Recent change to killing things while afk, specifically mercs and pets

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by froakakhan, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Whulfgar Augur

Holy carp ..

Is it the reason that you are all .. upset about this is because Those of yous guys who hate this change actively utilize such weak sauce play styles ?

/gasp ..
  2. Warpeace Augur

Dude,
    There is no hack killing in this thread, fix your tinfoil hat. Its while your afk your pet / merc kill the mob that agros you.
  3. Mayfaire Augur

Whulf, I am trying to understand where you are coming from, and failing.

AFK killing with pet/mercs was legal for years, until now. How are you hacking if you are doing something the devs said was ok?

And, again - I could give less than a hoot, because I have no interest in trying it again. Just here for S&G. lol
    Motherlee likes this.
  4. Whulfgar Augur

And my question for everyone crying about this is rather simple then .. (to help better make me understand cause as my previous posts show, I do not understand)

Why would you guys be mad .. about them wanting you to be at the keyboard .. in order to gain xp at all ?
  5. shik Elder

It's obvious the dude's comprehension ability is lacking.
    I skipped right over his post.

If you go afk to get a drink (longer than a few seconds...) or forget you're logged in and a thing attacks you and your pet or merc kill it, HACKS!
    Gyurika Godofwar and Mayfaire like this.
  6. Whulfgar Augur

They have never ever wanted people to set the puter up to "auto-play" the game in any capacity.

(Yes, they have always had rules for this)
    Fallfyres and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  7. Mayfaire Augur

Nah bud. I have seen where they have stated flat out before that afk killing with pet/mercs is not against the rules. That was a direct response to people complaining about it. I'm not going to spend time looking for it, so I know what you're going to say, but I have seen it.

If it was against the rules before, why is there now a brand new rule about it? lol :p

Whatevs, like I said, tried it once, crap exp, don't care one way or the other if it goes away. But I do agree with others who have said that they should blast every new rule everywhere before they start the suspensions.
    Yimin and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  8. Mayfaire Augur

Really, what they need to do is release a new damn expansion so I get more interested in playing again than running my trap on the forums. :mad:
  9. Whulfgar Augur

If anyone can provide the thread of which, mayfaire is speaking .. Perhaps we can see whats really what ..

However I know personally that the Eula always prohibited afk playing in any / all capacities ..
  10. Mayfaire Augur

Mintalie, shik, Nniki and 4 others like this.
  11. Slowhand Elder

EQ was my first game of this type back in 2000. I have played every game on the market since then....usually some type of pet class. Crazy thing, I do use the bathroom...I do go to the kitchen and grab something to eat ...I do answer the phone and talk etc etc. Yet not once have I felt the need to AFK kill stuff. Never even considered it.

Amazing the BS some people can come up with supporting afk killing ...even if "it's only for a few minutes" ...because " I have a life !" lol :confused:
    Fallfyres likes this.
  12. strongbus Augur

there goes a easy way to get faction/slayer done. all bst/mag/necros had to do was go to a low enough zone and be kos to the mobs and go afk with pet hold off.
    Motherlee likes this.
  13. Unsunghero Elder

Training was never allowed on TLP. Kill stealing via dps is, I don't think the charm method works as well because people can spam dispel to remove the charm
  14. Necromonious Augur

You guys are super naive if you think that going to the bathroom, or even going to the store is going to get you in trouble.

I dunno where you think DBG got an additional 50 game moderation staff, but most petitions take a long time, days to weeks, to even hear a response, if ever.

So to reiterate:

First, someone has to catch you.

Then, they have to choose to report it (a lot wont)

Then, after a few days or week, eventually the petition will be read

Then, possibly, if you are still there for that whole time, a GM will send you a tell

The GM's are not going to suspend based on one tell being missed. They will teleport your char off the mob to a safe spot in the zone

[IMG]
    Agrippa likes this.
  15. Laronk Augur

So it was well established that going afk with a merc was fine and safe. Now someone who does it and doesn't read the forums could get suspended for afking with a merc.

Worse if you're a mage and are in a easy area with a cleric merc up and you get a phone call and end up afking for 15 minutes you could get in trouble? This is BS
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  16. Ghubuk Augur

They are not likely to ban or suspend you unless they have a very good idea you are abusing the system with afk killing. They have lots of logs they can look at to determine things.
    It is very apparent that people arguing against this rule have an ulterior motive for it to be allowed, especially now with adv loot option.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  17. Agrippa Augur

It's normally pretty deliberate and a normal occurrence when someone parks afk at kos spawns to farm faction, tradeskill drops, plat, etc. The rule wasn't changed to target the rare afk and I highly doubt it will catch any innocents. Faction and minor experience gain were the only things exploiters could farm this way, but with the advanced loot feature it's easy to farm tradeskill drops, platinum, and older rares. I'm all for the change for these reasons. I don't care for the rule changes, that can result in suspensions or bans, being buried deep within 42 pages of topics in the Everquest knowledge base, though.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Warpeace like this.
  18. Motherlee Augur

I bet you're right! This is another poke at magicians.
  19. Motherlee Augur

Get out of here with your tired old, "Only abusers defend abuse" argument. Some of us have a morality that extends past the tips of our noses!
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  20. Motherlee Augur

/sarc Yeah, how about a rule that you aren't allowed to watch or take your hands off the keyboard while you're getting xp? All of you guys would be banned. /sarc off
    Peltier, Gyurika Godofwar and Sinzz like this.