off usually end up with them back on, because the obliviousness that lead to them being loaded with them in the first place persists and it happens again. The buffs themselves do nothing, they shouldn't even exist as an option as a clicky to prevent dispells from getting good buffs. There are very many clickies in existence to use in such a way. Shadow buffs should only have a 6s timer if they are absolutely necessary to accomplish the granting of special AA. If not, get rid of the shadow buff altogether.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What is wrong with educating players that you encounter with these buffs so they click them off? Seems to me the real problem is just not understanding what buffs you have on.
    Ozon likes this.
  15. Duder Augur

Unreceptiveness, obliviousness to begin with that repeats itself. Some folks have an idea of why they want them on and arent capable of understanding the detriment they are doing for themselves so leave them on or continue to reapply them without ever removing them. If the purpose of the 'buff' is to grant the special AA then that's all it ought to be used for.
    Raccoo likes this.
  16. Cicelee Augur

So if those players want the shadow buff on instead of other buffs, so be it? Let them? If they rather have two shadow buffa instead of two runes and they die on a raid, so be it? And if they continually are hindering a raid, then the raid replaces them? Maybe then they will learn and be receptive?

On a raid, I do not go for the shaman unity focus buff. Instead I use my self buff Shield of Magician or whatever it is called. You will never convince me otherwise. And I don't think me using one buff over another will matter in the grand scheme of things. Just like someone having four shadow buffs up probably doesn't matter in the grand scheme of a raid.
  17. Zarkdon Augur

Rather than having a change to any mechanic I would rather they just spell it out clearer in the description that the buff doesn't do anything.

"This buff does absolutely nothing, this is simply a mechanic to trigger the AA and serves no other purpose feel free to remove it."
    Szilent and Velisaris_MS like this.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You could say the same for a lot of buffs that players get that they want but are actually just taking up a buff slot for that class. There isn't a need to change this just because some players don't understand how they work.

You are making a big assumption that they are just there to apply the AA when that is part of the item click itself and not part of the shadow buff that you get from it.
  19. Duder Augur

Good, get rid of them then.
    Sancus and Viper1 like this.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Or just click them off when you click your upgraded item. There is no reason to get rid of them and they got added in as a replacement for the buffs that got lost and could be used as fodder for dispelling mobs.

Just because some keep them on doesn't mean it should be removed.
    Yinla likes this.